Road & Track: Flat Crank 600hp 5.4 NA GT350

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I just read a new article tonight about the 2015 Mustang. In addition to the base 305 hp V6, optional 350 hp 2.3L Ecoboost I4 and 450 hp 5.0 V8, they claimed information about the GT350: a flat crank V8 revving over 7000 rpm, likely displacing 5.4L, and generating nearly 600 hp. My guess is it would be an enlarged Coyote (maybe a slightly taller deck?).

Flat crank means that there are 180 degrees between crank throws instead of 90, similar to a 4-cylinder crank. One of the benefits if this design is that no two cylinders on either bank will fire back-to-back. This produces a much different sound, less American thump-thump and more race car like screamer (think Ferrari V8).

If this is true, I think the Z-28 will soon be meeting its daddy...

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
If this is true, I called it a couple months back in another thread lol. I remember saying ford could build a n/a screamer with a high rpm and get 550hp for its next special mustang. Where's my cookie haha.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member

attachment.php

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Lighter weight, plus hi-powered N.A. Engine, better weight, IRS, high revving, better interior,.....

= what he doctor ordered

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
600HP NA...? Selling the Ducati for a down payment lol... I will have a GT350 AND GT500... sick sick sick...

Too40gawlf

Banned
I'm just wondering what trans will be in the car... If they stay with the mt-82 I won't be trading my '11 in on one...

Good point. Hopefully the headaches of the last 3 years have persuaded the S550 team to go a different route (T56?) than the MT-82.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I would expect a DI 5.4, coyote/roadrunner to be around 530 or so.

Start with the 444 hp boss engine
35 hp increase for displacement
38 hp for the compression increase that direct inject can gain (13:1 or so)
12 to 15 hp for the added rpm and tuning that direct injection can gain you.

I think 600 hp N/A out of 5.4 liters is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I would expect a DI 5.4, coyote/roadrunner to be around 530 or so.

Start with the 444 hp boss engine
35 hp increase for displacement
38 hp for the compression increase that direct inject can gain (13:1 or so)
12 to 15 hp for the added rpm and tuning that direct injection can gain you.

I think 600 hp N/A out of 5.4 liters is a bit of a stretch.

With todays tech? I dont think so....... JPC made 507 to the wheels with a coyote with just boltons, a boss intake, mildly ported heads and slightly reground stock cams........

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
With todays tech? I dont think so....... JPC made 507 to the wheels with a coyote with just boltons, a boss intake, mildly ported heads and slightly reground stock cams........

I understand that, but this is going to be a factory engine with all of the reliability and NVH requirements that entails, not a custom modified ported tuned to the ragged edge engine.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I understand that, but this is going to be a factory engine with all of the reliability and NVH requirements that entails, not a custom modified ported tuned to the ragged edge engine.

Lol, it was hardly tuned to the ragged edge. However, we really dont know until Ford finally decides to confirm something about it. Definitely possible tho

badblackhemi

Established Member
Good point. Hopefully the headaches of the last 3 years have persuaded the S550 team to go a different route (T56?) than the MT-82.

If they go T56, I'll have one as soon as they come out! I know the auto is faster, there's no doubt about it. If i was buying it just for racing I'd get the auto, but my car see's the street 99.99% of the time, and I want to be able to enjoy driving it and rowing the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread