My '11 GT500 track updates

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I picked up a 2011 GT500 at the end of July. It has the PP and the electronics package. I'm a big drag racing kinda guy so I tend to go to the track every couple of weeks. So, instead of posting multiple threads with updates and mods over the next few years I thought I would make one thread for people to follow along with what times the car is running with what mods. I will try and get video up and pics as I go along. Because I love drag racing so much, I have decided to set a few goals for myself. My first goal was to run in the 11s with just et streets. I did so a few weeks ago. Now, I have decided I want to have the fastest stock plus slicks 2011 and older GT500 with just sticky tires. I believe the time to beat is:

MD03SVT ----------------1.656 - 7.328 - 11.368 @123.89 100% stock on slicks 11/10/09 Napierville Dragway Montreal Canada 2010 GT500

So I have my work cut out for me. The only other mods to my car besides 26" cheater slicks are moroso coolant tanks. I ice at the track between runs.

Last night I went to the track and posted up some good numbers. The DA was 1700ft and it was humid out. The temp was mid 80s. I made 3 passes.

The first pass:

1.82-60ft
5.00-330ft
7.59 at 95mph-1/8th
11.70 at 120mph-1/4

I let the car cool down for 30 minutes between runs and I iced in between every pass. Tires had 19psi in them. I slipped the clutch at around 3500rpm and the car seemed to hook good. I did short shift 3rd and 4th. I'm impatient.

The 2nd pass:

1.79-60ft

I missed 2nd gear on this pass so I coasted the rest of the way down. I was running a race car and it distracted me a good bit. The car did spin some off the line but not to bad.

3rd pass:

1.80-60ft
4.99-330ft
7.60 at 95mph-1/8th
11.73 at 119mph -1/4

I didn't wait 30 minutes after my 2nd pass so the car was not cooled off enough but the track was going to close soon so I only got 15 minutes of cool down. Once again the car spun off the line some and I short shifted again...

The car performed well last night and I have no doubt it will run a 11.3x when it cools off more. It was packed at the track so I didn't get as much cool down time between runs as I wanted. The weather is starting to change here in nc and I can't wait for it to be in the 60s out! When I go back to the track I will let the car cool down longer between runs and work on getting my 60ft down. I will try running 18psi in the cheater slicks and see if I can cut a low 1.6x 60ft. So all I really need is cool weather ad a decent 60ft and I will be there.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
If you're running 18 lbs of air in those ET Street slicks and hitting 1.80 60' times, you're probably leaving a lot on the table due to tire pressure alone. May want to consider lowering that tire pressure to 12 psi or below to maximize what those tires are capable of at your power level. Low 1.6's/high 1.5's are typical for these tires.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
If you're running 18 lbs of air in those ET Street slicks and hitting 1.80 60' times, you're probably leaving a lot on the table due to tire pressure alone. May want to consider lowering that tire pressure to 12 psi or below to maximize what those tires are capable of at your power level. Low 1.6's/high 1.5's are typical for these tires.

Hey Dwight, thanks for the advice. I feel the same way. The main reason I ran at 19psi was because of sway on the big end. It's a little on easy to be moving around going 100 plus. I had 28" et streets on the rear my first 2 times at the track. They had way too much sway for my comfort. The 28" et streets also took away from gearing way too much. I was going through the traps in 4th at around 5000 to 5200rpms. I was leaving a lot on the table with the 28" so I went down to a 26" tire. My mph jumped from 116mph to 120mph and I dropped .24 off my et slips(11.94 at 116 to 11.70 at 120). The 26" tires also don't sway nearly as much on the big end compared to the 28" tires. Next time out I will work my way down in tire pressure and my rpms up on my launch. The track last night was a mess and I felt rushed so I didn't mess with tire pressure much. Hopefully next time out I will cut a very nice high 1.5x 60ft. That would make my day if I did.

Randall

IronTerp

I hear you Randall! The first time I ran the ET Streets, I thought I was going into the wall for sure.....the fellas back in the pits were snickering at me when I got back from the run with this "I almost died" look on my face. But found out that that's the nature of the ET Streets. Got used to it and ended up hitting some high 1.5's with them.

But switching to the Hoosiers has eliminated most of the sway and I can mostly focus on other things now!

tistan

Established Member
Impressive times. If you can get your 60' into the 1.5 range you should be able to break that 11.3 record. Get some bias ply skinnies for the front and it wont sway anymore. Plus you will pick up some ET and MPH. I picked up 2 mph and 2 tenths over stock front wheels and tires. First time I took my car to the track on et streets, I coulnd't make a full pass. Every time I got to about the 1/8 mile it would sway so bad that I almost hit the wall.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Impressive times. If you can get your 60' into the 1.5 range you should be able to break that 11.3 record. Get some bias ply skinnies for the front and it wont sway anymore. Plus you will pick up some ET and MPH. I picked up 2 mph and 2 tenths over stock front wheels and tires. First time I took my car to the track on et streets, I coulnd't make a full pass. Every time I got to about the 1/8 mile it would sway so bad that I almost hit the wall.

I have plans to buy a set of Bogarts down the road. I had a set on my 04 Cobra and they are sweet. Not only do they look great but they help keep the car straight and drop times. Once I get some basic mods on the car I will be ordering a set of Bogarts and I can't wait:burnout:

1Quick4.6

Established Member
i love your new ride man. I dont know if you remember me i ran u in my blk ported blower cobra at draggin right last year

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
i love your new ride man. I dont know if you remember me i ran u in my blk ported blower cobra at draggin right last year

I remember. That was a fun night. Both of our cars were moving out. I sure did love my ported setup on my 04. I liked it so much I will most likely be porting my GT500 in the future. These cars have some serious potential with minor mods.

I should be getting my car on a dyno soon. So I will have some stock dyno numbers to go along with my track times.

IronTerp

I remember. That was a fun night. Both of our cars were moving out. I sure did love my ported setup on my 04. I liked it so much I will most likely be porting my GT500 in the future. These cars have some serious potential with minor mods.
You two freakin guys..... Both had BAD ASS Terminator Eaton monsters and sold them! :bash:

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
You two freakin guys..... Both had BAD ASS Terminator Eaton monsters and sold them! :bash:

I do miss my ported monster 04 Cobra. It would simply get down for the power it had. But I decided to change it up and ended up with my current ride. I hope it turns out as bad ass as my 04 Cobra did. Time will tell:rolling:

1Quick4.6

Established Member
I do miss my ported monster 04 Cobra. It would simply get down for the power it had. But I decided to change it up and ended up with my current ride. I hope it turns out as bad ass as my 04 Cobra did. Time will tell:rolling:

yeah i miss mine too. the bad thing is a local kid bought and i did see it all the time but not so much lately. one thing i dont miss is that none powershiftable clutch that was in there. I ended up with one of the new 5.0L cars:banana: shifts like butter:rockon:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Went back to the track today.

Best today was:

7.39 at 97mph
11.43 at 122mph

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAKgviKzOjs"]YouTube - video-2010-10-03-13-34-34[/nomedia]

I will update with a video and details. Car is still stock besides cheater slicks and icing.

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
This is one vid from the pass. I had a go pro on the car and I should have that video up soon.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAKgviKzOjs"]YouTube - video-2010-10-03-13-34-34[/nomedia]

IronTerp

That's awesome Randall! Excellent improvement. Really shows what the new Gt500's are capable of.

So no cold air kit, exhaust, or tune? Truly bone stock?

GTkiller97

Established Member
That's awesome Randall! Excellent improvement. Really shows what the new Gt500's are capable of.

So no cold air kit, exhaust, or tune? Truly bone stock?

I can attest for Randall that the car is truly bone stock...it's a monster! The only mods on the car are the coolant resevoir tanks which is there for bling factor :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread