VA Speeding Crackdown

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Just saw on the news that VA will be cracking down hard on speeding this weekend. It's called "Operation Land Air and Speed" Keep it slow folks, Big brother will be watching from the sky

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
Virginia must have another large road project coming up. Need to raise some funds.

They stated it is in response to all the recent deaths that occurred along 95 and the Beltway

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Derek@Amazon said:

Damn, thats BS. $1000 fine for 20 over because 2 points and $150 fee isn't enough. Thats like the average speed of a beltway driver.

$300 fine for playing an R rated movie in a car, or stopping in front of your mailbox to get the mail? Wow, remind me never to drive in that state again.

With crap laws like this out there to raise funds, its becoming less and less fun to drive anywhere. Thank God my commute to work consists of 20 minutes on small backroads and only 3 minutes on any sort of highway.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Relax, my fellow Marylanders. There is good news for us:

Drivers from out of state will not be penalized by the civil system of fees because “the state can not go beyond its borders to collect the (civil) fees,” said Moore. “These fees are for Virginia residents and those with a permit listing a Virginia address.”
As for you Virginia residents......slow down. Or move north!!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yea, no yearly inspections or auto property taxes in MD. :D
I also heard on the news the crackdowns will be on I-95, I-81 and I-77. I'll have my fun on backroads, thank you very much.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
gcassidy said:
Yea, no yearly inspections or auto property taxes in MD. :D
I also heard on the news the crackdowns will be on I-95, I-81 and I-77. I'll have my fun on backroads, thank you very much.
No yearly inspections... what:mj: how often do you need to get checked??? Pa sucks:(

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Tidoh said:
Relax, my fellow Marylanders. There is good news for us:

As for you Virginia residents......slow down. Or move north!!

Well then. Thats good to hear. Sorry for the people that live in VA. I bought my car from a guy in VA and it took me forever to reach all the way down to the bottom of the windshield and scrape off the damn registration sticker.

Of course now, the DoD made me put a stupid base sticker on my windshield... Damn auto regulations.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
What a crock of shit. Good thing the All Members isn't THIS SATURDAY!!

I actually got let off yesterday for a 60 in a 50 on the parkway yesterday - he just pulled up next to me and waved his hand to slow down - very nice of him, must've liked the car. :)

Thanks for the info though, I'll keep it extra slow this weekend.

Last edited:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
sunburned said:
Damn, thats BS. $1000 fine for 20 over because 2 points and $150 fee isn't enough. Thats like the average speed of a beltway driver.

$300 fine for playing an R rated movie in a car, or stopping in front of your mailbox to get the mail? Wow, remind me never to drive in that state again.

With crap laws like this out there to raise funds, its becoming less and less fun to drive anywhere. Thank God my commute to work consists of 20 minutes on small backroads and only 3 minutes on any sort of highway.

I just finished reading that and I'm pretty pissed. This state is absolutley pathetic. Can't wait to get down South next summer permanently. Better laws and cheaper living!

Mike I'm eager to hear your thoughts though - with so many little BS things they can get you for one can only assume they're going to try to get to a whole new level of quotas?

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Here's the deal. Since I am a COP in VA.

If you don't break the traffic laws, you don't have to pay the fines. There's a couple reasons why they are doing this.

#1 is from all the deaths
#2 is because they need to pay for the roads to be fixed.

These fines are only for wreckless driving tickets. I know we all speed...I speed. But, I'm sure none of you have worked a wreck, where a person was killed due to speeding or DWI....IT SUCKS

We will still not have a quota on the county level. The state still does, and always will. The only thing I will say is that I wish the fine would have stayed the same on the DWI, but I wish it was more manditory jail.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Virginia's been tough on speeding for awhile now.......

Do points earned in Virginia transfer to your Maryland record???

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
The Tri-State area is involved in most of the countries interstate compact. Basically, that means that if you get a ticket say in VA, and you live in MD...if you don't pay that VA ticket. Not only will you be suspended in VA but you will also be suspended in MD. It takes time but it will happen. Its called the Reciprocal agreement.

I've heard some people say that they didn't recieve points from a ticket in Va when they live in MD. But, from what I've heard in the courts they do. Maybe someone from MD that has recieved a ticket in VA can chime in.

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
hey guys also dont forget the part about DUI fines. it is an automatic 2250 to the dmv on top of all other court fines. not cool.. not saying that anyone on here drinks and drives but be safe. also, these fines only apply to those people who have va license. out of state license can not be fined a civil fee. just thought i would let you know.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I got a speeding several years ago for doing 90 in a 65 and the officer said the ticket is "x" and 2 points. He knocked the speed down for me since I was very cooperative and polite. I paid the fine and mine points did transfer from VA to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread