Attn: Know-it-all-guys... Question about Ethanol...

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Okay, Ethanol has now invaded my favorite gas station. I've read threads and done a little research and haven't come up with any definitive answers on this subject. Is Ethanol bad or good? I am just wondering if I should start running an octane booster when I fill up now or if the 93 Octane Ethanol fuel is okay for my 600 RWHP Street Tune. I will still run 103 VP for the race side. I know the fuel isn't 100% Ethanol, but I just want to make sure there is still enough octane in it to do it's job.

Larry, Fade, Ronnie, etc..... Hit me with the knowledge fellas....

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
This sums it up for me:

What is the range of a flexible fuel ethanol vehicle?
Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline. However, E85 also has a much higher octane (ranging from 100 to 105) than gasoline. FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 5% to 15% drop in fuel economy. This will vary based on temperature and driving conditions. For comparison purposes, aggressive driving habits can result in a 20% loss and low tire pressure can reduce mileage by 6%.

It's a catch 22, more octane but less usable energy = not worth it really to me.

Last edited:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
The engine seems to run fine on it. I am just concerned with long term damage from using it if it's not good stuff.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Even though I'm not a "Know-it-all" guy I thought I would chime in.

One thing that you do need to remember is that Ethanol acts as a 'scrubber'. Your fuel filter will be more apt to clogging so more often changes should be performed. You probably don't have much of a choice as to whether you can find fuels that contain ethanol or not. Here in Ct our "Summer" Fuel blends generally contain it.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Ooh, ok. Oops.

Anyhoo Ethanol adds octane 2-3 points for the E10 so you should be good to go. Just google E10 or E85 for hours of reading.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Here in Ct our "Summer" Fuel blends generally contain it.
Not to be a knowitall but your "winter" blend also contains it.
Ethanol is replacing the MTBE that is in gasolines. Your milage may go down but it is perfectly safe to run in any car. Chris is right on the filter thing, Ethanol and water dont mix well at all so it is very good idea to start changing the filter at the very least every other oil change. Condonsation in your tank will turn your filter into a brick on the inside. The filters in the pumps at the gas station now have to be changed almost 3 times more often because of this. Octane booster is only nessary for the older cars, and the newer FI cars should be just fine.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I just got done reading on some website that Ethanol has also had a problem with deteriorating some fuel system components like hoses and injector seals.... Any info on that?

203Cree

Established Member
E85 will do that, it's very corrosive. The FFV run metal lines and special injectors to avoid this. That is one of the main reason we can't run it, it will eat all the rubber and most of the plastic in our system. E10 tho, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread