Few Parts Installed. JLT CF, Smoked Corners, Hood Lifts

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
'09 VB.

Have had quite a few parts laying around waiting to be installed, just now getting around to putting them on.

First up, JLT Blue CF radiator cover, extensions and fuse box lid. Have the CAI waiting to go on shortly.

Everything fits well and looks great, though I do wish he'd make the entire panel "of a piece" now...Jay you listening...:poke:

I left my side panels off in the end because it was going to take a little extra time to get them to 'sit' properly. Nothing major, just patience.

I thought it might be a little overboard; but in person the blue CF really goes with the car and looks great.

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

NXT Generation Hood Lift supports from Barry @ Bangastang. Painted to match, straight from NXT.

These get rid of the hood prop rod and hold the hood open very nicely. I wanted something that looked OEM and didn't have the typical flat-plate brackets like most systems use. Didn't want to drill a hole f/rivets like the Redline kits either. I didn't care about the units "lifting" the hood, just wanted to hold it up, which these do.

I put some teflon sheet (trim to fit) under the parts to hopefully prevent any underlying paint damage if I take them off in the future.

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

Roush Extreme Offroad catback w/SLP LM-1 deletes/tips (didn't like the Roush 4" rolled edge). Plan on going back and adding an SSS Systems delete and SLP's 4" double walled tips; along with a Magnaflow X. This is about the 8th-ish muffler setup I've had, I think this one is going to stay.

Fits OEM; constructed of Aluminized 409SS (yes, you read that right). Small shotgun mufflers w/louvered core. Sounds a lot like BoomTubes, but a little smoother/deeper and moves the sound into the cabin a little instead of it being way out back. Will take clips and post later on.

IMG_2382.jpg

Ziza Lighting, Smoked Turn signal lenses and Stealth Auto Bulbs.

The corners fit great; look OEM and on the VB, it makes them "go away" for the most part, which I like. I had thought about clear, but clear makes them stand out that much more to me. I'll be adding some Headlight Armor "light smoke" overlays to the fogs to tone them down since they now stand out more. The headlights will be left along since they have a black surround in the bucket already.

Stock:
IMG_2350.jpg

Stock w/lights on:
IMG_2355.jpg

Smoked:
IMG_2377.jpg

Smoked w/Stealth bulbs On:
IMG_2364.jpg

Also went with some Smoked rear side markers off Ebay. They all seem to be from the same mfg. for the most part, they fit and look fine. Added some standard 194 "Red" bulbs in place of the stockers. Will go back and add some silicone bulb-cap covers to make them a little more 'red' and not as bright.

Stock:
IMG_2356.jpg

Smoked:
IMG_2359.jpg

Made a shorty 18" antenna out of a stock Ford unit. For the time involved and cost...just go buy an 18" or whatever length you want. Pulling the little ball off required me placing it in a bench vise, thus ruining the paint, so I had to repaint the whole antenna; Dremel/cut stem to length and epoxy the ball back on top. Mine looks great now, but again, for the time involved just look around and get the length you want.

This shot is at dusk, really bad lighting...w/smoked lenses installed. This makes them look a lot darker than they actually are.

IMG_2371.jpg

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Nice round of mods! Love the rear smoked covers!
I will be doing a "round" myself once the weather gets better!

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
I like your hood strut kit, much cleaner install than the other kits, wonder....would if work with a fiberglass hood?? Smoked lights really sharpen these cars up too, looks good

jaystang

Established Member
Looks sweet!!:rockon:

I've been thinking of doing the turn signal mods as well...

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I like your hood strut kit, much cleaner install than the other kits, wonder....would if work with a fiberglass hood??

They should work fine with *most* typical fiberglass hoods. Since the fact. hood is already lightweight aluminum, most fiberglass ones I've come across weigh about the same.

So long as your aftermarket piece isn't lighter than stock (doubt it is); they'd work fine.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
But...drop that girl a bit:poke:

Dspecs and Steeda's are sitting here; but I dunno if it'll make my driveway with the front dropped.:uh oh: I've got to get a spotter to take a look and see how much clearance I have left :??:

Just got a DSS 1-piece DS, so that and the X are going in next.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Dspecs and Steeda's are sitting here; but I dunno if it'll make my driveway with the front dropped.:uh oh: I've got to get a spotter to take a look and see how much clearance I have left :??:

Just got a DSS 1-piece DS, so that and the X are going in next.

now your talking:beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
could you please elaborate on your exhaust set up?

so you purchased the expensive Roush cat back but replace the axle back with the the SLPs I have?

I dont really care for the tips of the SLPs, I like the FRPP SGT best that I use to own but they were not loud enough. I actually had thought the Roush tips were the same except they say Roush and not Ford Racing. Is this not true?

Do you have any pics of the complete Roush system installed or any chance you could ;)

I was thinking of switching to the entire Roush cat back since its much better than the crimped factory cat back and offered the look of the FRPP mufflers I liked

thanks!

