• Welcome to SVT Performance, your home for all things SVT

Want to order 2012, but terrified of MT-82 problems

Discussion in '2011-2014 Mustang Talk' started by anthb314, Aug 10, 2011.

1. anthb314

anthb314 New Member Established Member

I test drove several cars over the past few weeks and none of them compared with the mustang. I also test drove an auto and hated it compared to the manual w/ a 373. Should I just get it and hope for the best? Or would it be possible to order one with a Tremec T56?

2. Trbo6gn1

Trbo6gn1 New Member Established Member

Do us all a favor and find something else to buy. You'll just become one of the people who bitches and moans about everything on the car. Hell you're already complaining about a car you havn't even bought yet.

3. anthb314

I'm just trying not to make a huge mistake. Although it seems like all the cars I'm interested in have something wrong with them, e.g. the rear end of CTS-Vs.

4. 04sonicbeast

04sonicbeast Member Established Member

Ford is not going to sell a broken vehicle, and if you have problems that's what the warrAnty is for. All cars have problems of some sort.

5. mustangmanjeff

mustangmanjeff Active Member Established Member

0r how about you wait for the recall? or buy a 2013/2014 model? or buy 1 with the 6 speed auto, the new 6 speed autos are not like the old days of boreing sluggish 3-4 speed auto aod/aode / 4r7w0 transmissions

6. anthb314

I drove the auto and hated it compared to the 6 speed with .373. I am just a manual guy, been driving manuals since I turned 16. Waiting for the recall/2013 is a good idea, but right now I am driving a 97 civic that is going to need a bunch of repairs so I'd like to get rid of it before putting any more money in it. Of course, I could fix it up and then use it as my beater.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. mustangmanjeff

mustangmanjeff Active Member Established Member

I hear you but FYI..The new autos dont have the problems like the 6 speed manual, and once you do a gear swap / tune they firm up the shifts and the new autos are faster then the 6 speed manuals

8. 351inside

351inside Active Member Established Member

Never had any problems with my 2011 and I bought it last june/july

9. MyStang2010GB

MyStang2010GB New Member Established Member

I had thoughts like you as well. I have a couple friends with the manual transmission that are having problems. Still, I decided to take my chances anyways since the Boss is a dream car. I also have the 6 Yr / 100,000 mile Extended FORD Warranty if needed. So far...no issues!!

10. jmatero

jmatero New Member Established Member

You'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth taking a chance right now. All you can do is ask yourself how you would feel if yours developed issues. Keep in mind there is still no fix. Also ask yourself how you feel about the way Ford has handled this. If you're seeing red flags, trust your gut. It's only a car and there are other fish in the sea. As a stick driver myself, I completely agree with your assessment of the automatic.

1. Wait and see what develops with the NHTSA investigation
    2. Get a GT500 which has the Tremec TR6060
    3. Scratch the Mustang off your list and take a look at the competition

My only advice to you is that, since I've been through two of these transmissions at only 5000 miles...and there is no fix forcing me to pursue the lemon law... The argument "that's what warranties are for" doesn't apply here.

We don't know how many are affected... But Ford does and will make that available to the NHTSA. I can tell you that the reports to Feds doubled in the past 48 hours.

Good luck to you!

11. Torch10th

Torch10th I make hits Established Member

If you're set on the mustang I would order a car. New GT's are hard to come by right now. Not the least of which has to do with low availability of the MT82 transmission.

There's been rumors (unsubstantiated) that Ford might be overhauling this piece and possible engine related items which is keeping inventories very low right now.

With that said, I wouldn't fear the car. It's more likely that you'll receive a good car vs. a poor one. If you do receive a car that has a transmission problem, you at least know that Ford and others are aware of possible issues and there's likely going to be some measure of resolution. This is what the warranty is for.

As Nike would say. "Just Do It!"

12. wbt

wbt Banned

I haven't had a single issue with mine and it now has 8K+ on the OD.

I take the car to the track with slicks and run the piss out of it. It has never let me down.

Personally I think the % of cars with legit transmission issues is low. There are related driveline components that contributed to the majority of owner issues. Ford has rectified most of those. The aftermarket offers solutions.

1. Replace stock clutch. (I feel Ford has a handle on this.)
    2. Replace stock shifter and remote shifter mount. (I feel Ford does not have a handle on this.)
    3. Replace the transmission fluid. (I use Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil and it has been great. Ford offers a DCT fluid replacement for those who complain of cold weather shifting notchiness.)

13. WHITEMACH

WHITEMACH New Member Established Member

if you are that worried get the auto and put in a 3.73 and a tune,,,complete animals!!!

14. dynasty_365

dynasty_365 New Member Established Member

Ordered mine in December and got my 12 in may and haven't looked bad. I've had it three months and haven't had any problems with my 6mt with 3.73 gears thank the lord. I've put almost 6000 miles on it 4 months and at times I know I can run it hard. Man I love the new stangs. Stop worrying and go for it. More than likely u won't have any issues

15. jj6077

jj6077 New Member Established Member

get the car. The problem isnt as big as you make it out to be. This car is the bee's knees, if I could go back in time to before I bought the 5.0, I'd probably get a different color but that's it.

16. jj6077

jj6077 New Member Established Member

Also, if you test drove a manual and liked it, then thats even better. Majority of the "issues" people have with the transmission is notchy shifting.

17. jmatero

jmatero New Member Established Member

The MT82 isn't being investigated for notchy shifting. It's being investigated for NO shifting.

18. fordrevhead

fordrevhead New Member Established Member

+1 same here

19. 05_Evolution

05_Evolution I wish I was fast Established Member

Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
    Agreed. I'm a little worried that I may get a car with issues but that is what warranty's are for and I will be purchasing the extended warranty. I honestly can't wait for my car.

20. dro

dro Stock 5.0 w/ mods > * Established Member

Just don't mod it so you can warranty-up when you have problems. :beer: