Antifreeze Options - Street driven only in NEast

XP900

Established Member
I have a 2010 that used the Motorcraft Gold antifreeze VC-7-B, Ford spec MSS-W97B51-A1.

When I flush my system what are the approved anti-freezes now available other than Motorcraft?

So far I have only found two that stated they were approved and met the Ford MSS-W97B51-A1 requirements.
ZEREX ZXG051 DILUTED OR CONCENTRATE 5 YEAR /150K
STP CHRYSLER/FORD VEHICLES EXTENDED LIFE 50/50 PREMIX 5 YEAR / 250K
Both basically have about the same lifespan as the Motorcraft Gold but a little cheaper.

NAPA listed the following coolant in its description as meeting the MSS-W97B51-A1 spec but I never saw it actually listed anywhere on the Prestone site or papers.
PRESTONE CONCENTRATE AND 50/50 PREMIX ALL VEHICLES 10YR/300kM

Prestone has a new Platinum Ford/Lincoln/Mercury 15Yr/350K formula that says it is compatible with Motorcraft Gold (GO5) but I again never find anything written on their site that says it meets the WSS-M97B51-A1 Ford spec.

It would be nice to bump up the flushing a couple of years but not if it doesn't mee the specs. May ask Prestone for more clarification.

Anyone use the new Prestone Platinum for Fords? Very hard to find in concentrated jugs.

efnfast

Established Member
Just use the Ford OEM Gold coolant - I've been using it in my 04 cobra for almost 300k and my cooling system has been perfect (original rad, original waterpump, etc.)

You do not want to go down the rabbit hole of anti-freeze research; it's absolutely miserable. Don't mix this with that or else gel will form in your engine, etc. etc.

And fyi Ford Gold is not the same as Ford Yellow.

Users who are viewing this thread