Rotors

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Is this okay? Heat checking?
rotors.jpg

It's on both drivers & pass rotors following a couple track days with HP+ pads. It's pretty narrow - the pads are wider than the ring you see in the pic.

I didn't really notice it until lately so I don't know if it was from last season or just recently as the car is out of winter storage (street usage).

I do the cool down laps and try not to let the car sit after I get into the pits (hard because HPDE1/2 makes you attend the drivers meeting right after the session).

Any negative impact?

thanks.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Looks fine to me. I'll get some pics later today of the rotor I just pulled off from my last event. It will show you what to look for.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Those are hot spots which are sort of typical if you don't season a rotor well enough, try to brake too much without the pads being bedded properly, throw too much heat into it too fast or simply overheated the rotor. Could be any combination of several things.

You should be able to work past that depending on the pad you're running. And with an HP+ I would think you could. Just make sure you have good brake cooling and don't overheat your brakes.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

David Hester

Established Member
Yeah, I don't see any cracks or heat checking. http://www.gunite.com/literature/pdf/discbrak.pdf
They usually radiate out. Like was mentiond, just hot pad residue. I had that happen to some street pads. Buffed it all off with a Scotch Brite pad on a drill. No biggie. Don't get carried away. I did take them off, so I could get to both sides. If you can get to both sides, leave on car and spin rotor as you buff. Took 15 mintues to do both sides, fronts.
image-310.php

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
They were brand new pads. I bedded them according to the instructions.

Brakes did "judder" when I was hard on the brakes following the long straight. I don't have brake ducts yet and it was really hot out so I'm sure they got pretty hot. Additionally, I had HPS pads in the rear so I figure they weren't providing any significant braking.

Sounds like it's not a huge deal - I'll buff them a little to see if that helps. I'm guessing it may be associated with My expert pad install/bedding :p.

So no expected poc/cracks on the pads?

rear hp+ pads are in hand with ducting coming soon

David Hester

Established Member
Pad shmearrr...

Gawd, it sounds so dirty when you say it. LOL

HP+ are a good street/track day pad and ducts should help, but it may be time to step up a pad. As far as changing rears, if they weren't working, the rear discs would have... Pad shmearr on them, too. The HPS are made to work at lower temps, so they would have fried first... if they got that worked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread