Trans for turbo's

savant

Death Dealer
Established Member
Going twin turbo soon, just wondering what transmissions/clutch you guys are running and how you like it. Looking at the 700hp range.

jackhimup

Established Member
MMR TKO 900... 4.10s.

I love it. I have a turbo and 700+ rwhp.
The TKO is fun though too.

What are you going to be doing with the car?

savant

Death Dealer
Established Member
I mostly just drive it on nice days around town. Every once in awhile ill drive it up to IL (7 hours) If i do take it to the strip it only about three times a year.

savant

Death Dealer
Established Member
I run a Lentech Full manual Auto and love it.

I really have been throwing this idea around just don't know how much they cost. I would like to take a ride in one before i pull th trigger on this.

Last edited:

DanielP

Established Member
Not to whore out your thread or anything. But can someone tell me what is needed to run a TH400? Or point me to a link or something.

Thanks,
Daniel

blowngt

Established Member
If it's mostly a track car, I'd say the TH400. If you drive it on the street (like the 7 hr trips you mentioned) then a 4R70W is the way to go.

I'm running a 4R70W built by a local shop and it's awesome. With a 28" tire and 3.55 gears, I can cruise at 70MPH on the highway just under 2k RPMs (I was running a 26" tire with 3.31 gear before I made the switch).

If you decide to go with the 4R70W, check your valve body carefully. I've seen both PA and Lentech valvebodies come bad right out of the box.

Wildcard

Established Member
TH400 w/o question. Making the switch myself.

Love the avatar. " Ima Lead Farmer MuthaF$&@ker!" -Sgt. Lincoln Osiris.
:rockon:

T56 26 spline with Ford Shelby GT500 twin clutch. Love it on the street. Also recommend the 4r70w with the Baumannator.

Last edited:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
If it's mostly a track car, I'd say the TH400. If you drive it on the street (like the 7 hr trips you mentioned) then a 4R70W is the way to go.

I'm running a 4R70W built by a local shop and it's awesome. With a 28" tire and 3.55 gears, I can cruise at 70MPH on the highway just under 2k RPMs (I was running a 26" tire with 3.31 gear before I made the switch).

If you decide to go with the 4R70W, check your valve body carefully. I've seen both PA and Lentech valvebodies come bad right out of the box.

If he doesn't plan on making more than 800ish rwhp, then yes, a 4R70W would be a better choice b/c of the O/D.

Love the avatar. " Ima Lead Farmer MuthaF$&@ker!" -Sgt. Lincoln Osiris.

Last edited:

blowngt

Established Member
If he doesn't plan on making more than 800ish rwhp, then yes, a 4R70W would be a better choice b/c of the O/D.

Built right, a 4R70W can handle more, but again, it's gotta be built right.

This shop has several cars running 8's and 9's on full weight turbo cars with a 4R.

That being said, I would still take a TH400 for an all out drag car......

blowngt

Established Member
what can the built 4R70W's handle? I read the 4R75w's in the Mach I are good to 700 out of the box.

Lentech claims to have one good to 1500 HP.

I've personally don't know anyone making that much that is using one, but I've personally made 780 thru mine, no issues.....

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Built right, a 4R70W can handle more, but again, it's gotta be built right.

This shop has several cars running 8's and 9's on full weight turbo cars with a 4R.

That being said, I would still take a TH400 for an all out drag car......

I agree with you but I've personally seen too many fail when they were "built right". I've never personally built one so I do not have first hand experience with one. I'd rather take my chances on a 110% tried and true TH400 and slap and Gear Vendors O/D on it or do a 4L80E swap. Parts for the TH400 are everywhere and they are cheap. Just my opinion though. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread