Rear differential cooler

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
Hey Brian, When you killed the rear end in your 01, did you upgrade it with the better axlews and a torsen. I sold my 95 R so my 00R will be my Track car I jacked it up today to start planning the cooler and am trying to talk myself into the upgrade of the torsen and better axles like Joe Johnson did.

Terry,
No, i didn't upgrade it at all. The company that did the work is owned by a friend of mine, he checked everything over personally and said it all looked good. We replaced the bearings and seals. Luckily when the rear end went Dean and Kevin were behind me and let me know it was smoking before more damage was done.

I will keep it as is untill I see a need for an upgrade.

Brian

kevin

Originally posted by Andy M
Terry,

If/when my diff starts to give me problems, I plan on doing the Torsen T2R upgrade with the new halfshafts also. Joe has been having great results with this combo so far.

A cooler is a MUST if you plan on doing open track though!

i have a torsen on order for mine. it's a 4 week back order right now. the half shafts joe has are currently unavailable. there seems to be a dispute between them and ford. therefore the company can't make or sell them. i'm on the list when they do tho.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Thanks for the info Kevin! Does anyone know if the upgraded axles would be the same as the 03 Cobra axles? Or does the 03 Cobra have that stupid Gerodisc diff as well. I heard the 03 Cobras had stronger axles than the 00R.

JoeJ

Established Member
Terry,

I was told that the 03 Cobra axles would work on the Cobra R if you have the Torsen T-2R. They are also of equal lengths. I cut the boot on the driver side rear CV joint during a track event and the CV joint started throwing out the grease. I put a universal boot on it but I noticed last Thursday I was loosing grease again.
I have bought two new axles and CV joints from Ford (03 Cobra axles) but I have not installed them yet. It is a shame I have to buy new axles just to repair a broken CV boot. Hope Ford and GKN can get their problems solved soon.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Joe thanks for the info. Let me know when you get a look at both to see if both axles look like they are the same strength.

I guess if the boot is the same and they are both 31 spline they should be the same strength.

How are the 03 Cobra axles retained, internal clip? . are the GKN axles retained the same way? How much were the Ford Axles?

Joe , Thanks for the info

kevin

i may be all wet on this (won't be the first time).

looking at the pics of the rear diff cooler placement.

part of the argument for this placement behind the fuel cell under the trunk is for air flow. isn't the air in that locationa basically dead air space. wouldn't the air coming from under the car blow past that location? if so, how is this any different from the "stagnet" air sitting in the trunk.

i'm no air flow specilist by any means. just got to thinking about it is all.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
i may be all wet on this (won't be the first time).

looking at the pics of the rear diff cooler placement.

part of the argument for this placement behind the fuel cell under the trunk is for air flow. isn't the air in that locationa basically dead air space. wouldn't the air coming from under the car blow past that location? if so, how is this any different from the "stagnet" air sitting in the trunk.

i'm no air flow specilist by any means. just got to thinking about it is all.

Oh Oh, we know we are in trouble when the Colorado cowboy starts thinking. :D :D :D :D

I discussed this with Paul Brown from HP Motorsports before I did my 01. I may not remember or explain this right but he mentioned the rear of the car is a low pressure area and air kinda swirls around back there. (hows that for technical?) A sign of this is all the brake dust and dirt we get accumulating on the rear bumper, rear of the trunklid, ect. Basically I think what he was sating is a certain percentage of the air comes off the rear decklid and a swirls down around the rear of the car. I don't think it would take alot of airflow to match what that little fan on the cooler provides.

Ok, I am done with technical talk for today. :beer:

BillsSnake

:burn: All this technical talk is making my head hurt. Does anyone utilize the right rear window to pull air for the cooler? Seems to me you would get cleaner/cooler air that way.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That is the reason for the fan assist. I think the only concern is the fact that you don't want to keep recirculating the hot air over it. I don't see a problem with it. The boys over at Kenny Brown seem to think that this system works pretty well. And if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!

Kevin is a Cowboy?:lol:

SL 1993 R

Established Member
Originally posted by BillsSnake
:burn: All this technical talk is making my head hurt. Does anyone utilize the right rear window to pull air for the cooler? Seems to me you would get cleaner/cooler air that way.

I use the left rear window to push air to the cooler... NACA style that is...

:D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
That is the reason for the fan assist. I think the only concern is the fact that you don't want to keep recirculating the hot air over it. I don't see a problem with it. The boys over at Kenny Brown seem to think that this system works pretty well. And if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!

Kevin is a Cowboy?:lol:

Oh it does work fine with the fan, Bruce. I guess my point was is it really isn't taking alot of air thru the cooler to keep the temps in check.
My Main motivation on the 01 was it is still a street driven car and I didn't want the noise and smells associated with a internally mounted cooler in a car that has just as much chance being driven to a car show as it does at the track. As long as it gets good air back there, I didn't have to deal with the fan or the noise of the KB system. (not to mention it saved $1200)
The coolers are mounted inside with fans, in my 95 and the one 00R. I am alot like most of you, I have what I think is a better idea, I try it. Win, loose, or draw, it's fun to experiment. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Brian

ps. Someone pass me the advil. :smmon: :smmon:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by SL 1993 R
I use the left rear window to push air to the cooler... NACA style that is...

:D

I sure would be interested in the specifics of your setup, if it wouldn't be to much bother? :beer:

Brian

kevin

i would agree with the swirling air at the back of the car. but that's dirt on the car BEHIND the cooler.

if air is passing by, the angle you show makes me wonder how the air gets "sucked" up thru the radiator and then there is so little space on the other side. it just seems to me there's very little space for the air to pass thru and then escape.

signed colorado cobra:D

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I didn't want the noise and smells associated with a internally mounted cooler in a car that has just as much chance being driven to a car show as it does at the track.

Are you saying your pump is mounted underneith the car too?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
Are you saying your pump is mounted underneith the car too?

You can see it plainly here:
01diffcooler2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread