Taking the plunge!

Indiana Jones

Established Member
So, I am about 95% sure I am going to take the plunge and pick-up (pun intended) a Lightning. I have a few questions maybe you veterans could answer. I am aware the late model lightnings are the ones to go for...and judging from some of the trucks on here they can withstand the test of time. I am coming from a Lexus and the lightning wasn't on my radar until recently. I was set to buy a 911TT, but I think that at my age it is a bit obnoxious, hence I will hold off for a few more years.

I am a homeowner, property investor, and motorcycle enthusiast...hence I think that a truck will suit my needs (track days, a/c unit delivery to a tenant etc.). I obviously cannot go for a normal truck, because thats too boring, and I don't particularly love the other high performance trucks, so Lightning it is.

My first question is why the vast variation in prices for Lightnings? I ran a comp list based on the asking prices here and Autotrader from a big pool and the average asking price and mileage are $15,700 with 65k miles on the clock. In which case, I can probably pick one up for around 13,500-14,000 with around 60k-80k miles. Are colors and year the major factors influencing prices...or is it mileage and condition that are the heavy determining factors? Mods etc. I would assume influence pricing as well. Interested in hearing peoples opinions on pricing...

Another question is reliability? I have researched threads regarding reliability and they seem to be pretty solid, but I was wondering if the blocks are good for mods or if they are better suited staying stock and are they pricey to modify? Obviously mods, raising compression, and overall wear on the motor will be higher with 600hp etc...but there are motors such at the 911TT Mezger motor and Supra motors that are bulletproof...so just wondering if thats the case here. I am totally fine with leaving the truck stock if that is how I find one, but wanted to know if its a good/bad idea to buy a modded one too. Since I'm a rookie I don't know what to look out for!

Enough rambling for now...thanks in advance for your help!

Killer Ride

Established Member
Trucks are solid enough but you wont be getting to 500hp+ without changing rods and pistons. 500 being the maximum stock. You still have room for improvement. Stock trucks start at about 380 at the wheels. Small upgrades and you can get it to about 480hp safely. if you like turning wrenches there is a lot of maintenance to do. its not terribly hard but will definitely help with over all performance. Go for a color you like and try to find one that was well cared for and maintained, and good luck on your search

Dusten

Established Member
So, I am about 95% sure I am going to take the plunge and pick-up (pun intended) a Lightning. I have a few questions maybe you veterans could answer. I am aware the late model lightnings are the ones to go for...and judging from some of the trucks on here they can withstand the test of time. I am coming from a Lexus and the lightning wasn't on my radar until recently. I was set to buy a 911TT, but I think that at my age it is a bit obnoxious, hence I will hold off for a few more years.

I am a homeowner, property investor, and motorcycle enthusiast...hence I think that a truck will suit my needs (track days, a/c unit delivery to a tenant etc.). I obviously cannot go for a normal truck, because thats too boring, and I don't particularly love the other high performance trucks, so Lightning it is.

My first question is why the vast variation in prices for Lightnings? I ran a comp list based on the asking prices here and Autotrader from a big pool and the average asking price and mileage are $15,700 with 65k miles on the clock. In which case, I can probably pick one up for around 13,500-14,000 with around 60k-80k miles. Are colors and year the major factors influencing prices...or is it mileage and condition that are the heavy determining factors? Mods etc. I would assume influence pricing as well. Interested in hearing peoples opinions on pricing...

Another question is reliability? I have researched threads regarding reliability and they seem to be pretty solid, but I was wondering if the blocks are good for mods or if they are better suited staying stock and are they pricey to modify? Obviously mods, raising compression, and overall wear on the motor will be higher with 600hp etc...but there are motors such at the 911TT Mezger motor and Supra motors that are bulletproof...so just wondering if thats the case here. I am totally fine with leaving the truck stock if that is how I find one, but wanted to know if its a good/bad idea to buy a modded one too. Since I'm a rookie I don't know what to look out for!

Enough rambling for now...thanks in advance for your help!

There is a basic split in years. 99-00 had 360hp, a smaller maf sensor, different intake tract, 3.55 gears and a steel drive shaft. From there 01-04 are the same powertrain wise. 380hp, 3.73 gears, 90mm maf, aluminum drive shaft and a host of other changes. In 03-04 they received different rear springs that increased load capacity I the bed to 1300lbs and towing to 5k.

The general consensus is buy the newest truck you can afford.

Colors
2002 saw a single year color called true blue.
2003-2004 saw dark shadow gray and sonic blue. Red white and black are offered every year with silver being a 2000 and later color.

In stock form the trucks are very reliable. They'll handle 425-450rwhp with supporting mods all day long. Beyond that, it gets expensive.

Here's a good thread to read
http://www.lightningrodder.com/foru...5-lightning-hd-modding-101-superchargers.html

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
Trucks are solid enough but you wont be getting to 500hp+ without changing rods and pistons. 500 being the maximum stock. You still have room for improvement. Stock trucks start at about 380 at the wheels. Small upgrades and you can get it to about 480hp safely. if you like turning wrenches there is a lot of maintenance to do. its not terribly hard but will definitely help with over all performance. Go for a color you like and try to find one that was well cared for and maintained, and good luck on your search
Stock trucks are 330-350 at the wheels.

Indiana Jones

Established Member
Thanks guys, the next step for me is to accurately gauge the market. The prices vary so much it's incredible. Usually modded vehicles tend to get less, although a ton of modded trucks seem to ASK and even GET more than near stock trucks of the same caliber. As this will be a toy that I will use a couple times a week, I okay with going with an already modded truck, but a ton of the trucks seems to have a story or be overpriced.

I did a little market analysis, which I continually will add to, and found that average asking price was $15,700 with average miles being 65,000...for trucks that I deemed to be within the average scope of what I am looking for (not trucks that have 7,000 miles...nor trucks with 300,000 miles).

Any more insight as to pricing? It looks like I can grab a 2001+ with around 65k miles in the 14's...would you buy modded if it were correctly documented or go for a stocker?

Indiana Jones

Established Member
A lot of sellers also confuse fully built and modded, which are completely different...ahh the beauty of searching for a specialty used vehicle!

Dusten

Established Member
Thanks guys, the next step for me is to accurately gauge the market. The prices vary so much it's incredible. Usually modded vehicles tend to get less, although a ton of modded trucks seem to ASK and even GET more than near stock trucks of the same caliber. As this will be a toy that I will use a couple times a week, I okay with going with an already modded truck, but a ton of the trucks seems to have a story or be overpriced.

I did a little market analysis, which I continually will add to, and found that average asking price was $15,700 with average miles being 65,000...for trucks that I deemed to be within the average scope of what I am looking for (not trucks that have 7,000 miles...nor trucks with 300,000 miles).

Any more insight as to pricing? It looks like I can grab a 2001+ with around 65k miles in the 14's...would you buy modded if it were correctly documented or go for a stocker?
Depends on history of the truck. Its easy to buy a modded truck that was bought by an owner who bought it modded and the story gets muddled. If they have a good idea of the mods, can tell you who tuned it, and how its tuned, I wouldn't shy away from it.

Indiana Jones

Established Member
Baby on the way...2004 Black, clean carfax...stocker. Can't wait until she arrives. Thanks to turboboss#4 for working with me to get her to Miami. Can't say enough about him and his patience!

Users who are viewing this thread