Accelerator Pedal HORROR STORY

cgg074

Established Member
Today I was racing my buddy's 03 Cobra and the RPM's on my Cobra got stuck on the redline (fuel cutoff). I couldn't do a thing other than turn off the engine and drive it to the shoulder lane. I was very scared to drive my car with no brake and no power steering at that speed.

Then I started the engine again and everything was normal.

We raced again and the RPM's got stuck AGAIN in the fuel cutoff. Turned off the engine and when I turned it on again the RPM's just went up to the redline. I shut off the engine.

I took a look at the accelerator pedal and it has a bolt on the back side that was STUCK in the carpet.

I started the engine again and drove very carefully to my house; went for some scissors and cut the carpet around the pedal.

Then drove my baby again and it was great.

Has this happened to anyone??

Could the fuel cutoff damage the engine in some way?? I hope NOT.
I know the fuel cutoff is there to prevent engine damage, but you never know.
Everything seems fine to me. No weird engine noise so far.

I take good care of my car, specially the engine.

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
Sorry that happend to you glad your ok. Many people had to cut the carpet around the gas b/c that was happing to them as well.

cgg074

Established Member
Any engine problems afterwards??

I was so scared to had my engine at fuel cutoff for 4-5 seconds.

And yes, thank God I'm ok. My friend was behind me in case another car came close.

Last edited:

Rio

been there...scared the $hit out of me the first time....happened once again and I immediately knew what it was.....cut the carpet after that....

has happened to a lot of us, and it is very scary....cut the carpet and no more worries...

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Never happened to me, but i have noticed that the rug under my gas pedal is pretty worn, so yes it is smashing the rug but has not gotten caught yet

BoneCrusher

Established Member
That's happened to a lot of guys and it does seem to happen with the 04's mostly. I've never had it happen to me thank goodness cause that has got to be scary. Glad you and the car are OK, get under there and cut your carpet out.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I wish someone would post pictures of where you cut at .. I have heard about this and I have an 04 .. like others have said .. I hear more 04's saying this ..

Crowley

cgg074

Established Member
BoneCrusher said:
That's happened to a lot of guys and it does seem to happen with the 04's mostly. I've never had it happen to me thank goodness cause that has got to be scary. Glad you and the car are OK, get under there and cut your carpet out.

Thanks!

I did cut the carpet. First thing I did when I got home.

It's great now.

cgg074

Established Member
Crowley said:
I wish someone would post pictures of where you cut at .. I have heard about this and I have an 04 .. like others have said .. I hear more 04's saying this ..

Crowley

It's just behind the pedal. If you push the pedal to the bottom, you will see that it touches the carpet. There's a "U" shape factory cut. You just have to make that "U" shape bigger.

autoxstang

Coyote Lover
Established Member
Glad to hear your ok and the same thing happened to mine. Just make sure to cut enough carpet and be on the lookout for your FRPS. Mine blew about 2 weeks after hitting the rev limiter hard in mine. So be aware.

GotGrunt

Established Member
autoxstang said:
be on the lookout for your FRPS. Mine blew about 2 weeks after hitting the rev limiter hard in mine. So be aware.
Fuel in the oil = no good. They are prone to rupture the diaphragm when hitting the limiter. I would imagine if it blew though that the car would have terrible starting/driveability problems.

Last edited:

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
What the hell is FRPS?? And I thought the limiter pulls spark untill it goes even higher then it pulls the fuel. Is hitting the limiter that bad?? I hit it all the time-burnouts and power shifting usually hits it also. My dad always says they put it there for a reason.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
And be happy you didn't hit anything-when I was in high school, my senior year(last year) A kid just got his late 60's (I think) chevy pickup cherried out and as he was leaving the parking lot he did a small burnout and the pedal stuck to the floor. He ran into the back of a line of cars at a stop sign and created a domino effect.

GotGrunt

Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
What the hell is FRPS?? And I thought the limiter pulls spark untill it goes even higher then it pulls the fuel. Is hitting the limiter that bad?? I hit it all the time-burnouts and power shifting usually hits it also. My dad always says they put it there for a reason.
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. Usually blows when hitting the limiter. When it goes bad, it sucks fuel thru the vacuum line going into the sensor into the oil. No good...

cgg074

Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
Where is this at and how do you check it?

Yes, I wan to know too. If it's not expensive, I will replace it before it breaks. Does anyone has a part number for it? Is there a how-to replace it?

What are the symptoms of a bad Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor?? How can I check to see if it's broken?

My car runs great and has nothing weird on it.

Users who are viewing this thread