Dear fluidyne...

Sagittaria

Established Member
Radiator finally went kaput with a catastrophic leak and got stranded in the middle of the desert. It's barely a year old.

I have a 800 mile trip back to work after the holidays which I absolutely can't miss. $%$&$! Why do these radiators leak so much?

Mine leaked after a few months but they did honor the warranty as it was under a year. The oem radiator will do the job best with a Reische t-stat IMHO.

timbo3282

Established Member
From what I understand they leak mostly due to 2 reasons - galvanic corrosion (you put the wrong fluids in them) or they crack at the welds because of improper installation (e.g. the ABS or other lines are pressing on the radiator. You have to make sure that the radiator has free play to move around in the car. If it can't, it'll crack and leak typically after about a year.

I've talked to guys in the Austin area that have had Fluidyne's in their 03-04 Cobra's for 5+ years with no issues.

Royal Purple's Purple Ice radiator additive used with Ford Premium Gold Coolant and filtered drinking water (*NOT* distilled water) is the best mix to use per Fluidyne. Distilled water is too active electrically apparently (which totally counters what I THOUGH I knew about water chemistry. Purple Ice was recently reformulated to provide even better protection against galvanic corrosion and doesn't foam like it used to.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'd Never use the water out of the tap at my house in Florida for the radiator too many deposits, purified H2O with Redline and 25% coolant!

timbo3282

Established Member
Are they cracking at the welds?

When I got into the market for a new radiator I did a lot of research on the topic (didn't get much help on this forum honestly).

It seems the Fluidyne radiators that fail in under 3ish years are failing at the welds on the tanks. This appears to happen because not enough care is taken at installation to make sure that no hoses, pipes, etc. are pressing on the radiator. If you make sure that there is some free play that prevents the leaking tanks.

The Fluidynes that leak after 3+ years are leaking because of corrosion. Adding distilled water to an all aluminum radiator apparently accelerates the process. It is recommended to use filtered bottled water where they filter everything out but then add just a bit of mineral back in - that water is less corrosive. using the filtered water with the Ford Premium Gold antifreeze and Royal Purple Purple Ice (following the dosing instructions) provides the best protection against galvanic corrosion.

timbo3282

Established Member
whats wrong with the OEM radiator? Why did you switch to a Fluidyne?

Moving from Chicago to Austin I just didn't like how HOT my Cobra was running all the time. Then I overheated with the car idling in a parking lot and that is enough for me. I'm upgrading to the Fluidyne Radiator, Heat Exchanger and throwing in a 170 degree Reische thermostat too.

If it is running hot now, it'll only run hotter after I throw on the Whipple so I wanted the extra cooling capacity to handle the hot weather down here.

Even if you wait to cruise until 9PM it is still in the mid 90s - extra cooling capacity can only be a good thing with the Whipple in the mix.

timbo3282

Established Member
I also bought the Mishimoto 97-04 Mustang Aluminum Upper Radiator Brackets. The bushing they have in them is a softer rubber which along with some other modification during install will make sure the radiator has adequate free play and won't experience the leaks caused by tank weld cracking.

Time will tell - I plan to document my installation and post it up on the site and I'll let everyone know if I have any leaks moving forward.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Hey, do I know you? I'm in 29 too, any time you need help workin on the termi, shoot me a PM

Yeah we've seen each other around base. I'm leaving for Cherry Point tomorrow unfortunately..

whats wrong with the OEM radiator? Why did you switch to a Fluidyne?

Came with it (just installed) when I got it last year. Previous owner's fan went out and he thought it was the radiator.:shrug:

Are they cracking at the welds?

I'd say it to be. I can see water on both sides near the tanks, however it starts at the top and drips down inside the fins.

When I got into the market for a new radiator I did a lot of research on the topic (didn't get much help on this forum honestly).

It seems the Fluidyne radiators that fail in under 3ish years are failing at the welds on the tanks. This appears to happen because not enough care is taken at installation to make sure that no hoses, pipes, etc. are pressing on the radiator. If you make sure that there is some free play that prevents the leaking tanks.

The Fluidynes that leak after 3+ years are leaking because of corrosion. Adding distilled water to an all aluminum radiator apparently accelerates the process. It is recommended to use filtered bottled water where they filter everything out but then add just a bit of mineral back in - that water is less corrosive. using the filtered water with the Ford Premium Gold antifreeze and Royal Purple Purple Ice (following the dosing instructions) provides the best protection against galvanic corrosion.

I already knew about the distilled water. 25% coolant plus drinking water (was actually going to use tap but the water here is beyond hard) and watter wetter. I bent and loosened the top mounts as best I could a couple months ago after reading another post about it.

Half the stuff the previous owner put into this car was installed incorrectly. (TB hanging on by two loose bolts, k-member bolts loose... etc.). I had it apart last night and noticed the drivers side has a good amount of play in it but the passengers side does not. I can't see what's holding it down exactly but the ABS can go back further.

Ugh. Good info though. When I redo this I'll be sure to get the Mishi mounts and make sure it has plenty of room to move. Fixed it temporarily with Alumaseal stop leak... new radiator here I come.

Last edited:

rudycobra

Established Member
Dam ! I have fluidyne too and just brought it fri to radiator shop to c if can fix it because I keep getting a tiny drip in the coils somewhere !

Zacharyx

Established Member
Distilled water is too active electrically apparently (which totally counters what I THOUGH I knew about water chemistry.

I remember in Chemistry class ( way back when) not being able to pass current through distilled water, but add a little salt and it passed current, so it seems I have been wrong as well.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

earico

Established Member
I've had 2 fluidynes fail. Will not purchase from them again

That is why I went with a Mishimoto. If it fails it has a lifetime warranty and yes they back that up too. Many members have gotten replacements.

earico

Established Member
I also bought the Mishimoto 97-04 Mustang Aluminum Upper Radiator Brackets. The bushing they have in them is a softer rubber which along with some other modification during install will make sure the radiator has adequate free play and won't experience the leaks caused by tank weld cracking.

Time will tell - I plan to document my installation and post it up on the site and I'll let everyone know if I have any leaks moving forward.

Lethal Performance didn't even know about these radiator stays and did not offer them on their site. I gave them the Mishimoto part number and they shipped them with my new radiator. Now I see that they have them on their website. That's awesome and I hope others see them and use them in the future.

Zacharyx

Established Member
I have put fluidynes and mishimotos in cars for friends, both have cracked ( 2 friends with fluidyne, 3 with Mishi, one of each cracked) , Mishimoto is easier to get your replacement through. Honestly if you pulled the logos off you would not be able to tell them apart

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've had my Fluidyne for 4-5 years without issue.

I will probably be flushing it out and refilling without distilled water soon however.

Users who are viewing this thread