What happens when the FPDM go bad?

RED99VASVT

Established Member
Fpdm

Check your reset button first. Its located behind the trunk panel on the driver's side - rear. All it takes is a bump while you're in the trunk to make it trip off.
Normally when the driver (FPDM) goes bad, there is no fuel pressure because the fuel pump is not working.

Tango7

Established Member
Mine did not have any fuel pressure when you mashed the gas pedal.. Unplug sensor and try it again it will have I think 30 psi.. Mine went bad last winter and the car would not run... I unplugged the sensor and the car would run fine,but the check engine light would come on..

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Tango, sounds like you are talking about the Fuel rail pressure sensor, not the FPDM.

A bad FPDM will throw a code. In most cases the issues relate to thermal limiting from driving pumps that suck too much power.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
It's a driveability problem, it's fully tune. No problems till this weekend, driving in 4th and 5th gear the car lean's right pass 17.1 a/f ratio on my wideband. And you can feel it, almost starving for fuel. If the fuel pressure sensor was bad, there would be a code. If the inersha switch (don't mind the bad spelling) it would have no fuel pressure. If the the fpdm was bad, same thing. So this points me to a bad fuel pump, or a pump on it's way out. But the car only has 30,000 miles. Fuel pressure checked in at 28@idle, and 38 with the vacuum off.
Any help guys?
Thanks

Quadcammer

Established Member
Your fuel pressure sounds pretty good.

most bad frps don't throw a code.

Does it start up ok? Ever shut off on you?

whats your fuel pressure doing when it starts to go lean?

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
Starts up ok, never shuts off. Never test drove it with the gauge on. But when i pulled the vacuum line off the pressure switch, it spikes at 38. Then when i reinstalled the vacuum line it would drop below 20. I asked a ford tech, and he said if the FPDM is in the trunk, usually they don't have trouble. He said, by the sounds of things it's the pump getting weak.

Quadcammer

Established Member
I agree that its not the fpdm.

That said, I think the only way you can tell for sure is to datalog fuel pressure with a/f to see whats going on.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
Well.....fuel pressure at idle after took it for a drive with the gauge on was 24psi.
With the vaccum off was 36. When it was leaning over to 16.8-17 crusing, it was maybe 22psi. Which in my eyes, points to the fuel pump.
Anyone know where i can get a svt focus pump? Also, when you install the focus pumps, how do you re-install the crimp flex line in the tank unit?

Thanks guys

Quadcammer

Established Member
I like the Ford GT pump or a stock replacement if you aren't making over say 330rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread