Tow hooks for '04 Cobra

pkwest

Established Member
I sent the above pic to maximum motorsports. I mis understood where he told me. here is his reply.
The tow hook on our race car is located on the inner fender support near the firewall. I would not suggest towing the vehicle from the location pictured as you may damage the unibody by doing so. The only place strong enough to properly distribute towing loads that far forward is the frame rail. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your interest in Maximum Motorsports products.
maximum.gif

David Hester

Established Member
remember you need to decide which direction your tug is going.
imga7156mediumzw5.jpg

shear is to the rear. that ring could easily snap. had a buddy snap a ring off his GT-1 car that was in the wrong orientation. figure 6,000 lb sling shot. the snapped off piece becomes a missle. the ring ended up across track, stuck in the dirt. Not Good!

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
If you go to the 2000 Cobra R section Powershift has a thread with his tow hooks, they look good and work well.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
If you go to the 2000 Cobra R section Powershift has a thread with his tow hooks, they look good and work well.

I went through the Cobra R forum and couldn't find it. I even searched through all of Powershift03 (the only Powershift that's posted in the Cobra R forum) posts. Still nothing.

Could you link to the thread, please? Thanks.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
From what I see in the link, Powershift welded tow hooks to the middle of the front and rear bumper support. That is the weakest place according to what I have been reading on here. Or am I wrong?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
You are not wrong.

But then, I thought I had looked through all of that guy's posts, and I must have missed it, so don't go by me. :bash:

Last edited:

Maynor

Established Member
I popped my intercooler again (3rd time) at my last event so I'll be replacing it this weekend and will attempt to make another run at bolting up a tow hook since the bumper will be off. With some reinforcement, I'm going to try to pull the car onto my trailer with a winch to see how effective it is assuming the weather holds out.

Damn intercooler. The very weird thing is all 3 times its popped, its been coming out of Oak Tree in 2nd gear at WOT at VIR. Doesn't do it at any other track. Bah, just another "joy" of racing weirdness. It was mighty interesting being a "momentum" car again. Finished two laps then pulled in figuring the extra richness wasn't' good for the cylinder sidewalls.

John

Maynor

Established Member
I gave up on the bolt-up tow hook. I'm getting a roll cage put in and asked the welder to use that Corvette tow hook I already had and weld up a simple mount.

I am happy with the result. These aren't the greatest pics and besides the car being filthy, the tow hook was a used one and will be repainted. I'll clean it up and snap real pictures with better paint later.

Pictureb.jpg

He welded a 1' section of steel to the bottom face and front face of the bumper. The rear of the bumper wouldn't work like others have shown in this thread since the A-A intercooler wouldn't have enough clearance.

The hinged tow hook was welded to the of bottom of the bumper so the hook, when flapped down, is flush with the bumper cover face. No banging my shins into it while working under the hood. The hook is also mechanically limited from swing back into the lower part of the bumper cover so at speed, its not going to hurt the paint.

Picturea.jpg

He added a diagonal from the front face of the bumper down to the tow hook to triangulate the whole set-up. Its drop dead solid.

Besides the car now looking like a panting dog with its red tongue hanging out, I'm happy with it.

John

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Damn intercooler. The very weird thing is all 3 times its popped, its been coming out of Oak Tree in 2nd gear at WOT at VIR.

John,

The hook looks good. As for the intercooler popping at Oak Tree, the one and only time I had my intercooler piping pop loose was coming out of Oak Tree as well.

Kevin

racer

Established Member
man youre car is bad ass how much did the whole set up on the cage and suspension run you look awsome .

Thanks, not sure how much it cost and dont really want to add it up. The car is pretty much being re-built at the moment tho. New cage etc.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Wow, this thread has been dormant for a while. And many of us are still going to the track just hoping and praying we never see the wrong end of an EV hooking up to us.

But I've taken care of the rear of my car at least.

hook1.jpg

hook2.jpg

Will it hold? I know the trailer hitch will. Will a flat tow rig's hook fit it? I hope I never find out, but the ones I saw at VIR will.

Now to keep after the front. Still lots of great ideas in this thread, and a friend of mine just put a fold down one on his Cobra, through the bumper. I may need to resign myself to that. :shrug:

David Hester

Established Member
That should work fine for dragging you out of gravel traps.
Not sure I would want to be towed backwards for very far, anyway. :uh oh:

Users who are viewing this thread