Stereo Installation - adios Mach 460

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Today, I decided to tackle one of the few remaining projects I had for my vert. I had a Memphis Car Audio / Pioneer system installed in my now totaled 99. When I bought it back from the insurance company, I removed it all and piled it in a corner. After doing some research, I picked up some Second Skin and some Ensolite then watched several stereo installation videos on Youtube. So today was the day.... game on.

Removed the interior first.
file_zpsee7c0d09.jpg

I vacuumed and then cleaned the surfaces with Denatured Alcohol.

Here's the back seat wells ready for sound deadening.
file_zps19df9340.jpg

Second skin down :)
file_zpsbffd34c4.jpg

Ensolite on top of the second skin:
file_zps0e2ecb5a.jpg

I then did most of the wiring, including the power wire from the battery (4ga) and the speaker out RCA's from the head unit. Here it is almost done. I still have to clean up the wiring to the amp in the trunk, but it does all work.
In each door and the back seat, I replaced both speakers. I depowered the Mach460 amps and installed a Memphis Belle. It was an entire day in the garage...good times.

Tomorrow I'll reinstall the interior and clean up the speaker wires.

file_zpse4261120.jpg

file_zpsf31121e6.jpg

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Looking good, I should do something like this for me but mostly to battle drone.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Presidents Day update:
I needed to move the cross overs under the rear seat, as they were pushing up against the seat bottom. Here is the final placement.
file_zps670a46dd.jpg

Next, I had to come up with a design to support the amp on the back wall of the trunk liner. I had some MDF lying around and went to work. I also removed the stock Mach460 amps, which left two mounting bolts.

Looking from inside to the rear:
file_zps8ec29ad9.jpg

Looking from the bottom up:
file_zpsdab0ed68.jpg

Looking forward, though its upside down:
file_zps9e30521b.jpg

Memphis Belle mounted up :)
file_zpsa094c841.jpg

With the sub and new bumper inserts.
file_zps31a014d8.jpg

All done with that project :banana:

Gauges are next......

drusmith

Established Member
I will be doing this same thing in about 2 months! Getting away from the big 2-12" that where installed in my Cobra before I bought it! Going with just kick ass stock size in doors and rear panels. what are you running for mids and highs?

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
I will be doing this same thing in about 2 months! Getting away from the big 2-12" that where installed in my Cobra before I bought it! Going with just kick ass stock size in doors and rear panels. what are you running for mids and highs?

All Memphis Car Audio gear. The speakers and amp I have are from the totaled 99 in my signature. The 4 mids are MClass Component Speakers 15-MCS5 (5 1/4) and then I have two separate Memphis silk tweeters for the triangle door speakers. The amp is a Memphis Belle 16-MCH600 which is discontinued. Sub is also Memphis Audio 10" in a removable box. I'm not much of an audiophile, but it does sound much clearer than the Mach460 did.

BTW, love the wheels, what are they and what color?

Last edited:

sicfast

Established Member
Doing the exact same thing to mine right now, never realized how crappy the Mach 460 was, until I bought and installed my own separates and amps. Literally sounds 10x better, and is 3x louder!

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Did the sound deadening make a big road noise difference?

To be honest, its hard to say with a vert. I just finished up the trunk deadening today. When you strip out the interior and interior panels, you can really see what little vibration/sound deadener Ford did apply. In the end I think any dampener/sound insulation will help.

Mac

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Nice install! Last fall I upgraded the alternator and routed 0 gauge throughout including back to the trunk. Can't get to it this summer (getting wheels) but next winter I want to run 2-10's.....like a kicker Solo X or 2 Solobarics. And of course sound deadening.

Last edited:

Josh10924

Established Member
Nice install! Last fall I upgraded the alternator and routed 0 gauge throughout including back to the trunk. Can't get to it this summer (getting wheels) but next winter I want to run 2-10's.....like a kicker Solo X or 2 Solobarics. And of course sound deadening.

All you need is 1 10" SoloX trust me. One is insane! Two would just rattle your car apart. Beside the air space needed for the box wouldn't allow you to put 2 in the trunk I don't think. One barely fit in my 04 gt.

svtaddict

Established Member
i hope that fat blue wire isn't your power wire running along side your rca's. That's gonna give you tons of interferance.

matt87

Established Member
all that work just to make your car slower! J/K! awsome job on the install!

Users who are viewing this thread