I think the motor blew tonight.

dover

vettekiller
Established Member
Well I was in third and nailed it about 3k and went into fourth and the car seemed to die off, I look in my rear view mirror and there is white smoke pouring out of the car. Back to my house an when i put in neutral to get into the garage it dies. Oil Pressure read fine. Water temp had no change. A/F didn't change. It was dark so I couldn't get under it tonight and find out for sure. So tomorrow I will jack it up and look for holes. There was oil all over the Passenger side of the motor. The breather I have on the Valve cover was just dripping. Any thoughts on what it might be. I just assumed that I blew the motor. This is just my luck. I just got the car done. FML.

Last edited:

dover

vettekiller
Established Member
I am thinking maybe a Oil feed line, but I haven't the slightest right now without seeing it better. I am hoping something minor though.

hb712

Established Member
Dover, call me tomorrow. If you have a compressor I'll bring over my leakdown tester.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Are there any bad sounds coming from the motor? I had the same symptoms but I also had a nice healthy knock to go along with mine.

I'd say in the very least it's a headgasket but I'm thinking more along the lines of a fried piston. The reason there is oil everywhere around your breather is because boost pressure is getting into your crankcase (possibly around a piston) and that will blow oil everywhere...

Hope it's something small man, but I wouldn't bet on it...

hb712

Established Member
Hmm, I missed to part about the breather. This isn't sounding like a minor issue.

TTBEAST

Established Member
I have oil that comes out of my breathers every time i drive the car hard. Just minor though, Do you guys get the same thing??

Hopefully its just an blown oil line and leaked all over the header..... Hope its nothing major.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Yeah I did... That's why I got a catch can because the breather was just making a huge mess in my engine bay.

I'm not sure if it is an indicator of engine trouble because it is a sign of excessive blowby. I did eventually lose my engine but I'm not sure if they are connected..

I cringe every time I see a turbo cobra with a breather directly on the valve cover. If it is anything like mine it's a huge PITA..

TTBEAST

Established Member
What kind of boost were u running when you lost your engine? Withe the turbos right?? I think that is why im going to build a back up block.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I was running no more than 15psi, that was the most I ran on the street. And that was with only 16* timing and an A/F of ~10.5/1..

I still don't even know what happened exactly, I never got the chance to tear it down before I left the country for a work assignment. It seems like a piston got screwed but I really don't know how with the safe tune I had... I did however win the race when it happened, whooped a Kenne Bell GT500 :)

Last edited:

dover

vettekiller
Established Member
didnt get a chance to get over to the garage today, and yes the motor was completely stock

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Pull your downpipe off the turbo there's probably oil covering your turbine wheel. Maybe you just blew a seal on the turbo? It happened to me and there was oil everywhere. Literally everywhere.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
Hope you get everything worked out and its nothing major... Keep us updated

Users who are viewing this thread