The future of Shelby? SVT Cobra in 2015?

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
I think that Ford has still retained the rights to use the " Shelby " name, but will launch
the 2015 SVT COBRA edition without old Carroll's name. Just my thoughts

mach14604

Established Member
SVT>Shelby all day.

SVT is just cooler, I miss the days of sleeper Mustangs.
When the terminators and new edge cobras and Foxbody Cobras blended in with regular Mustang GTs.

No gay racing stripes and flashy crap, just sleek fascias and cobra/svt emblems.

I really miss 97-2004 era
+1 on that. That is why two New Edge Cars reside in my garage. To me it was the height of the brand.

JR_GT500

SVT>Shelby all day.

SVT is just cooler, I miss the days of sleeper Mustangs.
When the terminators and new edge cobras and Foxbody Cobras blended in with regular Mustang GTs.

No gay racing stripes and flashy crap, just sleek fascias and cobra/svt emblems.

I really miss 97-2004 era

My Shelby has no stripes and has Cobra emblems. :lol:

You guys seem to forget a lot of the big time tuners, etc are just as crooked. Look at Hennessee any what he did to the Viper and Vette guys. Yet, he's all over the trade mags these days.

redline

Established Member
can we all say shelby gt350.what we should fear is no svt .thats 2015.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
I would love the return of the SVT COBRA name plate myself also. I respect the heritage of Shelby automobiles . . But the SVT BRAND has been disrespected by many magazine etc by saying the SHELBY GT500 is produced by SHELBY . Even Randy Pobst stated in his Lightning Lap GT500 test . . I quote “THANK YOU MR. SHELBY.“ . In the comparison test between the Hennessey HPE 550 vs Shelby GT500 vs Dodge Challenger SRT8 , the commentator gave the misinformation that SHELBY removes the standard mustang gt’s 4.6 and replaces it with a 5.4 L supercharged engine. Mr. Coletti would have made it known that SVVT MAKES THE GT500 if he was the lead engineer in my opinion.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I would love the return of the SVT COBRA name plate myself also. I respect the heritage of Shelby automobiles . . But the SVT BRAND has been disrespected by many magazine etc by saying the SHELBY GT500 is produced by SHELBY . Even Randy Pobst stated in his Lightning Lap GT500 test . . I quote “THANK YOU MR. SHELBY.“ . In the comparison test between the Hennessey HPE 550 vs Shelby GT500 vs Dodge Challenger SRT8 , the commentator gave the misinformation that SHELBY removes the standard mustang gt’s 4.6 and replaces it with a 5.4 L supercharged engine. Mr. Coletti would have made it known that SVVT MAKES THE GT500 if he was the lead engineer in my opinion.

See this is where you are short sighted.

It doesnt matter whos name is on the car as long as it sells

I am sure that sticking the shelby name on the car makes it sell more and for more $$ thus making the engineers more money.

Who cares about PUBLIC perception of credit when it comes to who made it.

Ford KNOWS its SVT that builds it, and SHELBY that sells it

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
This, Being 16 at the time of the New Edge stangs, I think they'll always be my favorite stylistically. I know I'm probably more in the minority here, but I was real disappointed they went retro in 05. I wanted to see the evolution of the New Edge with a better chassis under it. Instead, cars got bigger and the styling was sent back 40 years.

Agree.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
What sucks even more is that finally when SVT was getting a real name for themselves thanks to the 03/04 Cobra. They changed styles and went for Shelby. Confused the crap out of people so practically every Cobra they see, they call it a Shelby.

Not trying to take anything from this but IMO Gone in 60 Seconds made the Shelby name bigger to the newcommers.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
What I heard this week that is officially unofficial is a 2016 Shelby GT350. The GT500 is going away and the SVT Cobra is coming back but it may be naturally aspirated. There is also expected to be another Mach1 soon following. The 2015+ Mustang will lose the retro styling and return to pick up where the SN95 left off. Hopefully I will have the Z06 paid off by then!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting if that pans out. Because right now, Shelby has a 2014 GT-350 that makes 430hp naturally aspirated, and then two upgrades (blown) that make 525hp and 624hp. So it wouldn't be surprising if a "base" GT-350 making 430hp was badged an SVT Cobra, and then either offer a 525hp GT-350 or a 625hp GT-350. Or, heck, maybe offer both. That would maybe give us an entry level GT-350 variety badged as a Cobra, and then one or two GT-350 models priced above the Cobra. Maybe Ford wants to offer the high end buyer a couple of power choices and basically help more people get into a higher performance Mustang.

If you want to see what the 2014 GT-350 looks like, here's a link. Shelby American Inc. - 2013 GT350

Jroc

Established Member
they already said they are dropping the shelby name since he passed

Fingers crossed.

The SVT Mustang is suppose to be called COBRA, and not SHELBY GT500.

That would kind of be like calling the new Z/28 a Yenko Camaro when it's not really a Yenko. Even though GM owns the name it would be stupid to change the name that has already built credit from the cars among fans/enthusiast, and to call a new Z/28 the name of a closed down dealership who was famous for modding some of the baddest Camaro's of the late 60's. The 2007 Shelby GT500 aren't the same Shelby that a 65-71(or whatever year they ended) was. Those cars were built with Shelby being the lead engineer/shot caller, and the new Shelby GT500 is just a SVT designed Mustang that has Shelbys blessing to use his name on it. Cobra worked find as the SVT Mustangs name and was established as the name of the SVT Mustang and changing it was stupid IMHO.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
My guess...the Shelby GT350 will be NA up near 475hp and will be a track-oriented replacement for the BOSS. T'is fitting to give a final nod to CS by seeing his road racing heritage honored with a Mustang bearing his name - the historic GT350 - capable of running in TUSC and the Pirelli World Challenge kicking Camaro's ass. CS and Ford racing history are forever entwined.

The Top 'Stang will be the SVT Cobra...FI of some sort. TT...maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread