On to the Plenum! (port process)

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Well, 03Bite was asking about porting a plenum and I was just about to start doing mine, so I figured I would just post it for everyone. This was a lot of work....and sadly, the paint is slightly too light (not that you can tell since it's not by the supercharger), but that will be fixed when I get another day off as well as polishing the inside of the plenum (just opened up for now)

On to the pictures:
tools:

shaping bits
HPIM0677.jpg
HPIM0678.jpg

HPIM0681.jpg

smoothing sand wheel
HPIM0680.jpg

finishing (flapper wheel)
HPIM0679.jpg

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
And what it looks like now....like I said. The inside needs to be finished (polished), but I ran out of time. I only had one day off :banana:

HPIM0672.jpg

HPIM0674.jpg

HPIM0675.jpg

HPIM0673.jpg

HPIM0676.jpg

HPIM0682.jpg

I want to smooth out the rest of the paint and then repaint it the same color as the supercharger (like I mentioned before it is a shade or two too light) and then polish the inside, but at least you guys can get the idea :beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Looks great!

Man you guys are crazy for only using a 1/8" die grinder. That takes a ton of time. Also that smallest spot really doesn't need any weld. You can leave it a hair high and won't break through. That inside radius can get some more ground off of it also. By the inlet of the blower towards the front of the car inside the plenum. You'll pick up a lot of flow by removing as much as you can.;-)

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Looks great!

Man you guys are crazy for only using a 1/8" die grinder. That takes a ton of time. Also that smallest spot really doesn't need any weld. You can leave it a hair high and won't break through. That inside radius can get some more ground off of it also. By the inlet of the blower towards the front of the car inside the plenum. You'll pick up a lot of flow by removing as much as you can.;-)

Thank you for the advice! When I pull it back off I will make sure to take that inner radius down a bit more. Mind if I send you some pics when I do it to check with you?

It was all in using the right tool! Once I found that burr wheel thing (not sure what it's called), it actually went pretty quickly. Biggest issue I had was the aluminum getting to hot and getting stuck in the teeth. Once everything was ground down, it just took a sanding wheel to get it smooth and the flapper wheel to finish it off. I just killed that flapper wheel smoothing out the outside before I could get to the inside :bash:

Awesome job Suaveflooder!!!! You really did a nice job job with it. Impressive.

Thanks! I wanted to do it, but I'm cheap. I figure I spent about $60-$70 total counting the $30 to weld it (WAYYYY cheaper than I expected with aluminum)

That right there is about one of the most impressive things I've seen on here.

:beer: :rockon:

Thanks a ton! That is a HUGE compliment! I will make sure to post pictures when it is cleaned up a bit more. Just got to get another day off :beer:

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You or anybody else can pm me anytime you want to. Also use a little oil or anything on that cutter and it won't load up so bad. Just dip it in some motor oil or anything lol. Keep the rpm's down and that will help also. I'm getting ready to order an electric grinder:banana: finally and it's like $450 but I can control the rpm's perfectly.

Grinding that inside radius more (which it seems you have some already) will help tremendously.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
You or anybody else can pm me anytime you want to. Also use a little oil or anything on that cutter and it won't load up so bad. Just dip it in some motor oil or anything lol. Keep the rpm's down and that will help also. I'm getting ready to order an electric grinder:banana: finally and it's like $450 but I can control the rpm's perfectly.

Grinding that inside radius more (which it seems you have some already) will help tremendously.

Thanks for everything, Posi! You have helped A TON!!

Nice work!

thank you :beer:

Jefe

Established Member
Did you put it back on the car and drive it or is it sitting right now?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member

LOl, good tip I used motor oil when I did mine. If I can give the OP another tip = go and pick up a flexible extension for your dremel and it will make it easier to get into the TB and plenum to remove matl.

Users who are viewing this thread