SVTPerformance Clutch Player : McLeod RXT Twin-Disc Clutch Install

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
www.svtperformance.com/forums/front...ayer-mcleod-rxt-twin-disc-clutch-install.html

SVTP_GT_McLeod_024.jpg

If there’s one area of the 2011+ 5.0 Mustangs that owners seem to universally agree needs modification to improve drivability, it’s the MT-82 manual transmission. In fact, one of the first mods we added to the SVTP GT was an MGW Shifter. While that produced a huge improvement in shift quality there was still plenty of room for improvement of the MT-82 driving experience. So when our friends at Lethal Performance offered us the chance to try out a McLeod RXT Twin-Disc Clutch and their accompanying steel flywheel, we jumped at the opportunity.

Paul Lee, the owner of McLeod Racing, has a long history in the world of high-performance motoring, including piloting Nitro Funny Cars. He brings his competitive nature to the business of clutch manufacturing to build what some in the industry consider the best clutch on the market. Lethal Performance has such confidence in McLeod clutches that they use them in three of their cars, even installing one in their 2011 GT before any power mods were added. And it has continued to provide unwavering performance in the face of over 750RWHP from a 2.9L Whipple Crusher and countless quarter-mile passes.

However, since the SVTP 5.0 spends about 98% of its time on the street, so we don’t want the clutch to feel like something that belongs in a Triple Seven Yuke. Fortunately, with the RXT you don’t have to accept dump-truck-like drivability in order to get massive power holding abilities. For those of you not familiar with McLeod’s clutch line, the RXT twin-disc kit is designed to handle ludicrous amounts of horsepower while retaining stock like street manners. The ceramic clutch materials make capable of holding up to 1000 horsepower, which should come in handy for some of the plans we have for the SVTP GT in the near future.:D

For the install we headed to Power-By the Hour in Boynton Beach, FL. Jake Long, the co-proprietor, and his crew got to work on our 5.0 in the morning, and by early afternoon we were ready hit the streets and put the RXT to the test. Follow along as we do the install:

I just love seeing new mods.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_002.jpg

Up on the lift and ready for some work.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_003.jpg

The mid-pipe has to come out.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_004.jpg

This should give you a hint about an upcoming article.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_005.jpg

With the exhaust and drive shaft out of the way it's time to start removing the tranny.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_007.jpg

The shifter has to unbolted from the body. We'll be going in for some updates to our MGW shifter in the near future.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_008.jpg

The starter motor has to come out to drop the tranny.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_031.jpg

With a tranny jack in place it's time to start lowering the MT-82.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_009.jpg

It can't just be dropped straight down, it has to be pulled back.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_010.jpg

This disengages the transmission input shaft.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_011.jpg

Then the tranny can be dropped down and moved out of the way.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_012.jpg

Not a view you see very often.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_036.jpg

Here's a shot of the stock throw-out bearing.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_016.jpg

The stock clutch is not a bad looking piece.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_014.jpg

During my short lunch break the techs at PBH removed the stock flywheel, installed the McLeod flywheel, and started bolting up the McLeod unit withe the inner clutch plate and floater disc.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_015.jpg

Making sure everything is torqued properly is essential to a perfect installation.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_017.jpg

The second clutch disc can then be installed.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_019.jpg

The pressure plate can then be installed.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_024.jpg

The MT-82 can then be positioned back in place.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_026.jpg

It's a tight fit getting everything back in the transmission tunnel.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_029.jpg

Again, everything needs to be torqued to spec.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_037.jpg

It's all coming back together.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_038.jpg

The massive stock drive shaft can now be reinstalled.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_034.jpg

Here you can see the drive shaft pinion flange. The damp area on the axle is from oil being emitted from the vent. We'll have a fix for that in the near future.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_039.jpg

Here you can see the mounting bracket for the center bearing of the stock two-piece drive shaft.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_040.jpg

The exhaust can now be replaced.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_041.jpg

We found an SVTP member's GT500 at PBH for a little work.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_042.jpg

Off the lift and ready for a road test.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_044.jpg

If you haven't gotten your fill of McLeod clutch install media you should check out this video produced by McLeod:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rWX6zKIGLaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Once the new McLeod clutch was installed and the hydraulic system was bleed we were ready to head out for a test drive. The first thing we noticed during our test drive was that there wasn’t really anything to notice. The pedal effort didn’t seem to have increased in the slightest versus the stock setup. This is one of the big selling features of the RXT/RST twin-disc lineup. If you have driven a Fox based Mustang with a heavy duty clutch you know that they can definitely give your left leg a workout, and a long day of that (like being stuck in traffic during Mustang Week) can lead to a fatigued driver. With the McLeod RXT installed in the SVTP GT the pedal effort felt essentially stock. I really couldn’t tell much of a difference, which was good news to me because I have to drive that car around Myrtle Beach, SC in Summer traffic.

The biggest difference, and one that is greatly welcomed, is that the clutch take-up is now much more linear. One of our biggest complaints with stock organic clutch was that the manner in which it engaged was unpredictable. That problem is now gone. Unlike the stock clutch, the engagement of the RXT feels exactly the same every time. After a brief break-in period, roughly 100 miles for the SVTP GT, the clutch exhibits basically no chatter if you drive it properly. Speaking of proper driving technique, it may take you a few trips around town to figure it out. The McLeod seems to like more RPM and a little more slippage at takeoff than the stock unit when trying for a smooth engagement. However, for a clutch with such epic bite it is surprisingly simple to drive it smoothly. And let’s face it; no one wants to deal with jack-rabbit starts in civilized street car. After giving it a considerable beating on the street and at the strip the GT’s new clutch showed absolutely no signs of any issues.

If you’re wondering about the differences between the McLeod RXT and RST clutches wonder no more. The major difference in the two is the clutch friction material that is utilized in their construction. The RXT uses a ceramic composite material, while the RST offers an organic friction plate. While the two different materials offer essentially the same driving experience, they do differ in two areas. First, the RXT is capable of supporting up to 1,000HP, while the RST is limited to about 800HP. For a street car, either choice is likely overkill. The other difference can be found in the price. The RXT tends to retail for about $200 more than the RST. Not a huge amount of money, but still something to think about. We decided to go with the RXT because according to our philosophy, if you’re going to kill something you might as well overkill it.

Below are some pics that should highlight the differences between the two McLeod clutches and the reason it is necessary to run the accompanying flywheel with either clutch choice:

Here you can see why you must use the McLeod flywheel with the RXT clutch. The larger hub area opening of the stock unit would only allow about half of the smaller McLeod clutch disc to engage the flywheel surface.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_045.jpg

Here's a view from another angle.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_046.jpg

Here you can see how much larger the stock pressure plate is than the McLeod unit.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_051.jpg

Another angle.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_052.jpg

And one more.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_053.jpg

For those interested, the stock clutch is made by Valeo...

SVTP_GT_McLeod_055.jpg

...in Turkey

SVTP_GT_McLeod_054.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the RXT (left) and RST (not left) clutch discs.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_056.jpg

The RXT's friction material is a ceramic composite.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_057.jpg

The RST's (right) friction material is organic, but it is a far more robust formulation than the stock clutch disc.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_058.jpg

Surprisingly, with less friction material area the RXT actially is rated to withstand 200 more horsepower than the RST.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_059.jpg

Here you can see some of the various materials that compose the RXT clutch material.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_060.jpg

Since both clutches can hold more power than most street cars will ever see, the choice of which on to use will likely depend on your budget.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_063.jpg

With a decent amount of use on it, the stock clutch from the SVTP GT still looks pretty good.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_064.jpg

Here you can see that the McLeod unit is a more compact design than the stock disc.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_065.jpg

The difference is even more evident when the discs are overlaid.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_066.jpg

If you remember the larger hub opening of the stock flywheel you'll be able to see why you must use the McLeod flywheel with a McLeod clutch.

SVTP_GT_McLeod_067.jpg

When it comes to performance, the McLeod RXT leaves the stock unit behind (bad pun intended).

SVTP_GT_McLeod_068.jpg

Essentially, when you buy a McLeod RXT for you 2011+ Mustang GT you’re getting a clutch with stock like street manners, but with the ability to handle up to 1,000 horsepower. It’s tough to beat that combination. If making ridiculous power through an MT-82 is in your future, you really should consider adding a McLeod clutch. For the SVTP GT, its tranny is now one step closer to feeling the way it should have felt from the factory.

For a little better description of the physical differences between McLeod RXT and RST clutches, along with the stock setup, check out this video featuring Jared Rosen from Lethal Performance:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/kW34B532VI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Special Thanks To:

Lethal Performance

Power By The Hour Performance

McLeod Racing Clutches

-SID297:beer:

stang910

Established Member
Did that car have a Boss clutch in it? I notice the pressure plate uses a 9 bolt pattern or did Ford just change the pressure plate and flywheel in the later models?

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Good write up.

I installed the RST on my 496 motor (634 hp / 666 lb-ft), mostly because Red Roberts told me to. (I asked about the RXT and he told me to buy the RST "That's what I made the RST for, a motor and car like you have"). lol

I love the RST, easy pedal pressure, quick release, and the more you use it, the more grab it gives you.

E

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Did that car have a Boss clutch in it? I notice the pressure plate uses a 9 bolt pattern or did Ford just change the pressure plate and flywheel in the later models?

That was the stock clutch.

So when you get the rxt clutch kit does IT come with the flywheel or do you have to get that seperate?

You can buy them separately, but Lethal sells it as a package for the reasons mentioned in the article and videos.

gimpy2011

Established Member
I had a McLeod RXT with a McLeod steel flywheel installed in my Procharged 2011 GT and, in my particular instance, had issues since day one of the install. The pedal effort on my McLeod RXT was as advertised, much like the stock pedal feel, but it had a strange engagement feeling and was not predictable at all. It is really difficult to explain the feeling of the engagement but I can only relate it to a "pop" with a bit of grinding. After about 800 or 900 miles of easy use the strange engagement never went away so I pulled the clutch and sent it off to McLeod for inspection. I have driven a 2012 Boss with the same combo installed and it drives like stock so I know there is definitely something wrong with my assembly.

I can understand having manufacturer defects in some products, but I believe that when those defects arise they should be handled in a timely fashion. My experience with McLeod's customer service has been, thus far, less than stellar. I have made several attempts to get in contact with someone who is able to address my concerns with this clutch but have yet to realize that goal. Every one of my dozen or so emails as well as my repeated phone calls and messages have yet to be answered no matter the time of day I try. I, on the other hand, will say that Lethal Performance, the company I purchased the clutch and flywheel from, has excellent customer service and are very responsive when contacted with questions or concerns.

I have no doubt that a correctly functioning RXT drives great and is a great value, but with the customer service I have experienced from McLeod I will not be purchasing or recommending any of their products from now on.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Awesome job Travis!! Thanks again for coming down to see us. Can't wait to do it all again.

Jared

bpmurr

Established Member
While the McLeod is a nice unit there is a reason why it's smaller than stock. The stock is a sprung hub which keeps vibration down and chatter (usually at low RPM). Not sure why McLeod hasn't developed a sprung unit like the OEM clutch for those looking for better NVH.

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
While the McLeod is a nice unit there is a reason why it's smaller than stock. The stock is a sprung hub which keeps vibration down and chatter (usually at low RPM). Not sure why McLeod hasn't developed a sprung unit like the OEM clutch for those looking for better NVH.

We actually do offer a sprung hub RXT for the 2010-2012 GT500's. Nothing for the 07-09's yet.

Here's a link to it.
Mcleod 2010-2012 GT500 Sprung Hub RXT StreetTwin Disc Clutch Kit (Clutch Only) - Mcleod - Clutch Kits - Clutches - Transmission - 2011-2012 Shelby GT500

It's designed to work with the stock 2010-2012 GT500 flywheel as well.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Paul Lee

Established Member
I can understand having manufacturer defects in some products, but I believe that when those defects arise they should be handled in a timely fashion. My experience with McLeod's customer service has been, thus far, less than stellar. I have made several attempts to get in contact with someone who is able to address my concerns with this clutch but have yet to realize that goal. Every one of my dozen or so emails as well as my repeated phone calls and messages have yet to be answered no matter the time of day I try. I, on the other hand, will say that Lethal Performance, the company I purchased the clutch and flywheel from, has excellent customer service and are very responsive when contacted with questions or concerns.

Please call me at McLeod at 714-630-2764, and have the girls page me. I would like to discuss the issues you had with customer service, as I DO care about each and every customer. I too, am a car nut, and I too, sometimes have issues with parts i buy for my cars. I'd like to duscuss your issues and see if we can fix them.

Regards,

Paul Lee
President - McLeod Racing, LLC

bpmurr

Established Member
We actually do offer a sprung hub RXT for the 2010-2012 GT500's. Nothing for the 07-09's yet.

Here's a link to it.
Mcleod 2010-2012 GT500 Sprung Hub RXT StreetTwin Disc Clutch Kit (Clutch Only) - Mcleod - Clutch Kits - Clutches - Transmission - 2011-2012 Shelby GT500

It's designed to work with the stock 2010-2012 GT500 flywheel as well.

Hope that helps.

Jared

I needed this two years ago when I bought that McLeod from you guys! :) At the time I had to use the 07-09 one with a slave cylinder swap in my 10 GT500. It made a lot of noise at low RPM. It's cool they finally made it though! Even though I wasn't happy with the product the customer service from McLeod and Lethal was top notch. I'd buy again from both of you.

Last edited:

kbrier

Established Member
RST in 03 Cobra

I bought the RST from Lethal and installed it in my 03 Cobra (~ 580 HP to rear wheels). I had McLeod refurbish (replace insert) on my stock aluminum flywheel. This clutch is 1000 times better in every way than the after market clutch I took out of the car. The pedal effort is like a four cylinder car ... FANTASTIC!! I do not have any chatter or other vibration / noise issues. It is like a totally different car now ... LET'S RIDE !!!

Best, Kent

kabuki73

Established Member
I had a McLeod RXT with a McLeod steel flywheel installed in my Procharged 2011 GT and, in my particular instance, had issues since day one of the install. The pedal effort on my McLeod RXT was as advertised, much like the stock pedal feel, but it had a strange engagement feeling and was not predictable at all. It is really difficult to explain the feeling of the engagement but I can only relate it to a "pop" with a bit of grinding. After about 800 or 900 miles of easy use the strange engagement never went away so I pulled the clutch and sent it off to McLeod for inspection. I have driven a 2012 Boss with the same combo installed and it drives like stock so I know there is definitely something wrong with my assembly.

I have no doubt that a correctly functioning RXT drives great and is a great value, but with the customer service I have experienced from McLeod I will not be purchasing or recommending any of their products from now on.

i have the same issue with my RXT on my GT500 08 same strange engagement feeling but i thought it was normal since its not the stock parts !?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I'm extremely satisfied with my RXT, it's driveability, and the fact that it will absolutely kill my car at the track on slicks below 5k lol.

Anyone have more info on Valeo? They made the DFX that came out of my car also..

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Nice pics and write up!

I'm extremely satisfied with my RXT, it's driveability, and the fact that it will absolutely kill my car at the track on slicks below 5k lol.

Anyone have more info on Valeo? They made the DFX that came out of my car also..

Valeo is an OEM supplier to a lot of companies. That make a pretty good product.

hollywub

Established Member
Please help. Car on lift and we are stuck

I am installing a new RST Clutch with the Tremec Magnum XL in a 2006 GT

I have a new SPEC aluminum flywheel insert. D and D said I could use this flywheel with the RST as I already had the flywheel and I am going to an 8 bolt in the winter.

The clutch disc that is on the flywheel side in hanging over the inside of the flywheel surface by a little less than an 1/8 of an inch.

I am guessing this is ok, but I wanted to make sure. The difference between the the clutch disc inside diameter and the flywheel diameter is just under a 1/4".

I do not want to put this car together and have it come apart again because the disc can not hang over the inside.

Thanks!

Please call me at McLeod at 714-630-2764, and have the girls page me. I would like to discuss the issues you had with customer service, as I DO care about each and every customer. I too, am a car nut, and I too, sometimes have issues with parts i buy for my cars. I'd like to duscuss your issues and see if we can fix them.

Regards,

Paul Lee
President - McLeod Racing, LLC

Users who are viewing this thread