Whipple's NEW 4.5L 275AX 07-2014 GT500 Supercharger

pro 5.0

Established Member
Can u link me to a better crank for the money please
I wasn't aware there are other better options
Didn't mean it as a negative comment I was just saying that while you are in there you may as well put in the best parts possible. Lets face it you are gonna need the best parts money can buy you aren't playing kids games with that monster race blower.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It sounds like the engines past history played a big role here. The snout may have been compromised during the first 2 failures and the 4.5 just pushed it over the edge. The 4.5 will stress the snout more regardless and crank snout failures are not uncommon with this engine. The topic of adding a second key way came-up on another thread where Malcolm raised the issue of the possibility of weakening the snout by adding a second key way. If the snout was more substantial I don't think this would be an issue but the mod motor crank snout is rather "thin" to be supporting a blower. The undercut on the snout don't help either :nonono: Besides; the key way on this crank appears intact. The snout itself is what gave-up the ghost.

I agree. I don't think double keying the crank is going to solve anything, and may take away vital material needed for the snout strength as it is.

Add some billet rods, a new CJ crank, balance the whole thing, cryo the crank, and throw it back together with an ATI dampener.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree. I don't think double keying the crank is going to solve anything, and may take away vital material needed for the snout strength as it is.

Add some billet rods, a new CJ crank, balance the whole thing, cryo the crank, and throw it back together with an ATI dampener.

If you're willing to order an aftermarket crank, there should be some good options definitely worth researching for this 4.5 application. I've heard of things like a bigger BBC snout with double keys, I'd assume this would be an option that could work as ATI could make the balance custom to the application.
Very interested in this rebuild details.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't mean it as a negative comment I was just saying that while you are in there you may as well put in the best parts possible. Lets face it you are gonna need the best parts money can buy you aren't playing kids games with that monster race blower.

This, but I do think the CJ crank will be the best value, doesn't Kellogg or Winberg make or made the cranks for Ford?
Probably best to talk to several pro shops with experience in race mod motors/CJ specifically.
-J

Lightnin440

Established Member
Lethal went from the 4.0 to the 4.5, maybe they could give you some insight on the IAT differences.

Yeah, but for the sake of the magazine article, they are keeping details on the down-low...which I can truthfully understand...

Well hot damn...gives me something to look forward to!!! I've also been debating swapping the 2.9 out for a 3.4 (now that I found a hood I want lol) since this motor will be pump gas/e85 compatible, and I want to build another motor to accept the 4.5 in a year or so from now...

pro 5.0

Established Member
This, but I do think the CJ crank will be the best value, doesn't Kellogg or Winberg make or made the cranks for Ford?
Probably best to talk to several pro shops with experience in race mod motors/CJ specifically.
-J

I read that the CJ crank is made by kellogg and yes they say it is rated for 1500 hp. I just don't understand why it is so cheap I mean come on $350.00 for the heart of your engine. My kellogg crank for my 3 valve was 950.00.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Are they still undercutting the fillets on the 5.8 crank? That's where tomshaze's crank snout sheered which is predictable. The 4.6 Kellogg crank is undercut just about everywhere but the snout is the only real vulnerable part. Full radii fillets remove the stress risers reducing it willingness to break. For me this is the main justification going to a billet crank but breaking one on a 4.6 is a rare occurrence so I would put the $3500 to better use. I think I would do the same thing with the 5.8 and just plunk the dough down for a new forging.

I have an 8 rib BHJ harmonic balancer which is what the 5.4 and most likely the same balancer as the 5.8 for my Boss 5.0.

BHJ Dynamics, Harmonic Dampers and Specialty Crankshaft Vibration Dampers

Very nice piece and they and build it anyway you want.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I read that the CJ crank is made by kellogg and yes they say it is rated for 1500 hp. I just don't understand why it is so cheap I mean come on $350.00 for the heart of your engine. My kellogg crank for my 3 valve was 950.00.

Yep, amazing what OEM builds do for price, look at what Ford/SVT paid manley for the rods in the Terminator engines, I personally would use the CJ crank race prepped and double keyed, maybe cryo'd, but I'd also be talking to some of these experienced builders to confirm it.
-J

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We are running a double keyed CJ crank in the 2013. Definitely recommend double key in high HP, big blower applications.

pro 5.0

Established Member
Yep, amazing what OEM builds do for price, look at what Ford/SVT paid manley for the rods in the Terminator engines, I personally would use the CJ crank race prepped and double keyed, maybe cryo'd, but I'd also be talking to some of these experienced builders to confirm it.
-J

Yeah like the forged powdered rods in the 2013 $2.50 a rod. From what I've seen ford motorsport quality has gone down hill over the years probably mostly due to off shore production of parts. Makes you wonder with such cheap pricing would you have a piece of mind with this stuff under your hood.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Yeah like the forged powdered rods in the 2013 $2.50 a rod. From what I've seen ford motorsport quality has gone down hill over the years probably mostly due to off shore production of parts. Makes you wonder with such cheap pricing would you have a piece of mind with this stuff under your hood.

Do you have examples of what has gone down in quality?

The cranks are cheap because they're just production GT500 cranks that FRPP buys in large qty's to get the discount. The exact same crank through Ford is over $600.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
And BTW, the CJ cranks are slightly different than a production GT500 crank, particularly for the issue we're all discussing here. Per Ford Racings website about the CJ crank...

"Damper bolt hole counter bored to strengthen crank snout for supercharged applications"

I haven't compared them side by side or checked any specs, but looks like FRPP does play with the crank a bit for added strength.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
And BTW, the CJ cranks are slightly different than a production GT500 crank, particularly for the issue we're all discussing here. Per Ford Racings website about the CJ crank...

"Damper bolt hole counter bored to strengthen crank snout for supercharged applications"

I haven't compared them side by side or checked any specs, but looks like FRPP does play with the crank a bit for added strength.

The counter boring is done on all GT500 cranks. All FRPP does is simply re-box them. This is what sets the GT500 cranks apart from the regular 5.4L 2v/3v forged cranks. I assure you (based on information told to me by FRPP), the CJ crank is just a production GT500 crank. They are used in the CJ's, and are being marketed that way as a selling point.

You can see the counter bore in the broken snout on the first page of this thread. That's why these bolts are so long. The threads don't start for at least 2 inches in.

With that said, the '13/14 GT500 crank is a new part number. So something is different about it compared with the 07-12's.

Last edited:

RedNightmare06

Established Member
The counter boring is done on all GT500 cranks. All FRPP does is simply re-box them. This is what sets the GT500 cranks apart from the regular 5.4L 2v/3v forged cranks. I assure you (based on information told to me by FRPP), the CJ crank is just a production GT500 crank. They are used in the CJ's, and are being marketed that way as a selling point.

You can see the counter bore in the broken snout on the first page of this thread. That's why these bolts are so long. The threads don't start for at least 2 inches in.

With that said, the '13/14 GT500 crank is a new part number. So something is different about it compared with the 07-12's.

The 13/14 is the same crankshaft used in the 07-12. The reason why it has a different part # is because the balance is different. The crank is balanced using different weights because of the difference in rod and piston weight in the 13/14. So same crank just different balance.

pro 5.0

Established Member
Do you have examples of what has gone down in quality?

The cranks are cheap because they're just production GT500 cranks that FRPP buys in large qty's to get the discount. The exact same crank through Ford is over $600.

Just in general from what part's I've used. Motorsport rear 8.8 gear sets used to be un questionable I recently installed a set of 4.30's in a car and the box said ford motorsport after installation of the gears I could not get them to stop howling, and after digging into it deeper I found out that the gears were made my motive gear and packaged in a ford motorsport box. Motive gears are notorious for gear noise, also just installed a boss 5.0 block and the mount kit that came for it had the wrong bolts with it they were way too long. Just some things I have come accross.

Users who are viewing this thread