The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

rickm8

Banned
Remember when you lower, put wider wheels on the back too, it really shows the discrepancy with the fender line!

Jefe

Established Member
Yep I needed spacers bad. Heres how my car sits now:
[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/7871883"]Weird Noise on Vimeo[/ame]

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Looks good...

Ok...so how much did you cut (front and back)??? I think I missed it in the text???

:shrug:

Thanks...

Dave

Jefe

Established Member
Looks good...

Ok...so how much did you cut (front and back)??? I think I missed it in the text???

:shrug:

Thanks...

Dave

My bad, I cut 1/2 coil off. I measured the ground to fender clearance prior and noticed the passenger side rear was higher than the driver side so I cut off about 1.5 inches more off the passenger rear spring. Sits level on each side now

hakeem_svt

Established Member
Nice & good job thread.... I chose rate is excellent.

I'll going to cut my stock springs next week but you cut half.. I'll cut a little more than half of.....

Thank you

Jefe

Established Member
Thanks! Over 2300 views, just doing my job saving Cobra owners $$$ and getting them the exact stance and same ride quality as stock

KJ04SVT

Established Member
Question?? I cut my 04 Cobra coils - 3/4 front; 1 full in rear.. Stance is perfect, love it but I'm getting some rubbing when riding over bumps or uneven road surfaces... Are the stock stocks needing to be replaced with a shocks that can be adjusted or be classified as one to use for lowered setup? I'm looking at the Koni Sports 3 stage adjustables for the rear, want to make sure they are what I need... Car does have some rebound to it just pushing down on rear area.. your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Mine does too, I need to get my fenders rolled so it wont rub and maybe shred a tire. Adjustable shocks would help but you may not like the ride quality difference. Hopefully someone else will chime in

TNT94COBRA

Established Member
never mind i figured it out. you cut from the bottom, the top needs a flat surface to sit on the frame. started mine tonight, replacing all the brakes so i figured i might as well try this too. no point in ripping it all apart again to lower it in a couple weeks. got it all apart, calipers painted, wanted to get em cut but would have woke my 1 year old daughter up!

03snakeminated

Established Member
how much easier would this be using a lift? i have a grinder (just need cutting wheel) theres this shop that would charge me $150 to remove and place back the springs but i'll be doing the cutting, (so all the hard work is off my hands) is that a reasonable amount for labor?

Jefe

Established Member
It would be easier but you still need to drop the rear to get the springs out. I think I paid a shop $50 to swap the springs out on my last GT, but $150 is not bad. You might be able to talk them down to $100 since you're doing some of the work. I wouldn't spend it since this was a great learning process for me on how the IRS works

Satyr

Established Member
what's the procedural differences with a vert?
i have a set of stock coupe springs laying around and am probably going to put them in my vert...want to lower it, though.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I need to do this...weird thing is I felt more comfortable doing a blower swap, then messing with suspension...I just want a lift, lol!

Jefe

Established Member
what's the procedural differences with a vert?
i have a set of stock coupe springs laying around and am probably going to put them in my vert...want to lower it, though.

You know im not all the sure. I know the spring rates are a little different but as far as the steps to getting it done, it might be the same. Nothing comes to mind that could be strangely different than with a coupe

Satyr

Established Member
You know im not all the sure. I know the spring rates are a little different but as far as the steps to getting it done, it might be the same. Nothing comes to mind that could be strangely different than with a coupe

Yeah, I know the steps are the same, I was more interested in how much certain cuts are going to lower the car.

Anyone done this?

Jefe

Established Member
Dude that's with 1/2 coil cut? That's slammed.:rockon: Are you running any iso's?

1/2 coil all around and 1 front iso removed. Heres some new pics. I want it lower....

36362003_Ford_Mustang_side2-1.jpg

36362003_Ford_Mustang_side1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread