• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

When should one perform OPGs/CS?

Discussion in '5.0L Coyote V8 Engine Modification/Discussion' started by zhisel, Aug 8, 2018.

1. zhisel

zhisel SVTP never-was Established Member

Important note: Car in question is a 2017 GT 6R80

I'm getting a lot of mixed answers, so here goes:

Phase one of my car was what is considered full bolt-on (full Cobra Jet setup and full exhaust). Turned the car to 7800 regularly on stock OPGs/CS. Never had a problem. 93 pump.

Phase two of my car was the same minus the Cobra Jet setup. I returned to my stock IM and a PMAS CAI, kept the exhaust and started spraying a 150 shot with a BAP. No motor problems, but nitrous activation was spotty and leads to...

Phase three. My car is currently being torn apart for a twin turbo install. Counting on some 1200 injectors, my current BAP and E85 to make 800RWHP. Not many, if any, are recommending the OPGs/CS even at this point in time, because supposedly being an automatic and turbo car, plus not making a ton of power, should buy it some time.

What says ye SVTP?

2. tones_RS3

tones_RS3 I like members members. Premium Member Established Member

From reading over at the other Mustang forum, it's a good idea to install the OPG's and crank sprocket gear when boosting. Just a safe guard if you will.
    Especially if you rev the engine to the moon and back. lol

3. PC03GT

PC03GT Well-Known Member Established Member

OPGS are like a condom, if you want to play with fire, you might get burnt

4. NightRide

NightRide Roll Racer Established Member

Most say revving high or big whp to do them. Since your doing both i vote yes. I keep my rev limiter at 7k and make 650whp on the stock motor fwiw. If I turn up the limiter or push above 700 whp I'll look into doing it.

5. zhisel

I get the general consensus that I should do them, and that's fine, but trust me, I'm not revving high. Car is a stock IM car with twins.

6. DMassey

DMassey No Habla Jibber Jabber Established Member

you can ask 100 people and get a dozen different answers.

Personally, I've seen 2 major contributors:
    1. harmonics from super high rpm & hitting rev limiters/2-steps
    2. side load from supercharger pulleys, particularly the add-on pulley like ProCharger uses.

Turbo cars don't have that side load on the crank snout. Having said that, if I'm building something 700+ hp, I'm throwing some billet opg's in there. It's cheap insurance vs. a whole new motor.

Also of note regarding high-rpm harmonics... it seems that the Gen2+ motors have better high rpm harmonics than the Gen1 motors.

7. zhisel

You hit on my main points/thoughts exactly Derrick! The harmonics from high RPM, hitting the rev limiter and added stress of a two step don't exist in my car; because 7,000RPM max, automatic transmission and no two step. The added pulley load also doesn't apply since I have a twin turbo car, so that stress is eliminated too.

I'm just curious if I can spare another $2K (which pales in comparison to the $8-10K a new motor will cost) and still maintain longevity. Being an automatic twin turbo car, the car is naturally easier on the parts versus a PD car with stick.

8. SheepDog

SheepDog Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

Why not just do it and sleep easy at night? A few hundred dollars to protect your 20k build seems like a no brainer to me.

9. zhisel

It's not a few hundred dollars though. It's actually almost $2K. I realize this is the one thing my mechanic is high on, but he doesn't like doing them and he's a one man show (that is scheduled to the max). Taking it elsewhere just isn't an option at the moment, and even if I could I don't know that I would. My loyalty lays with him.

Thanks for all the feedback nonetheless fellas!

10. SheepDog

The boundary set is $298 from most places, so he must be charging you a shitton for labor. Too bad you don't live closer to me, I would do it for 500. It really isn't that difficult, just a bit time consuming. Simple hand tools is all you need and a space to work and you could do it yourself. It would take a while longer though once all the Turbo components are in the way.

11. PC03GT

PC03GT Well-Known Member Established Member

Damn, got mine done for 800, that was after the blower was on

12. SheepDog

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention and maybe you are already aware of this- pushing 800 HP on E85 with only a BAP is very risky business. At a bare minimum I would recommend replacing the in-tank pump with a DW400 and using the BAP, or the much better option of running a return system. I would hate to see you grenade your beautiful new build. Just my .02