The future of Shelby? SVT Cobra in 2015?

7.62x51

Established Member
What are your thoughts on this? Ive heard at Cars & Coffee that SVT will bring back the Cobra name in 2015. I write that off as speculation/rumors, but I have heard it mentioned recently from 3 separate individuals. It could be wishful thinking, but it is thought provoking.

2015 SVT Cobra, 700 HP out of a Twin Turbo 6.2?

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Not gonna happen.
Why wouldn't it? I would say the main reason why they brought back the Shelby to the S197 was because it was homage to the older Mustangs. Bringing in a whole new Mustang platform and keeping the Shelby would make no sense.

With John Coletti gone, the Cobra name won't be the same anymore anyways.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Yep. I'd rather not have a scam artist's name on the side of my Mustang. I'd love to have the Cobra name come back.

Um... Shelby is the reason we had Cobras. He's also the reason the Mustang isn't a "secratary's car". Not to mention the man that inspired the Viper. Now could you reference him being a scam artist? I'd love to read about it. Seriously.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
if they move past the retro look then there is no need for a retro throwback name either imo. Carroll Shelby is one of the most important part's of mustang history, but his name should not be placed on every top of the line mustang produced... Since the gt500's have been back for almost a decade now I think the SVT cobra badging would be a welcomed refresh.

VictorySong

Established Member
Um... Shelby is the reason we had Cobras. He's also the reason the Mustang isn't a "secratary's car". Not to mention the man that inspired the Viper. Now could you reference him being a scam artist? I'd love to read about it. Seriously.

Derp his history of "finding" original Cobras at his shop and suing the shit out of anyone and everyone is well known. The great performing mustangs were made by ford itself with the K-Code 289s, Boss 429, 351, and 302 cars. The Shelby 428 cars were ****ing dogs from the factory. Ford got the Cobra name due to Shelby's ignorance of copyright laws.

ETA: Almost forgot, he also screwed customers on the Shelby Series 1.

Last edited:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Not to poke anyone but one of the most feared mustangs even to this day had nothing to do with the Shelby name....03-04 COBRA

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
I'd like to see an SVT Cobra come back. The Shelby name made its return, now that Shelby has passed on I hope Ford will get back to SVT.

There was an article in the SVTOA magazine on how SVT all but died in its exclusivity. It used to be when buying a SVT car or having it serviced there were special sales people and techs who were at the dealership. The dealership had to be a SVT dealer member or pay an increased fee to sell a SVT car. With the new One Ford program that Ford is doing this idea didn't fit the mold. I'm surprised SVT is still being badged on vehicles like the Raptor. SVT has been watered down to so much its barely there. Everything is umbrellaed under Ford Racing now, there's no more SVT phone line, SVT trained techs, or sales people. The know-nothing off the street salesman now has the right to sell you a Fiesta or a GT500. It was nice to go to the dealer back when you felt like you were going to be taken care of better if you had a SVT. You were given a loaner car free of charge which doesn't always happen now.

In short I'd like to see SVT come back and be elevated to a status such as that of BMW M, or AMG. If your driving a SVT you're an enthusiast and should be treated better than the soccer mom who gets her oil changed at Wal-Mart.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Shelf the Shelby name. Let it go out as the 600hp beast it is. Top it in 2015, the Shelbys in the 60s and 70s didnt last long at the top as already referenced by the cars in this thread. Bring back the Cobra name plate so there can be a limited R run again. Make the new Cobra R based off the Boss 302R that is barely street legal and doesn't conform to the series requirements.

IMO the only reason Ford produces the 6.2L is for the Super Duty base engine. With the performance they are getting from their more 'hi tech engines' (3.5L, 3.7L, 5.0L) they should stick with one of those or develop a 5.8L-351ci with the same tech. The 351 is pretty synonymous with the Mach so maybe they bring that back as a top level 'drag car' and make a limited run Boss 351 for the twisties.

Last edited:

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
and i should be able to get a Handy J when while waiting to get my oil changed! Hell yeah brad couldnt agree more!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Shelf the Shelby name. Let it go out as the 600hp beast it is. Top it in 2015, the Shelbys in the 60s and 70s didnt last long at the top as already referenced by the cars in this thread. Bring back the Cobra name plate so there can be a limited R run again. Make the new Cobra R based off the Boss 302R that is barely street legal and doesn't conform to the series requirements.

IMO the only reason Ford produces the 6.2L is for the Super Duty base engine. With the performance they are getting from their more 'hi tech engines' (3.5L, 3.7L, 5.0L) they should stick with one of those or develop a 5.8L-351ci with the same tech. The 351 is pretty synonymous with the Mach so maybe they bring that back as a top level 'drag car' and make a limited run Boss 351 for the twisties.

Direct injection would make a 351 based on todays 5.0 DOHC a monster. :rockon: I wont be buying a new mustang for another 5 years at this point in life but when I do I plan on getting the top of the line motor.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Wont happen.

Ford makes too much money with the Shelby moniker than without. Dealers would hate going back to having SVT's sit around the lot and barely being able to sell them at invoice when theyre used to old geriatrics buying up Shelby's for sticker price.

Users who are viewing this thread