Help! What color dash paint?

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Hey guys i just logged on to 50 resto today and it has a few questions i have to fill in correctly in order to aquire the factory matched dash paint. Notice I am painting the autometer pieces..

79-04 INTERIOR PAINT, MUSTANG ALL

Vinyl or lacquer paint?
01-04 dark charcoal?

Also, im guessing i need this too? Vinyl/Prep cleaner?

79-04 VINYL PREP/CLEANER ALL

Thank you for taking the time to help guys! :bye:

cobraclone

Established Member
Well, I used the lacquer based dark charcoal and ended up like the pic below. I tried it again on the door switch panel and got the same result. I may have to try a custom color cause no one else can match it.
dash1

SkipBuxton

Established Member
It is nice to know that someone else got taken on their "OEM paint" cause it is not even close to a match as you can see in cobraclone's pic.

I have a torch red car and decided to paint it red over the crappy 5.0 resto paint. I am happy with the red.............

Homebrew

Established Member
Thats exactly what happened with my dark charcoal from 50resto. Maybe it's just the flash or something in your pics, but mine is quite that light, but not as dark as it should be either. At any rate, mine sticks out just as bad. Other people claim the stuff they got from 50resto was perfect. I don't know if it's a quality control issue or if some people have different standards. In any case, what you got is nowhere near close. Depending on which pictures you look at of mine, it appears different shades, but this pic is the closest to what it actually looks like in person. In person it's just a bit lighter.

-Kevin

IMG_1329r.jpg

Last edited:

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
I just ordered mine about 9 hours ago. I spent $33 bucks on the paint and primer. Im calling tomorrow morning to cancel. No way im paying the premium price and going to have it look like that! I had a gentlemen telling me he used bumper paint from dupli-color "dark charcoal" and it came out extremely close. And it's only $5.99.. He also said it's been on there for a little over a year with no signs of fading. :D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BLK03SVT10TH said:
Midnight Black Interior Spray Laquer Part #M4JZ-19M547-1074H

PaintCan.jpg
You beat me to it. LOL!

You can get this from your friendly Ford dealer.

Homebrew

Established Member
image said:
How much will the stealership charge me?!?! :(

It varies. I think on average it's $10-$14. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how much it would be through Steve at Tousley Ford, but that would probably be your best bet. I'm thinking of trying 3 different ford colors that have been recommended. One of them should be close enough.

-Kevin

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
Midnight Black Interior Spray Laquer Part #M4JZ-19M547-1074H

PaintCan.jpg

is this for '03 or '04 cobra interiors? i used some paint for a steering column pod that my buddy had used on this '04 that matched for him, but did not match mine.

thanks.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
image said:
WTH? I need to paint my steering wheel pod and gauge pod!! I need matching paint. :(

This is a picture of that paint on an Autometer Pillar Pod in my 2003 Cobra which I have now sold. I don't think you could get a closer match.

FordPaint.jpg

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
When I called Steve @ Tousley, he told me he didn't think he could ship the paint as it is a chemical. I decided to go to a local Unikote dealer and have them make me a spray bomb in Mineral Grey. Did both door pulls and my dual guage dash bezel and couldn't be happier. They will match the factory interior paint as well, I just wanted to break up the monotony a lil bit......

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
S.V.T. said:
^pics please, fellow mineral owner!

I'll try and get some up later tonight. I HIGHLY recommend the MG for the door pulls and guage pod. It's subtle but noticeable. :beer:

Sorry for the thread jack, back on topic.......

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
Rick James said:
I'll try and get some up later tonight. I HIGHLY recommend the MG for the door pulls and guage pod. It's subtle but noticeable. :beer:

Sorry for the thread jack, back on topic.......

i MUST see this :rockon:
waiting patiently..

Users who are viewing this thread