Would now be a good time for a new Lightning

Should Ford make a new Lightning with an aluminum body

• Total voters

Jroc

Established Member
Back when Ford released the Gen 3 L concept back in 04 many were excited about the next L. It followed many of the idea's the then new Ram SRT10 had(22's, T56, 500+ BHP) but also like the SRT10 it was very heavy. The newer 1/2 ton trucks weigh quite a lot compared to the older ones from all manufactures, and I don't think John Coletti was too fond of the idea of having a Lightning weighing over 5000 lbs which it likely would of.(for reference a Gen 2 L is factory rated at 4,670 lbs, and I think a SRT10 RC is rated at over 5,200 lbs)

Now it looks like Ford is probably going to go with an aluminum bodied F150 to save weight which will improve performance, and fuel economy. Fords claiming a 700+ lb weight savings.(lets assume 500-600 lbs for a regular cab) To me this sounds like a great time to introduce a new L that would be similar in weight if not lighter than a Gen 2 L. Apparently the body design will also change. They could use a 2013 GT500 motor, or maybe boosted a Coyote. If they are really feeling froggy they could build an aluminum version of the Boss 6.2 making a lot of power and torque. A DCT tranny would be awesome, but the 6R80 is still a very good and strong auto. Maybe break some laws and steal some patented designs like a AWD system similar to a GTR's, and a suspension similar to GM's MR FTW!!! :thumbsup:

People are throwing Roushchargers on regular cab 2011+ F150's with the 5.0's and running very low 11's and maybe 10's.
2011 5.0 F150 ROUSH SUPERCHARGED JLP TUNED! - YouTube

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I'd sell my 11 5.0 and buy one. I've owned 4 L's.. 2 first gen and 2 second gen.. I wish I would have never sold any of them.

Cool.

I've about traded my L in twice on a new Coyote Mustang as I really like them, but I'd miss my bed and hitch. A couple of years ago I drove a bolton/tuned 2009 GT500 that I could of gotten for $35K with like only 2500 miles, but I wasn't impressed enough with it's balance or handling to make me want to trade my L in for it. It was a very strong pulling car though.

If Ford were to make another L I think they should defiantly keep the F150's work ethic about it like they did with the older L's, and not say you can't tow or haul with it. It's a truck, and that's what they're made for.

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
I miss my old '03 L. It was a very fun truck and surprised a lot of people in their sports cars. I'd probably get a new L if Ford ever decides to make them again. There is just something about kicking ass in a pickup truck! :rockon:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I would strongly consider one if it came in a crew cab with AWD. Wouldn't have a use for a RWD only truck where I am. GM and Chrysler pulled it off, surely Ford could take it up a level.

Satyr

Established Member
I don't have the money for one now, but in a few years I would definitely be interested. The price would need to be Earthly, though.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I think that the Raptor is a better truck than the Lightning.. definitely more "useful" and stock vs stock, I bet in a straight line they are pretty close..

ok, after looking it up, the Lightning is about 10 mph faster in the 1/4.. that's huge..

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Hell yeah I'd buy a Gen 3 Lightning! My Gen 2 isn't going anywhere however, so I guess I'd end up with two trucks?

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
I think that the Raptor is a better truck than the Lightning.. definitely more "useful" and stock vs stock, I bet in a straight line they are pretty close..

ok, after looking it up, the Lightning is about 10 mph faster in the 1/4.. that's huge..

I'd buy in! miss my 04 lightning..

the lightning is almost 2 seconds faster in a 1/4 mile :poke:

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I'd love a gen 3 lightning. The SRT-10 never did it for me and I'd have no need for a Raptor(Suspension travel means very little to me).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
why dont we just improve the Raptor

This, though any more power and it would probably upset the entire driving and handling characteristics of that truck.

Id be down for a EB 5.0L being called a "Lightning" again, but at a reasonable (IE Non-GT500) pricetag. Good luck with that.

fangstang

Established Member
I highly doubt Ford will make another lightning. The Raptor is more useful. The lightning is like a mustang with a bed, seats only 2, and can only be driven in nice weather. Kinda useless to me. I'd much rather see a new generation raptor. no doubt

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I didn't like the idea of the Gen3 Lightning back then. I'd have to see what the body looked like for a new one now.

Users who are viewing this thread