I think I may of gotten shafted

disturbdgt

Established Member
just wondering if someone could help me out here. so about a month ago I bought what was supposed to be a 98 cobra motor (block, crank, pistons, heads and cams) but im not so sure whether it is or not. im now starting to believe that its actually a mark viii motor but not for sure, so hopefully someone can help me. i know for fact that the block is a teksid, but as far as the crank, heads, and cams im not so sure that they are from a cobra. Because im certain the cobra crank is 8 bolt and the one i have is 6 bolt

The part numbers i got off of the cams are:
F6LE-6A271-BC
F6LE-6A270-BC

The part number i got of the head is:
RF-F6ZE-6C064-AD

And here are pictures of the crank.

2012-04-17233803.jpg

2012-04-17233744.jpg

2012-04-17233836.jpg

disturbdgt

Established Member
yeah thats what im starting to think, it really sux that i did get the short end of the stick. so pretty much everything is mark viii then right. now my question is, whats the difference between the mark viii teksid and the cobras. and as far as the pistons go are they the same, because i bought new piston rings for a 98 cobra and new main bearings for a cobra too.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
If it was advertised as a cobra motor and it turns out it wasn't, then that is fraud. Demand the seller either give you the money back, or cut you a deal.

MLS

Established Member
I've got a forged one really cheap if your interested, just send me a pm.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Hey buddy. Im sorry you got the short end of the stick. ;( I'm building my motor in my 97 Cobra as we speak. Im doing a MMR Stroker. I have 40K original miles on my stock motor and I'm getting rid of my Forged Crank, all 4 Cams, all Pistons and Rods, and valves etc etc. If you need anything shoot me a pm. MMR is giving me credit towards my forged crank and cams but it's not much. I would love to sell them

disturbdgt

Established Member
so am i screwed too because i bought all bearings and piston rings for a cobra, or am i safe on that note.

and also i reckon its a good thing that i went ahead and bought spare set of heads and cams. and im pretty sure these are cobra ones, or at least im hoping. part numbers are:
F6LE-6A271-AB
F6LE-6A270-AB

can someone confirm this for me

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
Did it come with a intake? If so your still good those arent cheap. Heads and block are the same just different cams as mentioned already. Used cobra cranks are very affordable too. Youll still be fine with your build. The seller is a douche to scam you like that.

stangbanger856

Established Member
so are my new cams cobra or are they mark viii cause i cant seem to find any info on them.

If you are using the cams thaat came with the heads they are not cobra cams, at least not the intake cam. The cobras and mark.8s have the same exhaust cams but intake cams are diff. You might as well buy some nice comp cams and be done with it. The bearings you bought should work fine considering its the same block.

Depending on your budget I would send your block and heads to MMR and have them build your long block with a stroker kit. By the time you find a forged cobra crank, good rods and pistons you could have bought one. And I think they can build one using your block with there parts for under $2000 (shortblock) have them install your heads with good cams and your done. Just find a Cobra intake.

95SC

Banned
OP here is the part #s for 96-98 Cobra cams

F6ZE-6A271-AA left intake
F6ZE-6A270-AA right intake
F2LE-6A272-AE right exhaust
F2LE-6A273-AE left exhaust

The blocks and heads are the same as cobras the cams and crank are junk.

I have seen plenty cars with 500hp+ using cast cranks .why cams are junk ? they have pretty much the same specs as 03-04 cams

Last edited:

1989Gt.

Banned
The.cast crank is good up to 700hp I believe if your not going to be above 500 it eill be fine they are good cranks.... as far as the cams just find some 99 cobra cams for 100 and your good to go

disturbdgt

Established Member
well i just rechecked my second set of heads and cams i purchased. and they were infact cobra cams. F6ZE-6A271-AB and F6ZE-6A270-AB. thank goodness i didnt get screwed again. so now i can be happy with my rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread