MAFXtender Install Made Simple (Pic Included)

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Hey guys...

I read the instructions and installed my MAFXtender at 10pm at night, and I wish I had a pic to help clear things up... So I took one for future reference.

It was a VERY easy install, and extremely straight forward. I broke it down into several steps so your wives can install it if you want. I didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence on here, but some guys really do need a "cookbook" in order to tackle an install themselves (including myself at times).

Process:

Step 1:
Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal (8 mm).
Step 2:
Remove Passenger Side Kick Panel (all push-pull fasteners).
Step 3:
Remove all the harnesses mounted to the black bracket; they are blocking the PCM harness. (all push-pull straps).
Step 4:
Remove the ground (green bolt) right behind those loosened harnesses (9mm I believe).
Step 5:
Remove the two bolts holding the black bracket (in front of the PCM) to the car (8mm I believe).
Step 6:
Remove the bolt that holds the PCM harness into the PCM (10mm), and remove the black plastic "shroud" retaining all the wires.
Step 7:
Locate the wire (light blue with red stripe) in pin 88. the end pins on each row are numbered, so 88 is easy to find (and pictured below) and cut it far enough away from the harness that you will have room to work with a soldering iron (you may have to carefully cut the tape holding the wires together in order to get some additional slack in the wire. It is always a good idea to throw a fire-retardant rag or piece of wood between the wire you are soldering and the rest of the wires (you don’t want to be melting wires together!!!).
Step 8:
Use a wire stripping tool to remove 1/4" of insulation off each side of the MAF signal wire (light blue w/ red stripe) and each of the wires on the MAFXtender Harness. The PCM harness contains very finely braided copper, and the MAFXtender harness looks to be fine tinned copper, and you can't afford to cut any by accident.
Step 9:
Slide heat shrink up the MAF signal wire on the side going out through the firewall. Solder the Grey MAFxtender wire to this cut end, and cover it up with the heat shrink.
Step 10:
Slide heat shrink up the white wire on the MAFXtender harness and solder it to the MAF signal wire that leads to the PCM. Cover with the heat shrink.
Step 11:
Locate the RED 12V source located in pin# 71. You may have to massage the wires a bit to get some play in it and follow it up the bundle. If you use the piggyback splicing clip that Zone 5 provides, you can now splice the red wire on the MAFXtender harness to it. If you decide to solder it (my preference) cut it and prep it with the stripping tool as you did with the MAF signal wire. (You have to cut it straight through if you are soldering so that you can use heat shrink... do not try to solder without cutting the red wire, you will not be able to use heat shrink (electrical tape is bad mmmkay).
Step 12:
Locate the Black w/white strip Ground (Pin #3, 51, or 77 - 77 seemed easiest to me) and repeat step 11, but this time using the black wire on the MAFXtender harness.
Step 13:
Re-install the PCM Harness (and black shroud), Black Bracket, Ground, Misc. Harnesses, and Kick Panel. Make sure to keep the MAFXtender harness extended out from the kick panel for accessibility.
Step 14:
Plug in the bypass until you are sure your settings are correct and you have properly tuned for the Altered MAF constraints.

MAFXtender.JPG

If you want any additional Info or Pictures Just ask.

Search words:
MAFXtender Installation Install How-To MAF MAFIA SCT BA2400 BA2800 Instructions Picture

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread