Windows squeeking BAD!

KingKobra

Established Member
Don't know why, but both of my windows squeek really bad when I bring them down? It's ear-piercing! Anyone else have this or know what I can do to eliminate it? :read:

Weasel

Established Member
I get that on the drivers side window. I just put the window down all the way and run my finger along the inner and outer window seals. Works for a while.

Mike

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Yes, the driver side window on my '02 GT squeaked; I took it to the dealer yesterday, where the glass was realigned and the track lubed. No more squeak. Don't have any problems with my '03 Cobra.

03BlackMamba

Established Member
YUP.....My driver's side window does it when going up. Will have the dealer work on it on my first visit which is coming up shortly.

Take Care....

mosconiac

Established Member
Same story. Driver's side squeaks badly. In the shop right now for correction (rubber seal folds under when rolling down and squeals when rolling up).

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
If it's squeaking against the rubber seal....try using Rain-X on the glass. I use it on my Ford truck for the same problem and it works great.

Weasel

Established Member
Originally posted by VettTheRipper
If it's squeaking against the rubber seal....try using Rain-X on the glass. I use it on my Ford truck for the same problem and it works great.

That's a great idea. I'm going to do that.

Mike

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
That Rain-X will work for a while but then cause MORE problems as it ages... might want to rethink this...

I also am getting this squeek in my 03 Cobra. I will just clean the window and see if that works...

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Mine also has the squeak. Tinting didn't change it. Waxing the window helps for about 2 days. Then back to normal. Only driver side.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I got this problem tonight. I don't have time right now (9 PM EST) but tomorrow I will go to a auto retailer (AutoZone is one) and pick up a product called Sil-Glyde. It's a silicone lubricant for rubber, and is used on door seals and hatch seals.

Sil-Glyde is supposed to be added at some of the maintenance intervals anyway, so go ahead and get some for the future. I've never used it on the forward window seal before but I'm almost sure it would work.

Looks like somebody dropped the ball on the assy line process and forgot to lube our rubber before inserting. ;-)

Update: went to Advance Auto parts tonight after work to find some Sil-Glyde. Of course they don't make that anymore...all young guys behind the parts counter. So I start thinking about what might be similar...well, it's still on the market but it's now in a blister pack as spark plug boot lube. Anything that's 100% silicone will work. Just take a dab (just a DAB!) and smear it on the inside and outside lips of the forward window seal (not on the outside of the lip where you can see it...only on the inside of the seal on both sides of the window). It squeaked a few times after I did it, but after it got evenly distributed it was fine. One tiny tube for $1.89 will last a while, even with lubricating door and hatch seals every few months.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Silicone lubricant is what we use to eliminate squeaks. You could adjust the tracks. I think... But on a convertable this would most likely cause many other thing to have to be realigned with the new placement of the window in order to prevent leaks. Silicone Is way easier. Besides do you really want someone taking apart your door?

hwystr

Established Member
My '02 GT had the squeaking glass this spring, took it in and had some silicone lube applied to the sailplate seal to get rid of the squeak. Worked for a few weeks then came back, it also was a mess. There was suppose to be a permanent fix - guess it hasn't made it into production yet. :(

KingKobra

Established Member
I washed my car last night... while there was still water in the door, I rolled it up and down and up and down and eventually, it got the squeeking down, so I imagine that all you guys who have applied some type of lube, got results that worked at least temporarily. So, hopefully someone will find a more permanent solution and post it. :beer:

It's just tacky when you want to roll your windows down to talk to the Vette next to you, and they squeek like Marilyn Monroe with her nipple caught on a zipper.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
It's just tacky when you want to roll your windows down to talk to the Vette next to you, and they squeek like Marilyn Monroe with her nipple caught on a zipper.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GAWD that was funny! My face hurts...

mosconiac

Established Member
My dealer has fixed the squeak.

The tech greased the window track and is seems to have worked. The seal still rolls over on occasion, but NO noise.

My theory is...that greasing the track probably isn;t what fixed the problem. What probably did fix the problem is that the tech "adjusted" the door panel by taking it off and putting it back on, inadvertently relieving a bit of the pressure the seal was putting on the window.

Less pressure, less friction, less likely that the rubber will "cling" and squeak.

Mosconiac

Users who are viewing this thread