World's Most Powerful Personal Laser - 1Watt for $200 bucks

Good Idea or Not?

• It's not as dangerous as it sounds....

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • It's really dangerous and I would be careful of it

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I hope US bans this from being imported

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I would buy it and use it as a gag thing

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Anybody order one yet?

Says it comes with the battery and charger and is ready to go. I might order one on payday tuesday!

SVTFeltonPA

Established Member
Oh i cant wait until it gets here!!..going to have so much fun!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKlzraZQKWs"]YouTube- portable laser 1000mw 808nm 1 watt burn fire toothpick[/nomedia]

LOLasaurus

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXTLkZqDVDU"]YouTube- 1W 808nm Laser Diode burning plastic , cardboard and a match[/nomedia]

While dangerous, you won't have to worry about catching random people on fire

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
40watts can be lethal, if it is delivered in a short period of time, like a few nanoseconds. Almost any level of power can be lethal if it is delivered in a short enough period of time

Plasma differs from lasers in that is reacts with everything. a plasma is an ionized gas, and those ions are looking to meet up with other particles as fast as they can. A plasma weapon would have a much shorter range because it is reacting with the atmosphere the whole way. Also if you don't have some means of collimating it along the entire length of its travel, it just disperses.

Lasers are good over the effective range of collimation. In other words, a laser beam is not a "beam" forever, it is eventually scattered. But it has a far greater range than a plasma weapon would. The inverse square law does not apply to collimated beams; if your laser pulse leaves with 100watts, and travels several miles without being too scattered, it arrives with nearly 100watts.

As far as effect goes, each would cause burns. Lasers would burn a hole, superheating any water in the tissues in the immediate area. Plasma would be more like a shotgun, with a wider-ranging, shallower burn that would also superheat the water in the surrounding tissues.

Jim Snover

Hey Jim,

In Terminator, during the gun store scene, Arnold requests "a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range". Would this actually be weaponry grade at 40 watts in pulsed bursts?

How would the effect of plasma differ from laser if this was real?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This is every scouts dream. You could get a dozen merit badges with this thing alone. Not to mention fight off grizzly bears AND brown recluses driving pontiac solstices going 65000 mph.

I want one!
It's the perfect squirrel gun.

Keep your bird feeders squirrel free!

Might even work on one of these..

birdfeederterminator2.jpg
birdfeederterminator3.jpg

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NDq8ATBJxM&feature=related"]YouTube- Wicked Lasers Spyder III - Big Mistake[/nomedia]

UncleDan

Established Member
These things are no joke.... I have a 95 mW green laser pointer (that's 0.095 watts) and it legit will burn things. It lights matches on fire, cuts electrical tape, and puts out a beam that is completely visible at night. Point it at the sky and the beam just goes completely out of sight, and it's powered only by 2 AAA batteries.

The one in this advertisement is 1000 mW (or 1 watt), and that compared to my 0.095 watt laser is FAR more powerful. However the price is what fools me.... the higher powered lasers usually go for over $1,000 (yea I guess some people really would spend that kind of money on a laser), so this could be some kind of scam...

If any of you do buy one of these be VERY CAREFUL, these lasers can produce a lot of UV light. UV light in the eyes = blindness. Even using one indoors will harm your vision. Point this in someone's face and you will instantly blind them. Point one at an airplane and it's a felony.

If you guys want an impressive laser pointer that is safe to use, then get a small pen sized green laser. They are still dangerous but no where near dangerous as the one in this add.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The Spyder III, the World's Most Powerful Portable Laser, Is a Real Life Lightsaber

From the comments:

Just want to mention the NOHD on this laser is 211 meters (measured at .25 seconds unaided eye according to Wicked Lasers). This means that to be safe for a quarter second exposure to this beam on your eyes, you need to be almost 700 feet away. Longer exposures would have an even larger NOHD. Think about this before you ever turn this thing on.

I dont think people understand exactly how dangerous this laser is, any living creature that can be anywhere near this beam needs safety glasses. Mirrors arent even the main issue here. if you point this at your matte wall, and look at the dot, you can go blind from that. And it isn't temporary. its blind for life.. yes the reflection off a matte surface.

Anything above 5 mw can blind you, that means anything that reflects even .5% of the light back in to your eye could cause damage.

Pointing with this or waving it around is not an option.. the beam needs to be controlled at all times

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread