My experience with 10.5 AFS rims, 315 BFG's and spacers...

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Today I installed a set of AFS 10.5 x 17 rims, 315-35-17 BFG g-force KD tires and LFP 3/8" spacers with ET lug nuts. I ground down the IRS bolt. With this combination the tires and wheels fit great with no rubbing anywhere. The car is lowered maybe 1/4" in the rear with MM coilovers. The tire sits out about as far as the stock front tires do, (about 1/8" inside the lip) so its a good match. These tires are huge! Almost too wide for the rim.

Some things I found out:
1- There is no way this combination will fit without spacers. Even with the with the IRS bolt cut down, at full extension (wheels extended down as far as possible) the bolt hits the tire hard. With the cars weight on the wheels it clears OK but it WILL cut the tire at full extension.
2- 1/8" spacer will not clear either. I put the wheel on with some large diameter 1/8" washers and the bolt still hits the tire at full extension.
3- 1/4" spacers will clear the tire, no rubbing any time. About 1/8" clearance between the IRS bolt and tire at full extension.
4- 3/8" LFP spacers, no clearance problems at all. 1/4" clearance between IRS bolt and tire.

I may try some 1/4" spacers to pull the tires in a bit. Overall I'm very pleased! :-D

I'd post some pics but I don't know how. :shrug:

Snake40

Established Member
MikeC said:
Today I installed a set of AFS 10.5 x 17 rims, 315-35-17 BFG g-force KD tires and LFP 3/8" spacers with ET lug nuts. I ground down the IRS bolt. With this combination the tires and wheels fit great with no rubbing anywhere. The car is lowered maybe 1/4" in the rear with MM coilovers. The tire sits out about as far as the stock front tires do, (about 1/8" inside the lip) so its a good match. These tires are huge! Almost too wide for the rim.

Some things I found out:
1- There is no way this combination will fit without spacers. Even with the with the IRS bolt cut down, at full extension (wheels extended down as far as possible) the bolt hits the tire hard. With the cars weight on the wheels it clears OK but it WILL cut the tire at full extension.
2- 1/8" spacer will not clear either. I put the wheel on with some large diameter 1/8" washers and the bolt still hits the tire at full extension.
3- 1/4" spacers will clear the tire, no rubbing any time. About 1/8" clearance between the IRS bolt and tire at full extension.
4- 3/8" LFP spacers, no clearance problems at all. 1/4" clearance between IRS bolt and tire.

I may try some 1/4" spacers to pull the tires in a bit. Overall I'm very pleased! :-D

I'd post some pics but I don't know how. :shrug:

Thanks for the post, now get the pics!!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Sorry man I didn't get them until today....they got lost in the eleventy million emails I get from the thread's I'm subscribed to on here!!!!!! I posted the pics in the Pics and Vid section...I'll put them on here also...

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
withspacer.jpg

tires.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear.jpg

front.jpg

Hye

Established Member
r1 and a cobra, nice combo ;-) your tire setup looks very clean!

JoeLee

***Degenerate***
Established Member
Sorry to bring Old threads from the dead,,, However,,,
I am getting my AfS 18x10.5 with 335 30 18 KDW2'S on friday and a 3/8 spacer, will post pics, but don't wanna have a potential problem with the spacer, anyone have any issues with running spacers?

Vae_Victus

Established Member
I am getting my AfS 18x10.5 with 335 30 18 KDW2'S on friday and a 3/8 spacer, will post pics, but don't wanna have a potential problem with the spacer, anyone have any issues with running spacers?

From my research I found that so long as you install the 3/8 spacer u will clear without issues. HOWEVER u will have to roll your fenders. Some ppl get away without but those are rare cases. I am actually getting that exact same setup as you so please let me know what happens once u get urs installed. I am waiting for better weather up here so I'm patiently waiting for get my new setup done. Good luck man.

JoeLee

***Degenerate***
Established Member
I just had the fenders rolled last weekend, I'm waiting now for the tires to arrive today and roll up there and slap on on, will post pics when it's done...
Thanks man...

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member

I have the same wheels 18X10.5 and run 315/30/18 tires without issue. I would step down a size on the tire and eliminate the spacer..

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
Hmmm I just ordered a set of rear 17 x 10.5 wheels and Nitto 555 315's and I too have mixed opinions on weather I should go with a 1/4" wheel spacer or new MM IRS bolts.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
No Spacers needed

You won't need spacers with the AFS 17x10.5's and 315x35x17 Nitto 555's. I would install the M.M. Sub-frame Bolts , [$10]. I have the same size Nitto 05's and they run bigger than the 555's. Enjoy..

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
You won't need spacers with the AFS 17x10.5's and 315x35x17 Nitto 555's. I would install the M.M. Sub-frame Bolts , [$10]. I have the same size Nitto 05's and they run bigger than the 555's. Enjoy..
+1.

The Nitto NT555R run very narrow for their size, IMO the 315/35/17 is not a true 315. I would even dare to say you should be fine just bolting up the 10.5" replicas with the Nittos and forgetting about any spacers or IRS button head bolts. But at only $10 for the bolts, why not?

Post up some pics once you get them on the car. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread