Finished up my Fiberglass convertible sub box.. pics inside!

LDC2335

Established Member
Figured id post this up, one because im a little proud of it and two to give others that dont want to lose their whole trunk an idea for installing a sub.

Amp is a Kenwood 500/1 and sub in pics is a kenwood exelon 10", current sub is a Alpine type-R. Cap is a Fosgate 1 farad, i know it says alpine, i put that on to match one of my older systems, probably going to make a cobra decal or something for it.

Went more in a budget with this install, normally i would do JL etc, but since i requested these for xmas presents i wanted to keep it cheaper. However these items are still CEA 2006 cetified to make the advertised power 500 rms @ 2ohms.

took about an entire week to accomplish since fiberglass takes forever to dry when its freezing outside i used fiberglass cloth/resin for the back/sides and 3/4 mdf for the front.

for the amp mount, i used mdf covered in carpet. i still have some wire hiding to do, and will probably re-carpet the bottom of the trunk since its starting to show its age.

results: nice.... this combo hits very hard for a single 10" and is even more than i needed/anticipated. i really just wanted a little low, since the accoustics in a vert are horrible and though all speakers have been upgraded, it wasnt enough. This has great sound quality and is quite a beast when cranked up.

P1040565.jpg

P1040564.jpg

P1040560.jpg

Last edited:

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Looks really good. I want to put some components in my doors and rear and see how they sound. If not enough bass I want to put a ported 10 in my vert. How does the sub sound with the top up and down?

LDC2335

Established Member
I have fosgate 3 way componets in the doors and 3 way 6.5" in the rear panels and the bass was lacking, so this was my fix. With the top up, it sounds great, I havnt tried top down, its been cold, maybe tommorow.

4b6f6873-95dc-214b.jpg

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Do you have the radio powering your components or a seperate amp? How clear are they as far as highs? I usually go pioneer with my head units and speakers and fosgates for subs.

LDC2335

Established Member
i know i should probably power the inside speakers with an amp, and that could be the reason they lacked a little bass, but i didnt want to buy and run a 4 channel amp and still be unhappy with it and then have to get the sub and amp still.

im using my pioneer 7100bt deck to power them, which sounds better than running them off the mach, which is almost impossible with the components due to the separate high/low frq amps.

and now that i can set the feq cut off higher on the speakers(because sub handles low end now) they can go louder and clearer than before. it gets plenty loud and stays nice and clear.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Cool, the last time I built up an audio system was maybe 2007. It will be exciting to see whats out there now. I plan on putting in a 7inch pioneer headunit so ill have to buy an 01+ console I guess. Ill prob do your route and get components but add a sub and let it do all the work. I think ill do the dynomat on the doors also to avoid rattle.

97cobratiny

97cobraTiny
Established Member
Looks good, clean install, here's a little something I did in my vert. Didn't need a back seat so.....

CobraCustomSubBox.jpg

And sorry if I hijacked

LDC2335

Established Member
Well it did bump, for about three days, now it gets put back in the box and shipped back. Guess I got a dud. Pretty sure sub is blown, and ive been playing nice trying to break it in. fml

LDC2335

Established Member
Looks good, clean install, here's a little something I did in my vert. Didn't need a back seat so.....

And sorry if I hijacked

Looks good man, I do use my bank seat quit a bit, but great idea if you dont, bet it sounds good.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
that looks really nice. for the longest time ive wanted to do a rear seat delete and have my two 10's inverted in the cab kind of like they are in my trunk. then i would do some kind of plexiglass window on the back of the box to show off the amp through the trunk. maybe ill try it this summer.

Last edited:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Are you able to tuck in that excess carpeting on the top of the sub to make it look better? Are you still able to use your spare tire?

LDC2335

Established Member
Are you able to tuck in that excess carpeting on the top of the sub to make it look better? Are you still able to use your spare tire?

Spare tire is still removable, carpet is stiff/molded and wont budge

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Im putting together everything I want for my vert and im down to the subwoofer selection. In the past for other vehicles I have used 15" and 12" but I havent used a 10" yet. Im sure its not close but Im wondering will a 10 still put out deep bass like the larger sizes? I dont need it to feel like im in an earthquake but I still want to feel and hear it, especially with the top down.

Anybody put a 12" in their vert? Whatever I choose it will be a single like the op. Im mainly looking at the 10's because of the limited space.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine looks very similar to the op's except I used wood. looks oem; just what I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread