Heat Soak Explanation and why to consider a Revan Racing Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

Van@RevanRacing

I have had a lot of people inquire and ask about why there is such a difference with a Revan Racing dual fan heat exchanger versus heat exchangers with out fans.

The answer is in ambient and convective heat soak from the heat generated within the engine block.

When our cars are cold and we start them up and get going they are crisp and have tons of power because they are obviously cool. So what happens to many of us is we drive the car after it has gotten up to operating temperature and then we park the car. Whether you run in for a sandwich or whatever the car is sitting in a parking lot or your driveway after being warmed up and the operating temperature of the car is likely close to 180-200 plus degrees. When you let the car sit all of the heat from the block permeates the engine and subsequently the intercooler and the fluids within the intercooler and radiator causing those fluids to rise significantly. So an 30 minutes, an hour or two hours later you fire the car back up and it's completely heat soaked because nothing has been done to reduce ambient temperature because of the convective and ambient heat of the engine permeating and heat soaking the cooling mediums within the engine components.

When you utilize my dual fan heat exchanger the fans kick on and start to pull the heat from the heat exchanging and intercooling system immediately. Without fans you will have to drive the car for a good amount of time in order for the air to flow over the heat exchanger and cool the intercooler/heat exchanger fluid down to a point where timing is not pulled if you can get it to that point. Usually a long cruise on the highway can remedy the problem however stop and go traffic is brutal and difficult reduce the ambient temperature after a re-start.

The concept of the dual fans is that after the car has sat and gets heat soaked from sitting you immediately begin the process of removing the heat which gets you back into the power band much faster and gets the timing and spark advance retard point back to a point where it is under control and allows the ECU to provide you with maximum timing and spark advance.

In multiple data logs I have seen that the recover time of the intercooler fluid is much greater with the fans versus a non-fan heat exchanger. This is even faster when distilled water is utilized versus anti-freeze which is designe to retain heat, thus the reason why it is called 'Anti-Freeze', it holds heat.

A lot of people have said that I don't 'Race' my car. You don't have to 'race' your car to experience and utilize the benefits of a Revan Racing Dual Fan Heat Exchanger even if it is a daily driver.

Get the heat out as soon as possible and as quickly as possible.

Many drag racers use my heat exchanger with great success when they run back to back to back runs in something like True Street. For example, a member on SVT Performance, Kostas, actually improved his ET after each run at the NMRA event at Bradenton. His driving was good and his car wasn't pulling timing even as he went through the waiting time between rounds when you are not allowed to open your hood. And he doesn't have a trunk reservoir where you can access the trunk in a true street event. If he had not fans on the heat exchanger the idle temperatures would accelerate and his ET's would have been lower due to heat soak.

Please feel free to post your questions and I look forward to answering them.

Thanks

Van Collier
Revan Racing
561-445-7702
[email protected]

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
I can speak from experience the dual fan heat exchanger helps in daily driving. I know I didn't buy yours so feel free to hit me. However, you make a great product and the dual fan setup works.

mixxer

Established Member
Nicely put van! And may i add that sometimes we wire the fans to a toggle so our customers can sit with car off with fans and pump cooling off the car.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Nice explanation, which is why I chose your product. I still need to wire my fans to be able to turn off and on at my leisure. I forgot what I need to do to make this work. Do educate

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Nice write up Van! Do you make radiator set ups as well?

Nicely put van! And may i add that sometimes we wire the fans to a toggle so our customers can sit with car off with fans and pump cooling off the car.

gotta have the EH2O as well!!!

cool the ECT down quick with that set up!

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yes, he offers a great radiator too.

Kostas

Established Member
Thanx for the props Van, but my driving is not all that. Your product is! :rockon:

Everyone that has raced these cars, know how dificult it is to be consistent. They make lots of power/torque, thay are heavy, and the 6spd doesnt help much, not to mention track condition, weather etc. All those things, can be improved with a lot of practice and seat time, but Heatsoak CAN NOT! Thats where Van's H/E comes in to play. It is great to know what the car will, and can do, and everything else depends on your driving. It is just another very important variable that you dont have to worry about!

And for those thinking that since they dont race their car, or they are not pushing that much power, they are ok, nothing could be further than the truth!

I dataloged my car last year with an aftermarket H/E without fans. It was night time, around 75* and even after some WOT runs, IAT2 was around 118-120* Not bad i thought, until after i shut the car down for about 5 minutes, and started it back up, IAT2 was 165*!!!! It took a couple of hwy miles at speeds of 65mph to go back down to around 125-130* but by then i exited the hwy and waiting at the traffic light, IAT2 was climbing like seconds on a time watch!! It went up to 150* before i took off again!

I have not dataloged with Van's H/E because 1. Van did it a gazzilion times, 2. the diference on my car was so noticable after his H/E and 3. The few times at the track, was all the proof i needed!

Below are the time slips of the times Van mentioned on his post. After a 30 mile cruise, i made 3 passes within 45 minutes (check the time on the slips), without cool down, the sun beating on my car, and without opening my hood. All mph 130.17, 130.15, 130.17, and times were dead on, exept the ET witch was a result of my driving. Best ET of 11.05 was on the last run.
Bradentontimeslips.jpg

Below are the slips from last week at Atco, with 90* weather. First run of 10.83 was in the morning, and the 2mph was due to wheel spin. The other 2 runs were in the afternoon, hotlaping the car (check the time on the slips)
Atcorentaltimeslips.jpg

And by the way, i have both Van's H/E and radiator :rockon::rockon:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Perfect write-up on Heat Soak and how important it is to do whatever you can to help it. Important part you really hit on is the daily driving example. I tell people all the time if you sit in traffic or let the car sit for a while when you get back in and before you floor it make sure you drive it for a little bit and not in traffic. Get things moving again and to help cool the car down then you have a chance of seeing full power.

I'm learning as I go here about your product because in the 03/04 Market this just isn't an option.

Sent you a pm also.

Van@RevanRacing

Nice write up Van! Do you make radiator set ups as well?

gotta have the EH2O as well!!!

cool the ECT down quick with that set up!

Absolutely. I actually made the radiator before I made the heat exchanger. The radiator holds more than double the stock radiator in terms of fluid and utililzes a proprietary NASCAR core similar to what I use with the Heat Exchanger. The Heat Exchanger and Radiator are available with through Shelby American and Shelby Performance Parts Distributors or they are available with a C&R Logo (C&R manufactures the product). I sell them as does Evolution Performance.

Thanx for the props Van, but my driving is not all that. Your product is! :rockon:

Everyone that has raced these cars, know how dificult it is to be consistent. They make lots of power/torque, thay are heavy, and the 6spd doesnt help much, not to mention track condition, weather etc. All those things, can be improved with a lot of practice and seat time, but Heatsoak CAN NOT! Thats where Van's H/E comes in to play. It is great to know what the car will, and can do, and everything else depends on your driving. It is just another very important variable that you dont have to worry about!

And for those thinking that since they dont race their car, or they are not pushing that much power, they are ok, nothing could be further than the truth!

I dataloged my car last year with an aftermarket H/E without fans. It was night time, around 75* and even after some WOT runs, IAT2 was around 118-120* Not bad i thought, until after i shut the car down for about 5 minutes, and started it back up, IAT2 was 165*!!!! It took a couple of hwy miles at speeds of 65mph to go back down to around 125-130* but by then i exited the hwy and waiting at the traffic light, IAT2 was climbing like seconds on a time watch!! It went up to 150* before i took off again!

I have not dataloged with Van's H/E because 1. Van did it a gazzilion times, 2. the diference on my car was so noticable after his H/E and 3. The few times at the track, was all the proof i needed!

Below are the time slips of the times Van mentioned on his post. After a 30 mile cruise, i made 3 passes within 45 minutes (check the time on the slips), without cool down, the sun beating on my car, and without opening my hood. All mph 130.17, 130.15, 130.17, and times were dead on, exept the ET witch was a result of my driving. Best ET of 11.05 was on the last run.
Bradentontimeslips.jpg

Below are the slips from last week at Atco, with 90* weather. First run of 10.83 was in the morning, and the 2mph was due to wheel spin. The other 2 runs were in the afternoon, hotlaping the car (check the time on the slips)
Atcorentaltimeslips.jpg

And by the way, i have both Van's H/E and radiator :rockon::rockon:

I beg to differ Kostas, your driving is damn good considering the amount of seat time you have had. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting the time slips. Thank you for being a loyal customer too!! I really appreciate it.

Perfect write-up on Heat Soak and how important it is to do whatever you can to help it. Important part you really hit on is the daily driving example. I tell people all the time if you sit in traffic or let the car sit for a while when you get back in and before you floor it make sure you drive it for a little bit and not in traffic. Get things moving again and to help cool the car down then you have a chance of seeing full power.

I'm learning as I go here about your product because in the 03/04 Market this just isn't an option.

Sent you a pm also.

PM Replied.

Thanks posi!!

SpectorV

Established Member
If you park your car and turn it off I assume there is no benefit even if you leave the fans on as the fluid is not moving? I guess some jump their pump/fans to get some flow right?

Van@RevanRacing

If you park your car and turn it off I assume there is no benefit even if you leave the fans on as the fluid is not moving? I guess some jump their pump/fans to get some flow right?

I wire the fans to work with the water pump. There are some who have wired the intercooler pump and fans to run independent of the ignition system so they can move the fluid and pull the heat out with the fans running while the car is parked.

This is only beneficial for drag racing. If it is a daily driver or going out for a cruise it is not necessary. The temperatures drop very quickly with the fans on when the engine is runnning. As soon as you start it up it starts pulling out the heat.

camdenlake

Established Member
So distilled water is what works best? Just so happens i bought about 5gals by mistake the other day :). Send me shopping.... Should anything be added to it? Or just the water? My baby stays in a heated garage through the evil winter so no worries there.

Josh

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I never did any logging with the before and after install. However, I can truly say after 2 hours of playing hardball she was just as strong as the
1st start up!

I give 2 thumbs up for both pieces. :beer: It's a small investment keeping
the heads cool with that radiator IMO

zex-srt10

Established Member
Nice write up Van, i love reading posts like these. I cant wait to test out your products someday. Someday soon i hope.

andymarkv

Established Member
If you already have an aftermarket heat exchanger and are interested in upgrading, I'm looking for a used heat exchanger.

I will have one of Van's dual fan units!! Unfortunately just not this summer....

Van@RevanRacing

So distilled water is what works best? Just so happens i bought about 5gals by mistake the other day :). Send me shopping.... Should anything be added to it? Or just the water? My baby stays in a heated garage through the evil winter so no worries there.

Josh

for the summer I would run 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze with half a bottle of water wetter in each system. Just based on where you are located and your use. Even with anti-freeze completely in both systems you cannot go wrong. For the sake of discussion I would change to 100% anti-freeze for the winter. If the power goes out and it's freezing you don't want water in the cooling systems. Flush for the winter and be on the safe side.

I never did any logging with the before and after install. However, I can truly say after 2 hours of playing hardball she was just as strong as the
1st start up!

I give 2 thumbs up for both pieces. :beer: It's a small investment keeping
the heads cool with that radiator IMO

:rockon:

Good post.:beer:

Thanks SID.

Nice write up Van, i love reading posts like these. I cant wait to test out your products someday. Someday soon i hope.

Hopefully sooner rather than later!!

If you already have an aftermarket heat exchanger and are interested in upgrading, I'm looking for a used heat exchanger.

I will have one of Van's dual fan units!! Unfortunately just not this summer....

I'll be here when the time is right for you. Thanks.

jimh

Established Member
...This is even faster when distilled water is utilized versus anti-freeze which is designe to retain heat, thus the reason why it is called 'Anti-Freeze', it holds heat....

That's why I use coolant instead of antifreeze. poke--> poke-->
Joking, I'm just poking the big dog.

I'm in South Florida and I drive my car in the morning and park it. When I go out in the afternoon the temp gauge still shows just below normal running temp when I start it back up. Heat soak is very noticable when you get back in your car down here. Even just normal driving. I'll be doing a pulley and tune this summer, but not before one of Van's heat exchangers goes in. Even as a stock daily driver I can feel it. In the heat of the summer if you get on it on the highway you'll feel it fall on its face twords the top of third. That's Florida heat and humidity. Feels like someone threw out the anchor! :)

Great write up. I think too many people under estimate summer weather and it's effects on power.

Van@RevanRacing

That's why I use coolant instead of antifreeze. poke--> poke-->
Joking, I'm just poking the big dog.

I'm in South Florida and I drive my car in the morning and park it. When I go out in the afternoon the temp gauge still shows just below normal running temp when I start it back up. Heat soak is very noticable when you get back in your car down here. Even just normal driving. I'll be doing a pulley and tune this summer, but not before one of Van's heat exchangers goes in. Even as a stock daily driver I can feel it. In the heat of the summer if you get on it on the highway you'll feel it fall on its face twords the top of third. That's Florida heat and humidity. Feels like someone threw out the anchor! :)

Great write up. I think too many people under estimate summer weather and it's effects on power.

Thanks jimh. Let me know when you are ready!

Van

Users who are viewing this thread