• Welcome to SVT Performance, your home for all things SVT

What the H33L is a WRX STI?

Discussion in 'Road Kill Drive-Thru' started by 08snake, May 4, 2003.

1. 08snake

08snake Formerly 03snake Established Member

Coming home from work tonight, I came up behind a WRX STI, at least thats what was on the rear. Not sure how modded he was, except for the exhaust I considered parking in. But as I went around him, I got on it a little bit, enough to normally pull away from a WRX, and DAMN, he started pulling on me pretty good. I was impressed with his power, We were on a two lane street with no traffic, so we were unable to open it up, but as he pulled on me, I had to open it up a little bit and give him a dose of reality. What HP are these coming with. Fast for a small 4-door. I bet fun to drive also.

2. logan_yomtov

logan_yomtov New Member Established Member

300hp. 300tq. turbo charged 4cyl. awd.

3. 08snake

No wonder. How much does it weigh?

4. shanker

shanker Cheesecake FTW! Established Member

Those things cost almost as much as an '03 Cobra right? I thought I saw MSRP of about $35K awhile ago.

5. new2BIGPAR

new2BIGPAR New Member Established Member

I didn't now they were out yet.:shrug: The STI is the nicer and faster version of the WRX. It has a 2.5 turbo charged 4 cylinder in it and is AWD as well.

6. Got-Cobra?

Got-Cobra? Member Established Member

It was probably just a regular WRX with the STi badges and the basic mods. The 04's aren't out yet and those are the quick ones. Until then you could only get them in Europe and they had 286 HP!

The 04 STi will be a quick car, should run high 12's bone stock!

03 Cobra owners that can't drive better start working on there launch because those AWD cars can be mean out of the hole on the street.

7. SStupid

SStupid New Member Established Member

Tranny

Unless Subaru has a fix for that WEAK transmission, I'm not going to worry too much. They cost so much that I don't think your average punk will be able to purchase one, so that will cut down on a lot of hassle.

8. 03Sssnake

03Sssnake Active Member Established Member

Re: Tranny

Never under estimate the willingness of your average punk to go into debt ;-) As for the tranny, there not as bad as they were when the new wrx's first came out...

9. RossSVT

RossSVT New Member Established Member

They fixed the tranny. New close ratio STI performance 6 speed.

10. BBriBro

BBriBro New Member Established Member

LOL, I guess some people ONLY read FORD magazines :)

11. Cobra'03

Cobra'03 New Member Established Member

I read it was around $32k. They will be making about 300/month. Subaru makes great cars - well engineered, high quality materials, the fit and finish put our cobras to shame. I own an Outback and do all my own work, and have been impressed with how these things are made. Do not dismiss this car lightly - it is a force to be reckoned with, and will runs circles around our cars in the twisties.

12. davidmax

davidmax New Member Established Member

I own a WRX 02' 5 speesd.My trans is gone and SHM is gonna start building a stronger clutch on back to twhels(tranny upgrsdes inluded)and wiil handle well over 450 @ the wheels.
    My Subbie does 11.5's.And will be on tv in a few mos. from a new subcompact TV show from the folks at Dream Car Garage.Dave S.

13. SVT4ME

SVT4ME Active Member Established Member

Cool

14. jd93gt

jd93gt New Member Established Member

I watched one run consistent 8.6's and 8.7's at the local 8th mile track. It was pretty fast. Those damn boxer 4's put out some torque. I cant hang... i need to get off my ass and get my intake ported, and start modding my car, im not gonna lose to any imports if I can help it!

15. Silverstrike

Silverstrike It's to big to move FAST! Established Member

The STi version is running around HI. It makes sence since its the first state Japan comes in contact. The 2.5 Boxster is an N.American only powerplant all other STi's still have the 2.0 only and 276 HP ratings for once America gets the good version and the rest of the world gets the watered down version. But for a little over $32 grand and no Radio I take a Cobra.

16. 08snake

Re: Re: What the H33L is a WRX STI?

Not exactly. Just have never seen a STI version if thats what it was. We have a few regular WRX's out here that put a hurting on some of the domestics at the track. Running low 12's....

17. BBriBro

BBriBro New Member Established Member

I don't think the torque is as impressive as the traction, My friend launches his at 6000, the clutch smells a little in protest, but he had 1.7 60' times stock ! I don't really want that much traction though, the rest of the driveline will not tollerate that abuse for long.

18. raptorman02

raptorman02 New Member Established Member

STI

They are still good looking cars straight from the factory. Not a match for the 03 unless the road started to curve a bit and then you might have had your hands full. Get one of those on a curvy road with a good driver and it would hand an 03 his butt. Guess thats kinda apples and oranges though as the Cobra was setup for straights.:)

19. TROY

TROY New Member Established Member

:beer: Try a race with a Audi RS6 450hp AWD. I did. Quick car.:thumbsup:

20. RedfireVenom

RedfireVenom 11 Second Vert Club Established Member