tire size question

outlaw trucker

getting ready to order tires for my 13 shelby,heres the question,has any one put 315 35 20s on stock rear rims,and if so did the side walls stick out past fenders or experience any rubbing?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm currently rocking 315 NT05Rs on my stock wheels, they fit perfect and the car still handles great. Or you can run 305/35R20 Mickey Thompson ET streets. I definitely will be trying those next, I want more traction

Established Member
I'm currently rocking 315 NT05Rs on my stock wheels, they fit perfect and the car still handles great. Or you can run 305/35R20 Mickey Thompson ET streets. I definitely will be trying those next, I want more traction

I think a Nitto 315 is closer to a MPSS 305 in width. Still a wide tire tho.

Smackiavelli

Established Member
The widest tire Michelin recommends for our stock 9.5" rims is a 285. A number of folks are running 295s without any problems. I recommend against going any larger.

OP:

If you opt for the MPSS 315s, you'd be best served to refrain from attempting a jerry job on the stock rims. I have a pair of MPSS 315s sitting in my office (the only place in Casa Smackiavelli safe from the determined efforts of my two behemothic, testicularly-equipped canines to mark them) awaiting the arrival of their companion rims. My measurements show the MPSS 315s to be a full two inches wider than the stock GY 285s (caveat: this assessment has been made by a wordmatician who experiences the challenge of solving Fermat's Last Theorem every time he counts the number of wheels on his Shelby). Like Senor 2112 (if I'm not mistaken), I ordered 11" Forgestar F14s on which I plan to mount the rear meats (9.5" for the 275/40/19 fronts). All indications are that for the Michelins, if not for many 315s, 11" rims represent the ideal mate. I'm sure for the brands that are not pushing the boundaries of their sizes, as do the Michelins, a 10.5" wheel is suitable for 315s. I agree with Nawwwwww-tuuuuuuun, however, that 295 is about as wide as you should go on the stock (rear) rims if you choose the MPSSes.

Good luck and may The Traction be with you.

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I've seen a set of 295 invos and mpss tires on a 9.5 wheels. The invo look odd with the side wall bulging out but the mpss looked great. The side wall pushed out past the wheel but it was still perfectly flat. No bulge to it. It looked like it would protect the wheel also if you happen to hit a curb. I'm not sure but I think mpss tires have very thick sidewalls because of this.

Johnny GT500

Established Member
Smack, what changes do have to make to fit the forgestars/315s? I've been looking to run same rim/tire set up.

Smackiavelli

Established Member
Smack, what changes do have to make to fit the forgestars/315s? I've been looking to run same rim/tire set up.

My new rims and tires are not yet on the Shelby - I don't know if any modification in my case will be necessary. Theoretically, you *shouldn't* have to make any modifications to fit the 20X11 Forgestars with MPSS 315s. There is, however, the possibility that you will have to relocate the bump stops. This hinges on how low your car sits and whether or not the rear end is well-centered. It is my understanding that, from car to car, there is some variability in how perfectly centered the rear end is from the factory.

Another factor is if you have correctly installed/adjusted panhard bars. In most cases, this suspension mod also aids in avoiding contact with the bump stops. Again, though, that is not a hard and fast rule (some GT500es with larger rims/tires and panhard bars installed still experience rubbing against the bump stops, although this most often occurs when the car is lowered more than 1.5"). The bottom line is that chances are good you can run MPSSes on the 20X11 Forgestars devoid any modification, but don't don't be surprised if it turns out that you must relocate the bump stops.

One other note: I went with offsets of +53 for the rears and +35 for the fronts. I recommend you do close to the same if this is the setup you end up choosing.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
One other note, if your desire is more traction and you are spending more money on the wider tire, you are effectively waisting some of that money bc you are narrowing the tire contact patch by squeezing it on a narrow wheel. Either have the wheels widened or save money and get 295s or maybe 305s. Hell I haves 305s in the works for my 11" wheels currently being built. I wanted 315s but other constraints prevented that ;)

Btw, I too went 9.5 (35mm) and 11(52mm).

Last edited:

svt_king_cobra

Established Member
You can run NT05R 315 on stock wheels, I ran TOYO R888 285/35/20 same size as stock tires but 0.3" wider and has a great traction to keep your beast on the road. i highly recommend TOYO R888 if you have stock wheels.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
You can run NT05R 315 on stock wheels, I ran TOYO R888 285/35/20 same size as stock tires but 0.3" wider and has a great traction to keep your beast on the road. i highly recommend TOYO R888 if you have stock wheels.

Weren't you just asking about the best tires for street and racing from a 40-60 roll? Im guessing the TOYO wasnt great for that then?

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
I went with 295 vorti tires on my setup. Not a popular ootion on these boards it seems like bit in very imoressed with them so far

svt_king_cobra

Established Member
Weren't you just asking about the best tires for street and racing from a 40-60 roll? Im guessing the TOYO wasnt great for that then?

Yes its me :)
I went for TOYO R888 on my car and drive it every day, it is a great tire for stock wheel even if you want to rolling 40-60 (2nd gear) it sticks to the road.

evil eye

Established Member

I heard from someone else on another forum that they don't offer that tire for our 19" wheel. You have 19's up front and 20 in the rear right?

Users who are viewing this thread