Road & Track: Flat Crank 600hp 5.4 NA GT350

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
NA and 600hp, it can sound like a cat going through a sewing machine and it will still sell.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Hmmm, 600rwhp stock out of a 2013/14 is not impressive ???

The 2013 and 2014 have cone a lot further, but his new car will be closer to earlier cars. Most enthusiasts dont want these cars for what they can do stock, they want them for what they do modded. the terminators and gt500s are great for the big performamce jump for small investment. You will not have anything close to that naturally aspirated.

I would pick a blown zl1 vs a n/a competitor from ford all day, and twice on sunday.

1hot281

Established Member
A smaller, 3200lbs Mustang, with IRS, a 350hp turbo 4-banger, and a flappy-paddle 6-speed automated manual, would wreck house if it was around $26k MSRP. It would absolutely mop the floor with anything in it's price range (like the Scion/Subaru FR-S/BRZ twins...) and being real, would probably out pace a 11-14 GT 5.0 around a road course.

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
We will be looking at around $31,400.00 MSRP on a Turbo 4, and $35,800.00 for the 5.0 Auto. Base of course.

SD_Stang

Established Member
Even the base GT if it dropped 400 lbs and got the bump to 450 hp would be light years better than an 11-14 that's f'ing huge.

The difference and starting point is night and day going from a 3650 lbs 411 hp to a 3250 450 hp I mean it's almost Fox Body territory with double the power.

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
My question is why even make the GT500 if it will be at the same range as the GT350?

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
also I heard that they wouldn't be making the 500 for a few years just to give it a rest.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
If its going to sound less like a mustang thats a major no-no to me. But the other benefits of an engine like that along with a lighter better handling chasis could be very popular and successful.

X2, I cant stand the sound of Honda engines on a street muscle/sports car. Too whiny. A formula one car is a different story.:rolling:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
ill have to see the weight loss of 400 lbs without exotic and expensive construction materials. sounds like a bit much to me but i might believe 100-150 just on size reduction alone

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
X2, I cant stand the sound of Honda engines on a street muscle/sports car. Too whiny. A formula one car is a different story.:rolling:

My SHO is without a doubt the the mack daddy of fried rice with the Corsa Exhaust....... It is a cross of an STI and a Honda with a 20 inch exhaust.......

I COMPLETELY understand the "muscle car sound"!

Mike

NametoShowOther

Established Member
I think I will like it to sound different from all my neighbors pickup trucks.

Muscle car sound is ver similar to pick up truck sound

BigDan

Established Member
I think I will like it to sound different from all my neighbors pickup trucks.

Muscle car sound is ver similar to pick up truck sound

No offence but it sounds like a low rent neighborhood cuz all the pick up trucks in my neck of the woods are diesel's. I only hear gassers with loud exhaust the closer I get to the boarder. :uh oh:

avro206

Established Member
I understand that, but this is going to be a factory engine with all of the reliability and NVH requirements that entails, not a custom modified ported tuned to the ragged edge engine.

I think your right. If this source is credible I like this direction. But I'd rather have a NA 5.8L. Might be dreaming on that one....I am not sure about this flat crank---wouldn't you want a Mustang V8 to sound like a Mustang V8?

Users who are viewing this thread