Things from childhood you still resent your parents for?

92z28

Established Member
My parents were pretty useless, I haven't talked to my mom in years and now that I don't live under my dad's rules we get along better.

Interesting thing though is that they always bought us lots of stuff, I had all the video games I wanted, cable and a big tv in my bedroom plus when I was 16 they bought me a 1992 Z28.

They had the idea that material things = parenting

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't say that I resent my parents for anything they did (or didn't do) when I was a kid. I didn't have everything I probably thought I needed or deserved, but they taught me the value of working hard and not become tied to material things. They made mistakes as parents (we all make mistakes) but I learned a lot from them. My dad passed away 4 years ago and I will always love and honor him, no matter what he did or didn't do for me. Same with my mom. Instead of remembering what they didn't do, I'd rather remember all the great things they did do for me. Especially the things that make me laugh or get warm inside. I have to say despite the fact that I probably wasn't the happiest kid on the block back when I was a kid, I do have nothing but fond and appreciative memories of my parents. I can only hope that the memories I (and my sweetheart wife) leave with our own kids (parents themselves now) will be wonderful as well.

tj04cobra

Established Member
The things I hated the most as a little kid I am thankful for now. My dad had me turning wrenches in the garage with him every chance he got on his 69 Chevelle SS since I was 11 all the way thru high school. We went thru the whole car taking out the 396 and putting a built 496 BBC with a fat ass cam and huge AFR heads and a built rear and trans. The car turned out pretty sick. I always wanted to go do kid crap, but damn am I glad because I possess some decent skills in turning wrenches as a career. I am thankful because a lot of kids don't have parents to spend time with. I hated that he was so damn hard on me and would NEVER relax. Now I looked back and see how much it was for the good of me and I had to call him and thank him a while back. He taught he good work ethic. I was raking in good money for a twelve year old mowing 10-15 lawns a week every summer till I was old enough to have a real job and then pay for my first vehicle and fix it up almost on my own. I never ever played video games, EVER. I'm glad about that he wouldn't let me.

I tried college for a bit but it was hard for me to pay for books and tuition on my own without getting loans. So I hit the work force and started turning wrenches. I got some bad ass training from my boss who I work for now and I LOVE what i do.

So thanks dad, I ain't hatin!

bright blue

Established Member
I never really got to be a kid. I had to work on the farm my whole life, and still do, but I am a better man for it. I understand the value of a hard days work and the value of a dollar. I did miss out on a lot, I only got to go out one night a week, either Friday or Saturday, most of the time if I did go out, I was too tired to stay out very long. Luckily though, I did have a girl friend that helped me on the farm, helped milk cows, feed calves, things like that, so we got to spend a lot of time together and now she is my wife, so I have my farm to thank for that. So, nah, I don't hate for what I missed, but I am easier on my kids because of it.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
My Dad had a 65 Mustang that he bought new when I was a baby. When I was 15 he sold it. I begged him not to so that I could have it.

It was stolen from the guy he sold it to with in a year.

/resent is too strong a word.
// disappointed, perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread