ATTENTION: KILLER CHILLER USERS H/E bypass how to(switchable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
BEWARE: Long Read lol:uh oh:
The killer chiller is awesome in its own right:bowdown:. But i did a mod that i've been kicking around for a few months. Talked to Joe Kincaid(owner of Kincaid performance and maker of killer chiller) and discussed this with him.

The normal route for fluid for intercooler is--------Reservoir--pump--heat exchanger--intercooler--back to reservoir.
When you install killer chiller the new route is reservoir--pump--heat exchanger--killer chiller--intercooler--back to reservoir.
No matter the amount of line insulation you use, the heat exchanger becomes a cold exchanger and rids the system of cold water:dw:(especially for those of us here in Texas, this summer has seen 40+ days of 100+ degree temps).:nonono:

You can buy some 3-way valves off the internet for about $70 each or do what i did below and spent about $35 total.:rockon:
I went to my local hardware store and bought 3 one-way pvc 3/4" valves and 6, 3/4" nylon fittings, and 2, 3/4" T-fittings.

1. use teflon pipe sealant on the fittings and screw them into valves.
2. pull off front bumper cover(2 inner fender screws, a coupe under car push in nylon plugs, headlights, and a few nylon push in plugs by radiator area)
3. I cut the hose from pump(inlet hose to heat exchanger) and installed t-fitting and one way valve(in that order).
4. Cut and installed one way valve and then T-fitting (in that order) on discharge side of heat exchanger.
5. Now i used some 3/4" heater hose and the last one way valve and joined across the 2 nylon t-fittings(t-fitting to short hose to valve to short hose to other t-fitting).
Now you can shut off inlet and exit from heat exchanger and open up bypass.

New coolant flow is, Reservoir--pump--killer chiller--intercooler--back to reservoir. I insulated all hoses and lines.

One trouble spot i found is the exit hose back to reservoir. This sits right up against my Kenne Bell.:??: I took it off and isulated it with the insulation that used to be around my egr pipe.;-)

OK--now for results. Without bypass, you can notice a definite difference in 100+ degree driving.(remember, killer chiller makes water cooler while car is idling, because no air is going over heat exchanger to heat up the chilled water)
NOW--with bypass--turn off inlet and exit to heat exchanger and turn on valve for bypass. HUGE difference in a/c temp in car driving. I don't measure IAT's, but i do measure intercooler fluid temps.

Without killer chiller--car idling--94 degrees outside temp---intercooler fluid got up to 120 degrees.
With killer chiller(not using bypass)--car idling--94 degree outside temp--intercooler fluid 58 degrees(I know-right! ! awesome) :rockon::banana:
Using KC and bypass(i.e. turning off valves to heat exchanger and opening bypass line) outside temp 94 degrees--car idling--intercooler fluid 45 degrees! ! YES 45 degrees:dancenana:. And the best part, it doesn't get but up to 48 degrees after a 30 minute drive around and quick check.

Sorry for the long azz read, just wanted to be thorough and help improve on an already AWESOME product. If anyone has any questions, please post up or PM me and i will do my best to help.:banana::banana:

Last edited:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I'm going to need some pictures as I just did this recently, wish you had iat's as that's what i'm using and ths tock he has been making mine go into the 1 teens and lower 100's while driving, highest they get is 120 sitting for a bit.

stang910

Established Member
I have my HE bypassed and at the track this past friday and in 1st gear IAT2 dropped down to 96* and by the end of the quarter it was at 112*. This was with a full temperature car that was idling for about 10 minutes. I'm still using the stock intercooler resevior.

TRBO VNM

I am finishing up an install of one, but we are removing the HE and I am using it to cool the trans fluid(auto) as well as the intercooler coolant. Hopefully I will be driving it around tomorrow night and tuesday night to do some initial testing.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Did the same with the 3 one way valves and I highly recommend getting the $70 single 3 way valve as it will be a much simplier and cleaner install. For example here is my current rat's nest and this is before insulating everything. If I ever have to go back in I'll be replacing with the single valve.

b014.gif

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Noob question, but does the killer chiller allow you to keep A/C?

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member

Yes. The killer chiller uses the a/c to help cool the intercooler fluid and still cool the cabin. Bypassing the heat exchanger only helps to increase cooling.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Subscribing because I just bought Killer Chiller gen2 with Drag pack option in a group buy over at Svtsnake.com. Still waiting for the deliveryman to bring me my shipment lol. When I install it I'm planning on installing the 3 way valve also.

Last edited:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Did the same with the 3 one way valves and I highly recommend getting the $70 single 3 way valve as it will be a much simplier and cleaner install. For example here is my current rat's nest and this is before insulating everything. If I ever have to go back in I'll be replacing with the single valve.

b014.gif

Did you put it all together and then just cut the hose to fit? It looks like one solid piece, am I seeing that right? Do you have another picture by chance of maybe all the parts or just a different angle. :beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member

:poke:

Did you put it all together and then just cut the hose to fit? It looks like one solid piece, am I seeing that right? Do you have another picture by chance of maybe all the parts or just a different angle. :beer:

Yes, some of the hoses are very short and it's the only pic. I have. Please do yourselves a favor and spend the cash on the 3-way valve.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I just did mine tonight. Definitely helped out a great bit for $50.

Before the bypass on a 90* or even when we had a few days mid 70's after full ECT and being on for 30 mins normal driving stop and go my IAT2's were 105-110, 115-120 sitting still, once over 100 it would never go below that even at higher speeds or going wot. IC temps were 55-65 depending on time car was running.

After the install, tonight it's roughly 85* out. ECT were at 175 and my IAT2's were the lowest i've ever seen 65*, car had been running 10 mins. After a short drive and a few little bleeps on the throttle ECT were settled right at 178-180 and the IAT2's were mid 80's after 20 or so minutes being on and driving in town. Went to dinner and the car sat for an hour, IAT2's were 115 on start up, sat at a stop light for a few minutes and started going down slowly, got on the highway and they went to mid 90's, after about 10 more minutes they were upper 80's and staying! Nothing like dropping a solid 15-20 degrees on the iat2's! BTW did my intercooler water temps, they were mid to low 40's, only have one hose insulated and it's the one going to the firewall! Cheers!

Few pictures I took of my hardware and install, had a fun time taking the bumper off after I put it back on since the pump didn't prime right and had to adjust the valve from hitting my fogs.

100_1571.jpg

Before
100_1569.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1573.jpg

100_1576.jpg

100_1575.jpg

hacked bumper...
100_1567.jpg

Last edited:

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Why not just delete the heat exchanger all together? I know you would have to run the AC all the time but us FL boys do that anyways. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread