Front brake cooling ducts are FINALLY done!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
s197brakeductsfb2.jpg

I know it's been a long time coming, but the brake ducts are finally done! :pepper:

Most likely you've seen the unpainted version mounted on my car for the Road America event last Fall:

pa120470bj2.jpg

Well, they are finally available. They are constructed out of heavy gauge .090" Aluminum and all components are TIG welded. These are super high efficiency units that are also ultra light weight! The delivered price is $150.00 for the pair in the Continental US via ground service delivery. These ducts will fit ALL iterations of the S-197 line. Mustang GT, Roush, Saleen, V-6, Stick, Automatic. It matters not. One size fits all!

The price is for the ducts only. They bolt onto the spindle utilizing the same bolts that hold the splash shield in place once you remove it. The hose can be purchased either at your local race shop for big bucks or the RV section at Wally World disguised as 3" RV sewer hose. ;-)

If you want high efficiency ducting I suggest taking out the fog lights and going through the openings.

GT500onscales.JPG

There is a 4" to 3" sheetmetal reducing bushing taped to the front fascia to grab more air. I bought them at the hardware store. Any Home Depot or Lowe's store will have them.

Depending on demand, it might be two more months before I can complete another production run.

Let me know if you're interested.

Bruce

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

03snakerush

Established Member
Nice job- Those things alone make me want a GT500!!:beer: I'm sure guys here are going to snap those babies up real quick.:thumbsup:

chuckstang

Established Member
Bruce can you explain more on this...I thought the GT500 came with cooling ducts already or something like this? How will that SAI front cooling package work like on the 40th package?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
The GT500 comes with holes in the bumper to accept proper cooling ducts like these. Bruse is using the foglight holes for ducting, but the car comes with provisions to mount them in the lower grille.

Here are the ones in the lower grille

FordMustang500_1_560px.jpg

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
Bruce can you explain more on this...I thought the GT500 came with cooling ducts already or something like this? How will that SAI front cooling package work like on the 40th package?

See post #78 here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311775&page=4

There are pics of the factory connections on the backside of the lower grille opening. You need to make the cut out for the air to go through. I didn't want to hack that area up #1 and #2 I didn't feel it would have given me enough air either.

There is NO provision to connect to the spindle.

jimbobbeg said:
I'm interested in a pair. PM contact info.

You'll need 5 posts for PM privileges!

silent Thunder

Established Member
OK since I've not done this before to a car, I understand you connect and clamp it to the back of the wheel but since it turns left and right, do you leave extra tubing and is it clear where it should be routed? What keeps the tubing from rubbing on the back of the tires?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
silent Thunder said:
OK since I've not done this before to a car, I understand you connect and clamp it to the back of the wheel but since it turns left and right, do you leave extra tubing and is it clear where it should be routed? What keeps the tubing from rubbing on the back of the tires?

This cooling duct replaces the sheetmetal spash shield that's on the car now. Unbolt the splash shield (3 bolts) and install this duct cooling plate with the same screws. Pretty simple actually. Obviously, that requires the removal of the caliper and rotor!

Here's a pic (not the greatest angle though) with the hose on:

gt500s197brakeductsgc7.jpg

You zip tie the hose to the tie rod so it moves with the wheel and stays out of the way.

Sorry, I don't think I have any pics of the routing. Let me do a little digging.

chuckstang

Established Member
Can the tubing be hooked up to the stock cut outs in the bumper rather than the fogs?

How was the stock (SAI) front brake coolling ducts meant to work? I don't remember them having anything like these AL ducts you created, and can't see any function without them. (obviously not a problem for what you have created but just curious)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
Can the tubing be hooked up to the stock cut outs in the bumper rather than the fogs?

Yes. That's why Ford put the provision in there. I just felt uncomfortable driving over 140 mph three times a lap, and hauling down 4,000# with me in the car, with those OEM locations.

chuckstang said:
How was the stock (SAI) front brake coolling ducts meant to work? I don't remember them having anything like these AL ducts you created, and can't see any function without them. (obviously not a problem for what you have created but just curious)

The car only came with the provision of having the grille connection. Nothing was provided on the other end unless you just ran a hose and dumped it out by the inside of the rotor which would not be very efficient whatsoever.

:read:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
shelbygt500 said:
What form of payment do you accept?

Thanks

Andy

Seeing you don't have enough posts for PM privledges yet, drop me an email at bruce1995bmc at yahoo dot com

:-D

I think I'm down to the last pair. Looks like I need to get another batch going!?!? :idea:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Formula51 said:
Very nice work Bruce! Man I love tig welding. Did you fab them yourself or have someone do the work?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I can do a lot of things but welding aluminum aint one of them! :cryying: To say I can't weld aluminum would be an understatement! :dw:

These parts are my conception and design, I just jobbed out the fabrication to an expert. That's why they are a little pricey. They do good work, but they're not cheap!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Zorabot said:
That forklift looks just like my old Allis Chalmers forklift. Sweet shop.
Nice work on the colling ducts BTW :-D

Ha ha damn good eye. That fork lift is ironically enough, an AC. :-D AND it came out of the old Kenosha auto plant God only knows how many years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread