What is the best way to lower my Lightning?

lightning02man

I just bought my first Lightning Monday. Its a 02 all stock

Im just wondering what the best way to lower it is?

(front spindles? control arms? coils?) along with (shackles? And maybe one removed leaf?). I dont want camber or allignment issues and i want a pretty decent ride, and mainly this is to close the wheel gap and for looks. I don't see myself spending $1000+ for the Roush kit etc.

If you guys could tell me specific brands with the part, that would be great.

Lastly, I obviously know that lowering the truck will hurt the towing, but I might need to occasionally tow a 21ft boat.. Concerns?

Thanks so much in advance!
-Austin

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
Ford Racing 99-04 Lightning Drop Kit - Suspension Systems - Suspension - 99-04 SVT Lightning

It's just over a 1" drop... nothing extreme but it's cheap!. I'm not completely sure what system I have(will look through previous owner paperwork when I get home) but it's pretty low and I towed a 19' center console deep v with no problems. Well no problems other than the 9mpg. I'm pretty sure the long bars helped it from bottoming out on the leafs. Oh I have the tow hitch removed because it would bottom out on speed bumps and the long bars drag speed humps all the time, it's that low.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I had the Hotckeis lowering kit and the drop looked good. However if I did another drop I would run with drop spindles and use 4 inch drop shakels in the rear.

4a7191a

Established Member
i just ordered my frpp lowering kit a few minutes ago. :) ill take before and after pics on the install and give you guys a review on it as well.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Here's a LFP's Hotchkeis lowering kit with two inch drop shakels for the rear.
P1270183.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the hotchkis kit rides pretty damned stiff though... The best combo of suspension geometry, drop and ride comfort is the drop spindles and with shackles and/or hangers in the rear. You keep your stock spring rates, with better handling and looks

lightning02man

I think I might go with Belltech 2 inch drop spindles, and how exactly would I lower the rear 3-4 inches? (I know I need shackles, but what else will I need?)

Thanks guys!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the 4" shackles will net somewhere around 3 inches...you will likely need to correct your pinion angle. I know on an 03/04 just removing the shims all together usually puts it back into spec, Im not sure on a 99-02 which have different leaf packs

4a7191a

Established Member
well double crap !
i bought my frpp kit and didnt bother to check under my lightning and you know where this is going.... its already got a small drop on it ! its 2" from what i can tell. the front end is high, i was guessing the alinement wasnt done right, there isnt a camber kit on it. ill get that checked tomarrow. my local lightning buddy, whoms done alinements said with out the camber kit, they had to raise the crap out of it to get it in spec. i was pissed, yet ok with it. thats what i get from buying the truck from an idiot i guess . ( he knew nothing about the truck other than he paid a speed shop to make it go fast.) the oil pans been off , eatons been taken apart and since i had it up i noticed the fuel tanks been dropped before.
(please have been a member of the VBC and have decent rods :)
anyways,
since ive got a brand new kit that i had free shipping on ill pass it on to someone else in the market when i get time.
ill post a pic of it tomarrow so you guys can see it. :)

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
JLP Racing is the only place that sells a rear shackle to drop it 3" or more, they're pricey but worth it. I have a set on mine.

Congrats on the L! Please browse the FAQ page and do some general searches in here as well as the How-To section, there is HOURS of reading for stuff you can spend time and money on.

:beer:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
If you're dropping the rear more than 2", you need a hanger kit as well, at some point the shackles hit the underside of the fender. Plus, gotta keep the pinion angle right.

Users who are viewing this thread