Toyo Proxes R888: best rear tire I've ever used(STUCK!)

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I just wanted to share with everyone my very positive experience with the new Toyo Proxes R888 tires. I recently installed 18" Saleen wheels and decided to try a new type of rear tire in the process. I used to run 315/35/17 Nitto DR's in my daily driven Cobra and was happy with them with the exception of 1) they were rather narrow for 315's (I like the look of wide rear tires) and 2) as a drag radial, they come with a compromise in cornering capability. I at one time tried the Nitto NT-01's (also 317/35/17), which were significantly wider and had the same rubber compound as the DR's, but on the first wet day of driving they almost put me in the wall on an off ramp. Way too questionable in wet weather for daily driving IMO. When buying the 18" Saleens I did some shopping and decided on the Toyo Proxes R888 for the rear because of 1) their moderate treadwear rating...same as Nitto DR's 2) their water shedding tread pattern...also like the Nitto DR 3) significant tread depth...more that the Nitto DR and 4) their handling/cornering capability. My hope was to replace the Nitto DR's with a tire that could also handle as well as the NT-01's, be driven (at least cautiously) in wet weather driving, while hooking in a stoplight battle. I've been on the R888's for a couple weeks now and I am VERY impressed with their performance. They hook WAY BETTER than the Nitto DR ever did (keep in mind I have only driven the R888's in cold weather also), they corner as good or better than the Nitto NT-01 AND they have so far been able to keep traction in wet weather where the NT-01's would have likely caused an accident. IMO this is one of the best daily driver capable rear tires for a high hp/tq street car. You get the traction of a DR while not compromising anything in cornering capability. Of all the rear tires I have tried, this one is hands down the best for daily driving in my Cobra and come highly recommended.

Tmac01baller

Established Member
Thanks a lot for you review on these tires. I have been looking for a good daily driver tire to support me when I upgrade to a whipple and these seem to be that tire. Only question I have is do you think they would support 600rwhp? Oh, and you should post this in the Terminator talk section because a lot of people have been asking this same question and it would get more views.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Thanks for posting this. I am buying tires this week and was looking for some reviews!

vadorsnake04

Established Member
i had them in 335 on my 18x11 true forged rims, probably the best tire i have ever owned, i could hook with these tires and 700+ rwhp no problem i loved them.
Here is a pic:
IMG_0339.jpg

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Nice pic and sweet car! Yeah, you gotta love a tire that performs this well while looking this good.

ya exactly, i wish i would have put them back on again when i switched rim setups, but just threw on a set of nitto dr's and said good enough.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I am using mine for daily drivers, but haven't driven through significant rain in them yet. The tread pattern and depth are encouraging for wet weather driving, however. As much as I hate driving in the rain, I am looking forward to testing them out...may have to hit an empty parking lot during the next storm to see how they do through standing water and cornering. I'd be happy to give a report once I have had a chance to do this.

For comparison's sake, I was very impressed with how the Nitto DR's did in the rain, even when the tread was mostly worn. My hope is that with a similar tread pattern, more tread depth, and a softer compound, the R888's will perform at least as good as the Nittos in wet weather...if not better.

Tmac01baller

Established Member
I am using mine for daily drivers, but haven't driven through significant rain in them yet. The tread pattern and depth are encouraging for wet weather driving, however. As much as I hate driving in the rain, I am looking forward to testing them out...may have to hit an empty parking lot during the next storm to see how they do through standing water and cornering. I'd be happy to give a report once I have had a chance to do this.

For comparison's sake, I was very impressed with how the Nitto DR's did in the rain, even when the tread was mostly worn. My hope is that with a similar tread pattern, more tread depth, and a softer compound, the R888's will perform at least as good as the Nittos in wet weather...if not better.

Yeah post up your experience after driving them in the rain. I'm probably going to just buy them anyway as they seem like the tire to get. And thanks again for all the info you've provided.

mach1033

Established Member

Just curious what are you using for front tire's? I have Nitto street tire's the nt555's extreme's. Very good in wet weather and corning. But with a little over 600 to the wheels at full boost they spin very bad. I was leaning towards the Nitto DR's but after reading this maybe I will try these tire's. My pick up has better off the line acceleration lol.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
where is the best place to buy them?

My suggestion is to do a google product search on "Proxes R888 xxx/xx/xx" and list the results by price (note: replace xxx/xx/xx with your desired tire size). That's what I did anyway. I purchased mine from treadepot.com.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Just curious what are you using for front tire's? I have Nitto street tire's the nt555's extreme's. Very good in wet weather and corning. But with a little over 600 to the wheels at full boost they spin very bad. I was leaning towards the Nitto DR's but after reading this maybe I will try these tire's. My pick up has better off the line acceleration lol.

I have Yokohama AVS ES100 tires on the front. IMO these are the best bang for the buck. I've run these on the front for almost five years now. They are excellent at shedding water, handle very well, have great steering response and excellent wear characteristics. You may have trouble finding these in certain sizes, however. I think they are being phased out with the introduction of the S.Drive tire. I got mine at a closeout price of $90 each :banana:

I've been waiting for the perfect rear tire for quite some time now (since purchasing the Cobra in 2003). The Nitto DR's are very good for daily driving...don't get me wrong. But they tend to be narrower than other 315mm DR's and I like wide rear tires. They also rank last among all other DR's for dry traction. With 600 at the wheels, you'll spin these easily. The best part about the R888's is that they deliver better traction, cornering capability that a DR could never offer, while also allowing daily use (including wet weather driving). To me, this is the perfect combination for a rear tire.

Users who are viewing this thread