Build Thread: 1987 Porsche 930 Factory Slant Nose

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
In the spirit of "while I was in there," I replaced the intercooler with one from Turbokraft. I also replaced pretty much every rubber hose in the engine bay - not really sure why a big time shop would put 30 year old hoses back on after a complete engine rebuild...

FWIW, the intercooler project took me over 20 hours to complete. Seems like it'd be a simple project. It was not.

ETA: Should have taken photos of the short shifter install. That required disassembling nearly the entire interior to do the whole thing.

intercooler.jpg

Here is the old intercooler - check out the MASSIVE cast aluminum bypass valve setup. LOL! That got replaced by a modern, small one.

old intercooler.jpg
old bypass.jpg

Last edited:

Recon

Established Member
Looking good.
I’ve tried to convince my father to put a short throw shifter in his car but to no avail as of yet.
The 935 style center exit exhaust looks good on the car.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Looking good.
I’ve tried to convince my father to put a short throw shifter in his car but to no avail as of yet.
The 935 style center exit exhaust looks good on the car.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

I got the Numeric one. Single best thing I've done to the car. The factory one is a literal joke.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I also replaced pretty much every rubber hose in the engine bay - not really sure why a big time shop would put 30 year old hoses back on after a complete engine rebuild...

That's really surprising. Hoses are typically a no-compromise item during repairs that will be changed if they are needed. If the customer won't approve to pay for them then the job is off because they're going to cause an issue and the customer is going to come back complaining.

You said in an older post that typically the cleaner the shop, the better the level of work. I chuckled a bit when I read that because it's often the other way around. A dirty/clean shop shouldn't always indicate the level of quality. Most of the shops I've worked at are typically a little cluttered and dirty at times because cleaning is not the #1 priority, the work is.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What an awesome project! Love the slant nose. I was watching Mecum last night and there was a 1 of 34(?) 1987 Turbo Slant Nose up for auction. Gorgeous car. It....and yours. It sold for $160,000.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Wow we have a couple rare 87 930's Ours is not a slant nose, but is a targa (under 100 for the year). The prior owner spent a ton freshening the engine as well. Really enjoy the car.

Users who are viewing this thread