Car and driver 2014 Z28. Sorry GM guys...... This thing is slooowwww.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
And?

It's a street legal car. It's going to run up against other pony/muscle cars in areas OTHER than a road course, and it's going to walked.

After you get your ass handed to you in a drag race - which is the venue I'm pretty sure most people are referencing when they call it slow - do you really want to tell the guy, "Yeah....but I'm faster on a road course."?

Sounds like a ricer excuse to me.

Same thing goes for getting a GT500 drug around a road course with a more track oriented car, when he pulls up in the pits and goes "Yeah, but its fast on a freeway!"

Its a corner carver, not a drag queen. If someones taking this to a drag strip or trying to knock down some 600HP+ cars from 60-160 theyre either A) knowing their fate already, B) running for fun anyways, or C) slightly out of their element and will learn quickly.

IMO yes, there are far better ways to get the sort of handling for that price, but if you really want a camaro and want it to handle from the factory in the same fashion as say a Boss302LS or such, heres your option.

punishd

Established Member
I love the car regardless of what badge is on it...but hate the price point...namely because I won't ever have one. It's a pure driver's car. Is it the best value out there...probably not. Are there faster cars out there...you bet. There's more to driving than roll races on the highway though.

RSbeast

Established Member
To get a car you can track every weekend for 5yrs or 100k miles of abuse without having to worry about breaking anything is actually pretty insane.

I'm going to venture about 2-3% of this site has ever been on a road course driving in anger; much less with their own car. Shit gets wore out in a hurry. Literally everything cooks.

If used properly you can near guarantee it's going to grenade SOMETHING over time. To not have that cloud over your head would be amazing.

It takes deep pockets to road race ESP weekly. To get into a brand new race car with a power train warranty for that price is a bargain. The car is also going to be worth money as a collectible and frankly probably MORE if it has a documented track history. In 40yrs it may pay for itself.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
To get a car you can track every weekend for 5yrs or 100k miles of abuse without having to worry about breaking anything is actually pretty insane.

I'm going to venture about 2-3% of this site has ever been on a road course driving in anger; much less with their own car. Shit gets wore out in a hurry. Literally everything cooks.

If used properly you can near guarantee it's going to grenade SOMETHING over time. To not have that cloud over your head would be amazing.

It takes deep pockets to road race ESP weekly. To get into a brand new race car with a power train warranty for that price is a bargain. The car is also going to be worth money as a collectible and frankly probably MORE if it has a documented track history. In 40yrs it may pay for itself.

This guy ****ing gets it.

Again with these people and there what you get for your money. It is a warrantied track car.

I would be the same people that are sour on this car, have a hard on for the new Cobra Jet....

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Seriously, guys? If someone's not impressed by this car, they're crazy or not car enthusiasts? Maybe they're not so easily impressed. It's acceleration is on pace with a 2007 GT500. And with race spec tires, brakes and suspension, it had damned well better get its fat ass around a track! It is SUPER surprising that it eeked out a win over God's own chariot that is the GTR. God almighty, if some street legal iteration of the S550 doesn't beat this car, this site is going to be ruined by Z/28 nutswingers!

1hot281

Established Member
Seriously, guys? If someone's not impressed by this car, they're crazy or not car enthusiasts? Maybe they're not so easily impressed. It's acceleration is on pace with a 2007 GT500. And with race spec tires, brakes and suspension, it had damned well better get its fat ass around a track! It is SUPER surprising that it eeked out a win over God's own chariot that is the GTR. God almighty, if some street legal iteration of the S550 doesn't beat this car, this site is going to be ruined by Z/28 nutswingers!

So a heavy ass Camaro in stock 50-state street legal showroom trim, can keep pace with a GTR Track Edition... For $40k cheaper... and respecting that makes one a Z/28 nutt swinger? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

busabruce

Established Member
The car is nice but it will be a rare sight on the streets IMO. With the dealer markup it will cost well over $80k. I also don't see GM mass producing this car.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
So a heavy ass Camaro in stock 50-state street legal showroom trim, can keep pace with a GTR Track Edition... For $40k cheaper... and respecting that makes one a Z/28 nutt swinger? :rolleyes:

All out track car keeps up with daily driver car. meh :shrug:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
All out track car keeps up with daily driver car. meh :shrug:

To be somewhat fair, the Track Edition is not the standard GT-R. Rear seat delete, upgraded suspension, and front and rear spoilers for added downforce are standard as are revised cooling ducts for brakes etc... it is also a limited production model with only 150 being made I believe.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
All out track car? Are you saying that because it doesn't have Ac and has a one speaker radio? For what it's worth GM said to add air will add 20lbs total. 20 lbs is pretty negligible.

The car motor trend used had both the stereo and A/C. It states right in the article that he could have used the lighter delete car but did not want to.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Great car. Shit motor. One of the worst performance V8s in modern history. Major major issues with extreme valve guide wear at very low mileage. GM is sweeping things under the rug and blaming owners. A group of Vette owners is considering a class-action lawsuit.

Don't believe me? Google LS7 dropped valve, LS7 valve wiggle, watch the vids on YouTube. This is a major problem with that engine. GM is a shit car company that is known for major quality issues and sweeping things under the rug. Blow one of these motors on track and GM will claim you over-revved it.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Great car. Shit motor. One of the worst performance V8s in modern history. Major major issues with extreme valve guide wear at very low mileage. GM is sweeping things under the rug and blaming owners. A group of Vette owners is considering a class-action lawsuit.

Don't believe me? Google LS7 dropped valve, LS7 valve wiggle, watch the vids on YouTube. This is a major problem with that engine. GM is a shit car company that is known for major quality issues and sweeping things under the rug. Blow one of these motors on track and GM will claim you over-revved it.

Yes because it has happened to less than 1% of LS7's ever made.

Worst performance v8 in history? Besides the valve hoopla how is it one of the worst in history?

Last edited:

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
If I was going to pour that kind of money into a chevy product it would be a crovette.

1836654_10154007456710515_411641914_o.jpg

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
oh wow it beat the GTR by .28 on its SECOND try

garbage

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread