Have to Replace Cooling Fan

shetheri

Established Member
Well, my car overheated the Friday night of the Woodward Dream Cruise and I have just now had the time to check it out. Turns out one of the fan blades was broken and stuck on the shroud, this caused the 50A fuse to blow, then no fan at all. Can't believe that with less than 15K miles something like this would fail.

Anybody else experience any issues with their cooling fans?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Well, my car overheated the Friday night of the Woodward Dream Cruise and I have just now had the time to check it out. Turns out one of the fan blades was broken and stuck on the shroud, this caused the 50A fuse to blow, then no fan at all. Can't believe that with less than 15K miles something like this would fail.

Anybody else experience any issues with their cooling fans?

Didn't we talk about this at WDC ??

Mine broke the ring around the blades earlier this year but I heard it pop and immediately pulled fuse.

Driving in traffic a lot probably shortens life considerably vs highway miles

Last edited:

shetheri

Established Member
After I got it off tonight, I believe that it is actually locked up in the motor. None of the fan blades or ring is broken, but I can not turn it by hand either direction.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
If you want to recycle my old fan with your blades, let me know.

shetheri

Established Member
I'll take a look at mine and see if I can seperate the motor from the blades. Looks to be a module. When you replaced your original fan what were the part numbers. My OE part number is 1R3H-8C607-AE, which Tousley says is not the Terminator part number. Mine has the thermostat and wiring harness in the shroud. The part they said I need is 3R33-8C607-AA, which according to the print does not have a provision for the thermostat or a wirning harness.

Thanks,

Scott

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Changes in prefix and/or suffix are normal for engineering vs service parts, but I don't know about that missing stat & wiring.....

My OEM# matches yours and my replacement was 1R3Z-8C607-AA.
I bought through Motorcraft and my MC# is RF-166.
It has thermostat and wiring harness stub included.

MC says 3R33-8C607-AA cross-references to RF-166, so it *should* be the same part :shrug:

:read: http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ap42b.pdf

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I wasn't talking about swapping motors, but just putting your undamaged blades on my undamaged module. There's just a spring clip holding it on.

I understand if you want a whole new assembly, so maybe I can buy your blades and make a spare.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Stan,

This is only a safety issue for our engines, so they wouldn't do a recall

shetheri

Established Member
JB,

I have to correct myself. Once I gt the blades off of the motor, the outer ring is broken at what appears to be a knit line in the plastic. Is the fan blade not a part that can be order independently? The "Z" in the last digit of the prefix indicates that it is an FCSD part number and not OE, although the 1R3H (1R3Z) and 3R33 (3R3Z) OE prints are not the same part. I can email you the screen shots from the two prints that clearly show the lack tstat and wiring.

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I don't understand why Tousley would try to sell you a fan module that's incomplete.

There's a lot of failed fan threads and I know many people buy from them.
They all break at that same spot and everyone has been told that no parts are available separately.

I'd call back and ask if they'll visually inspect one for you

Last edited:

black10th vert1

Established Member
The ring around the blade broke on mine last year at the Downriver cruise. I hated to do it but I bought the complete unit online for around 90 bucks and it looks alot better than the stock unit.The blade is 3 times thicker.

shetheri

Established Member
Yeah, I finally got it fixed this weekend. I ended up buying a unit from Glendale Auto Supply, they actually had it in stock. I took the fan off of their unit and put it back on with my original shroud. Couldn't justify $225 bucks when all I needed was a $20 fan.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I'll take a look at mine and see if I can seperate the motor from the blades. Looks to be a module. When you replaced your original fan what were the part numbers. My OE part number is 1R3H-8C607-AE, which Tousley says is not the Terminator part number. Mine has the thermostat and wiring harness in the shroud. The part they said I need is 3R33-8C607-AA, which according to the print does not have a provision for the thermostat or a wirning harness.

Thanks,

Scott

In alot of cases the # on the part is the engineering # which isn't the part #. I just went through it for the broken cowl grill I had to replace. It didn't break when taking it off. It broke when I was trying to place it on top of the car. Damn thing snapped in half with the quickness. Failure by me that cost $157 + shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread