swap 94-00 center dash for 01-04 center?

01SVT2894

Established Member
i'm talking about the area with the AC controls and the radio.

has anyone here with a 94-00 ever swapped out the cassestte and CD player for say the 01 + 6 Disk CD changer or MP3 player?

i'm looking for swap tips and pictures. :rockon:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Talk to Josh (CY98Cobra). He has done it.

Ron (sLOWDOCH) would also be very helpful to talk to as well.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
CY98Cobra did it, do a search, he covered it pretty well.

EDIT: Like Tabres said.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Do a search for "Radio swap done" or something like that. I doubt the pics will come up so if you need them pm me and I can send them to you.

Edit: I also have a spare 01+ 6 disc changer that is brand new. If you decide to do the swap and want the radio pm me. I'll sell it cheap.

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Here's how I attached the radio. This is the top. Two metal clips bent to wrap around the edge and screwed into the plastic bezel.
radio10yt.jpg

This is the bottom bolted to the bezel
radio30xk.jpg

You must remove the two plastic pieces that the stock94-00 bezel bolts to. The location is highlighted in this pic (though they have already been removed). You DO NOT need to remove the top like I did. Removing these pieces doesn't affect the stability of the stock 94-00 bezel if you ever want to swap back. It also shows both harnesses wired to gether and connected to the stock radio wiring harness.
radioduringshow9ob.jpg

Here's the finished product.
consolemount1jv.jpg

keebs888

Predictably unpredictable
Established Member
I just did this swap last weekend. Now I'm trying to find something to fill the trac control and other button holes at the bottom. Looks TACKY with them empty.

-keith

01SVT2894

Established Member
keebs888 said:
I just did this swap last weekend. Now I'm trying to find something to fill the trac control and other button holes at the bottom. Looks TACKY with them empty.

-keith
did you screw the radio to the bezel like the pics above, or did you secure the radio another way?

why don't you just get a cap for the empty hole. you know, not all 01+ Mustangs came with fog lights or traction control. call up to your local dealer and get one of those caps. :beer:

keebs888

Established Member
Actually I used an aftermarket Head unit installation kit from Crutchfield and fabbed some brackets. I just used the 04 bezel and a Pioneer CD Player.

-keith

Last edited:

01SVT2894

Established Member
keebs888 said:
Actually I used an aftermarket Head unit installation kit from Crutchfield and fabbed some brackets. I just used the 04 bezel and a Pioneer CD Player.

-keith
Keith, if you don't mind, perhaps you could PM me a couple pics of your work. :beer:

matt888

Established Member
Do any of the 99+ center consoles actually match the 94-98 interiors (the entire console with the compartment between the seats). As funny as it sounds, black one year can be different then black another year...

01SVT2894

Established Member
matt888 said:
Do any of the 99+ center consoles actually match the 94-98 interiors (the entire console with the compartment between the seats). As funny as it sounds, black one year can be different then black another year...
94-98 = black
99-04 = dark charcoal

keebs888

Established Member

Here's my center console.....not finished yet; need some plugs for the missing trac control and other buttons and a little more paint work.

-keith

01SVT2894

Established Member
keebs888 said:

Here's my center console.....not finished yet; need some plugs for the missing trac control and other buttons and a little more paint work.

-keith
that looks pretty sharp. you know, you could move your fog light switch there, put a cap on the current location and at least have one functional button and 2 caps. :beer:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Yep. I bought a factory fog light switch for an 01 and then covered up the other two holes with the Cobra plaque. I'm going to wire my foglights through the 01 switch whenever I decide to figure out which wire needs to go where.

Keebs888: Why would you go through the trouble of switching to the double din bezel if you're not going to use a double din stereo? Just curious.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Would be a nice spot for some nitrous switches if anyone had thought about that :shrug: Or maybe a line-loc...

matt888

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
The consoles don't match. I swapped to the 01+ console and painted it black.

What did you use and how did it turn out? Good match? Pics? I think the 01+ consoles just look more finished off. But, I don't want to lose that little secret compartment that we have where they put the cup holders now in front of the fog light button!

Users who are viewing this thread