Replacing shaker 500 with factory navigation unit

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I see the Mustang had "late availability" regarding navigation systems but I also see that '07 models being listed as having an auxiliary input installed across the board.

Regarding wattage, as it is installed right now - no way it is even close to the Shaker500.

Off to the garage to see what I can dig up!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Tob,

My OEM NAV radio sounds the same in my 2009 Shelby as the Shaker 500 standard unit sounded in my 2008 GT. Dig deeper for information, there may be something missing.

I have an iPod interface being used with my 2009 Nav OEM head unit. I had to use a product manufactured by "iSimple Gateway" model "ISFD571". I bought mine at the local Best Buy in town and paid just under $200.00 for it. It's direct plug in into the factory wiring, and all wires are hidden in the dash. No cutting of any wires required.

iSimple Gateway allows for iPod integration into my OEM Nav radio (same as yours) and allows touch screen control of the iPod. Song and Artist are displayed on screen. The iPod is plugged into the harness, and stored safely in the center console. Unless you remove the iPod to update with iTunes on your PC, there is no need to access the iPod in the center console.

External audio inputs are also available with this device, and will allow for RCA audio and 1/8" audio jack inputs. These connections will require external control of audio device, and will not display title and artist on screen.

Exact model I used is pictured below
ISFD571.jpg

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Tob,

My OEM NAV radio sounds the same in my 2009 Shelby as the Shaker 500 standard unit sounded in my 2008 GT. Dig deeper for information, there may be something missing.

I have an iPod interface being used with my 2009 Nav OEM head unit. I had to use a product manufactured by "iSimple Gateway" model "ISFD571". I bought mine at the local Best Buy in town and paid just under $200.00 for it. It's direct plug in into the factory wiring, and all wires are hidden in the dash. No cutting of any wires required.

iSimple Gateway allows for iPod integration into my OEM Nav radio (same as yours) and allows touch screen control of the iPod. Song and Artist are displayed on screen. The iPod is plugged into the harness, and stored safely in the center console. Unless you remove the iPod to update with iTunes on your PC, there is no need to access the iPod in the center console.

External audio inputs are also available with this device, and will allow for RCA audio and 1/8" audio jack inputs. These connections will require external control of audio device, and will not display title and artist on screen.

Exact model I used is pictured below
ISFD571.jpg

Do you have pics of the ipod controls on the screen?
Ive been looking all over for something to connect my iphone into the unit other than head phone jack.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
No problem, I walked out to the car to take these for you.

Thanks for the pics. So you don't actually control it from the touch screen. It just gives you feedback on the screen as to whats playing and you use the buttons to choose track.
I was hoping it had controls on the screen kinda like a iPod wheel and you could touch it to go to next song or back.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for the pics. So you don't actually control it from the touch screen. It just gives you feedback on the screen as to whats playing and you use the buttons to choose track.
I was hoping it had controls on the screen kinda like a iPod wheel and you could touch it to go to next song or back.

You do control it from the touch screen.

In and Out: Used to navigate between folders and areas on the iPod, like you do with the thumb pad.

Ply: Push when you are on the song you want to hear. "Select" is what I think it should have been called. Also will pause IIRC.

RW and FW: Fast Forward and Rewind a song

Manual Seek: Change song up and down in the same folder (only control that's not touch screen)

Hint: Create playlists! Without the thumb pad circle on the iPod it takes forever to search for artists and albums in alphabetical order.

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
You do control it from the touch screen.

In and Out: Used to navigate between folders and areas on the iPod, like you do with the thumb pad.

Ply: Push when you are on the song you want to hear. "Select" is what I think it should have been called. Also will pause IIRC.

RW and FW: Fast Forward and Rewind a song

Manual Seek: Change song up and down in the same folder (only control that's not touch screen)

Hint: Create playlists! Without the thumb pad circle on the iPod it takes forever to search for artists and albums in alphabetical order.

Doh. I completely over looked the two pics of the screen having different images.
I think this going to be a good investment. It seems to be alot easier than holding phone and trying to find a song.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Troy, I see that the highlighted screen button is the SR, or satellite button and not the line in button. I'm not even getting my auxiliary button to highlight, and everything was plugged into its proper place (short of the nav antenna).

So...you can't use satellite radio, or what's going on? If I can't get the "LINE IN" button to lighten up and work, are you telling me that this would work anyway?

Furthermore, the kit that you purchased from Best Buy had the exact harness you needed for your GT500 and you didn't have to order anything specific to your vehicle?

Tob

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Troy, I see that the highlighted screen button is the SR, or satellite button and not the line in button. I'm not even getting my auxiliary button to highlight, and everything was plugged into its proper place (short of the nav antenna).

I understand what you mean now. The iSimple does use a simulated satellite radio input for direct digital audio, and not the line in aux function. I also have the aux input in the center console, but have no idea why yours doesn't indicate it's usable. What year is your car? What year car was the radio removed from?

So...you can't use satellite radio, or what's going on? If I can't get the "LINE IN" button to lighten up and work, are you telling me that this would work anyway?

Yes, I can still use Satellite radio even though the iSimple is installed. Sat. radio has 3 modes/channels of operation. One of the channels is taken for the use of iSimple. The other two can still be used for Sat. radio. iSimple should work regardless of your "line in" button status being "offline".

Furthermore, the kit that you purchased from Best Buy had the exact harness you needed for your GT500 and you didn't have to order anything specific to your vehicle?

Nope, I didn't require any extra/special harness at all. Everything required was included since our cars have a common platform used in other Ford vehicles with similar radios.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sawmothereffin'weet. Now its just a matter of whether BB is open tomorrow. :)

My car is an '09 (VB, WS) just like yours. The parts number on the unit crosses to a '07 convertible.

I also ran out to Office Max and picked up the latest and greatest DVD writer for my desktop, along with grabbing a 5 pack of DVD+RDL's. Laid a blank in the new drive and the wifey's 4P map DVD from her '07 Mountaineer in the old drive. Made a direct copy and ran out and installed the copy into her nav unit hot off the press.

Worked perfectly. Now if I run into somebody with an updated version I'll be able to well...you know.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Did 2007 cars have the aux input in the center console? I know my 2008 did.

No matter, the iSimple is a much better solution. It sucked reaching into the center console of the 2008 GT to change songs on the iPod. I decided not to have that headache again on the Shelby.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I believe they did

What's New for 2007

All 2007 Ford Mustangs come with an auxiliary input jack for MP3 players, while Sirius satellite radio is a new option. Late in the model year, a DVD-based navigation system will also be available.

2007 Ford Mustang

I'll be at Best Buy to get what you have. Thanks again for your help.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Troy, I need some help here.

I was able to bring up the diagnostic prompt and subsequent screens. If you could capture the matching screens from your nav system I'd appreciate, especially since our cars are the same year.

I think it was the 3 and the 6 key held simultaneously for a few seconds to bring the system up

IMG_8296.jpg

The "View DTC" button brought the following codes

IMG_8295.jpg

The connection failure should be because I have no gps antenna to plug in - yet. I guess the ECU config error has to do with some internal programming within the nav unit (incorrect vin?).

My gut tells me the items on the next screen aren't giving me or won't give me any issues.

IMG_8294.jpg

Run/acc and vehicle speed shown as being "unconfigured" raise a flag in my mind. I'd really like to know what your screen says here

IMG_8293.jpg

I'd guess I'm fine with the next screen

IMG_8292.jpg

The next screen really interests me as well. This may have to do with what as I've described as the unit not having the oomph that the Shaker500 had

IMG_8290.jpg

Anyway, if you could, some additional screenshots would really help me.

Tob

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I ran the diagnostic check, and no errors were detected. Resulting message was same as I stated, and a blank screen.

Here are the screen shots you requested. Hope this helps.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Did you find a good place for the 9P torrent?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I found 8P somewhere and downloaded it. I didn't even know there was a 9P. For now, I'm using the ancient 4P that I whipped up

IMG_8282.jpg

I gotta tell you, there is a huge lack of information regarding these systems, misinformation as well. Nobody seems to be able to put it all together. Regarding copying the DVD - wow. I finally figured out that you have to use a dual layer DVD (prior to this mod I didn't even know what that was). The factory DVD has so much data it requires almost twice the space of a standard DVD.

I inserted my copy and the system booted up - in English (thank God, as I don't speak Macedonian or some other obscure language). But since I don't have an antenna hooked up yet, the screen shows me as being in Michigan (I'm in NY). I think that is the location where it last had an antenna recognized as the seller told me he fired up the unit there.

IMG_8297.jpg

Looks like there are a few interesting screens that you can bring up - if you know how to draw the prompts out of the system. I'm trying to find out if there is a way to reprogram the unit by an internal means as opposed to external. Check this screen shot out

______________navigationscreenhack.jpg

Again, hopefully my local dealer has a guy that knows his way around these things.

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
That last screen is interesting - where did you find that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No kidding!!! I thought it was just a navigation system. There is all kinda hidden things this thing can do. How did you bring that up?

I noticed your sub option is off. So that could be why it doesn't sound as good as before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread