Rebirth of an Icon
Ford offers an inside look at the creation of the new Focus RS
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company
In case you hadn’t heard, the 350-horsepower, all-wheel-drive 2016 Focus RS is headed for US highways. As if we didn’t already have enough reasons to get excited about the forthcoming Focus RS, Ford is stoking flames with a new documentary series title Rebirth of an Icon. The series will unfold online over eight weeks starting on with the first episode on September 30.
“The Focus RS is a unique performance vehicle with an incredible heritage. This creates enormous expectation and intense pressure that demands teamwork, sheer determination and a single-minded focus on delivering the ultimate Focus,” Raj Nair, Ford’s Group Vice President, Global Product Development and Chief Technical Officer, said. “This access-all-areas documentary perfectly captures what is at times a bumpy ride.”
Take a look at the trailer right here…
Ford is promising a “warts and all” look at the struggles and triumphs associated with creating a performance car worthy of wearing the RS badge, and here’s what you can expect to see in the upcoming episodes:
- Episode 1: Project kick-off —Ken Block and Raj Nair debate what the car should deliver, from behind the wheel of an early prototype
- Episode 2: Design and development—Crunching crashes put the new design to the toughest of tests
- Episode 3: Hitting the road—A 1,000-mile (1,600-kilometer) drive through epic terrain takes prototypes from high in the Rocky Mountains to the Arizona desert
- Episode 4: Test-track trials—Ken Block heads for Ford’s top-secret test facility, and indulges in some “hooning”
- Episode 5: Arctic extremes—Winter testing in Sweden, and the team is under pressure to improve performance
- Episode 6: Power struggle—It’s all about performance, as the Ford manufacturing plant in Saarloui, Germany, gears up for production
- Episode 7: Close scrutiny—The day of the critical sign-off drive follows Ken Block’s headline appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Episode 8: Final chapter—It’s time for the nail-biting management review
As you can see, Ford wasn’t kidding about having Ken Block consulting on the Focus RS. This vehicle has a lot of history in Europe and the added pressure of making it available worldwide should provide an interesting wrinkle to this series.
And, don’t worry. As each episode is released we’ll share it with you here so you don’t miss out.