Oh and how does the SLPs sound coupled with the roush cat back? Less back firing and popping ?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Chuck,

I've had a crapload of axle backs and knew up front I wouldn't like many of them from the clips I'd heard. They all stink; just have no 'quality' or depth to the tone. So I've bought a bunch of systems that were used; but like new, cleaned 'em up, try 'em and resell them. So far I haven't lost any money...actually ahead a little bit for now.

SGT's drone like a mofo; just unacceptable for me.

The Roush kit I have uses the same 4" rolled edge tip as the FRPP/Borla pieces; they just say "Roush" stamped into them. This kit has the shotgun mufflers in front of the axle and basically uses an Axle-back delete.

I didn't use the Roush deletes for 2-reasons. (1) I didn't like that they say Roush. (2) I don't like the 4" rolled-edge tips on the back of the S197. Just looks out of place. I much prefer a 3.5" or 4" double wall tip.

For now, I used the SLP LM-1 deletes...(1) I like the tips (2) the smaller tip will reduce some overall volume (3) will dampen any sharp-popping because they're both smaller and the double-wall provides a bit of a resonator/dampening effect. So they "smooth" the note a little. Best way to say it I guess, is the smaller tips don't "Megaphone" the noise like the 4" rolled.

I plan on selling the Roush axle-back deletes in the future. I paid about $450 new for the entire Roush Extreme kit; so I hardly consider it "expensive" compared to what Borla, Corsa and FRPP charge for axle backs. LMK if you want them, just PM me with an offer.

My next move is to swap the stock midpipe out for a Magnaflow Catted X. From there I'll probably use the SSS Systems deletes combined with an SLP 4" double-wall tip.

I'll also try Boomtubes and see how they do paired with the Maggie/Roush combo and see if that is going to be my "quiet" setup.

Of what I have left right now, I've got Boomtubes and a pair of Pypes Violators (full size can). I haven't tried the Pypes at all. I'll try them as well if the BT's aren't satisfactory. When I'm done with all of it I'll sell 'em off.

Sorry to get long winded but I've never heard a GT500 that sounded worth a flip. American Racing and Kooks LT's with certain muffs (Corsa's I think) actually sound "ok" WOT, but they sound like trash down low.

I'm picky about exhaust :lol:

Here's a video of the Roush Extreme O/R system like what I have...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsppEjoF60"]YouTube- GT 500 w/Roush Extreme Off Road Exhaust[/ame]

Link to kit:
ROUSH Performance: ROUSH® Ford Mustang GT Extreme Performance Exhaust Kit

The passenger side tailpipe over-the axle area is much better than stock, not as crushed as the stocker.

They say it'll take an hour, I'm sure it would on a lift, but I was working on my back with jacks so I think it took 2. I can change an axle-back in an hour; the tails took a little extra time to get them snaked over.

This guy also has several clips on his 2010. Same system. Very representative of the sound, though it is a little louder inside than his clips seem.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2sharpie

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Chuck,

I've had a crapload of axle backs and knew up front I wouldn't like many of them from the clips I'd heard. They all stink; just have no 'quality' or depth to the tone. So I've bought a bunch of systems that were used; but like new, cleaned 'em up, try 'em and resell them. So far I haven't lost any money...actually ahead a little bit for now.

SGT's drone like a mofo; just unacceptable for me.

The Roush kit I have uses the same 4" rolled edge tip as the FRPP/Borla pieces; they just say "Roush" stamped into them. This kit has the shotgun mufflers in front of the axle and basically uses an Axle-back delete.

I didn't use the Roush deletes for 2-reasons. (1) I didn't like that they say Roush. (2) I don't like the 4" rolled-edge tips on the back of the S197. Just looks out of place. I much prefer a 3.5" or 4" double wall tip.

For now, I used the SLP LM-1 deletes...(1) I like the tips (2) the smaller tip will reduce some overall volume (3) will dampen any sharp-popping because they're both smaller and the double-wall provides a bit of a resonator/dampening effect. So they "smooth" the note a little. Best way to say it I guess, is the smaller tips don't "Megaphone" the noise like the 4" rolled.

I plan on selling the Roush axle-back deletes in the future. I paid about $450 new for the entire Roush Extreme kit; so I hardly consider it "expensive" compared to what Borla, Corsa and FRPP charge for axle backs. LMK if you want them, just PM me with an offer.

My next move is to swap the stock midpipe out for a Magnaflow Catted X. From there I'll probably use the SSS Systems deletes combined with an SLP 4" double-wall tip.

I'll also try Boomtubes and see how they do paired with the Maggie/Roush combo and see if that is going to be my "quiet" setup.

Of what I have left right now, I've got Boomtubes and a pair of Pypes Violators (full size can). I haven't tried the Pypes at all. I'll try them as well if the BT's aren't satisfactory. When I'm done with all of it I'll sell 'em off.

Sorry to get long winded but I've never heard a GT500 that sounded worth a flip. American Racing and Kooks LT's with certain muffs (Corsa's I think) actually sound "ok" WOT, but they sound like trash down low.

I'm picky about exhaust :lol:

Here's a video of the Roush Extreme O/R system like what I have...

YouTube- GT 500 w/Roush Extreme Off Road Exhaust

Link to kit:
ROUSH Performance: ROUSH® Ford Mustang GT Extreme Performance Exhaust Kit

The passenger side tailpipe over-the axle area is much better than stock, not as crushed as the stocker.

They say it'll take an hour, I'm sure it would on a lift, but I was working on my back with jacks so I think it took 2. I can change an axle-back in an hour; the tails took a little extra time to get them snaked over.

This guy also has several clips on his 2010. Same system. Very representative of the sound, though it is a little louder inside than his clips seem.

YouTube - 2sharpie's Channel

I agree with your taste and feelings about all this stuff but still am not completely understanding all of your post. I have the SLP deletes right now and I am assuming they are the same as what you have. I like the sound but do not care for the cheap popping sound on decel and I also do not like the factory crimped over the axle tubing which I know the Roush provides.

Knowing that, and I loved the way my FRPP SGT/Borla axle backs looked, will I like the look and sound of the Roush kit you have? I am interested in your kit depending on condition and price of course, but I don't have my car right now so its gota wait a lil bit.

I am not sure I know the difference between rolled edge and double walled.

I completely agree, I cant believe how tough it is to get the GT500 to sound good although every single person that hears my car loves the way it sounds and not just "for a GT500 it sounds good" lol. I do like the slp delete sound but sorta cheap sounding as well, not much tone to em just loud!

This weekend when I get my car back, maybe I'll give you a ring or something to discuss?

:beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
Hey one last question sorry, how far out do the roush tips stick out? and compared to the slp tips which stick out far enouhg IMO

I remember how the FRPP 5GTs stuck out pretty far while the SGTs were completely flush, curious how the Roush system compares

thx!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Hey one last question sorry, how far out do the roush tips stick out? and compared to the slp tips which stick out far enouhg IMO

I remember how the FRPP 5GTs stuck out pretty far while the SGTs were completely flush, curious how the Roush system compares

thx!

Yeah PM your # and I'll discuss it with you or we can take it to PM's :beer:

Let's see if I can boil it down a little easier.

Break the system down into 3-main sections.

1) Midpipe
2) Tailpipes
3) Axle back

Now, in this case right now we're only dealing with the over-axle Tails and Axleback sections.

Right now I am running: Roush Extreme Tails w/ SLP deletes (same as you) for the axle back. So I have added the Roush Extreme mufflers under the car compared to you just running the SLP's.

The Roush Extreme Exhaust puts the mufflers in front of the axle housing. This gives a deeper/smoother note with less popping than running the stock tails and SLP deletes.

I have NOT run the Roush axle-back delete section. They're included in the Extreme catback system (refer to pic in the link posted previously). I didn't even bolt it on because I didn't like the tips.

If you're not happy with your SLP deletes; you won't like the Roush Deletes any better as far as the sound goes. Deletes are deletes, just pic your tip. Just know that the tip size/design can play with the sound a little bit (not major, just some).

This is a double-walled tip (folded back onto itself and runs the length of the tip).

35123.jpg

This is a rolled-edge tip (a single-wall slash cut tip with only the outer edge rolled inward onto itself)

35136.jpg

The double-walled tip creates a hollow space between the inner and outer walls of the tip; thus acting like a resonator (think pipe inside a pipe, but weld the gap between the two shut on the ends, thus creating an air chamber). A resonator looks like this and would have no louvered or perforated core...

RESONATORS.gif

Now, as far as the SGT vs. 5GT; those have single wall "rolled edge" tips. The 5GT was meant for the regular 3V GT; the SGT was revised and baffled for the GT500; tip length was adjusted between the two for valance/rear bumper covers as well which is why the 5GT's stuck out a little farther.

The video clip links are all I have to refer you to on the Roush system, but I would *expect* them to stick out more similar to the SGT or just a little farther.

What I was trying to explain regarding my current system is that it doesn't "megaphone" the sound out behind the car due to the smaller 3.5" SLP tips. Both the smaller size and double-wall construction reduce the exit volume slightly compared to the standard Roush 4" single wall rolled edge tips. Thus, my current setup is slightly smoother and deeper, with a touch less volume than what is in the video clips I posted.

Now hopefully this is making sense by now...

IF you liked the way your SGT's looked (tips) and you want the overall volume of your SLP LM-deletes but with less popping and a little more depth; just buy the Roush Extreme Catback kit and try it. It will get rid of the crimped tailpipe and give you the 4" rolled-edge tips you liked; they look like the SGT's basically but say "Roush" stamped into them. Your car will sound like the sound clips I posted a previously above (the 2010 GT500 clips are very accurate).

Some of my post was rambling about some other axle backs I have that I will pair up with the Roush Extreme mid-muffler setup once I put the Magnaflow X on the car.

Maybe this clears a few things up :beer:

Last edited:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Looks good man!

I am curious about the hood shocks. I have the Redline ones...and had them before so, I went with them again. I like them however yours intrigue me. Do they bolt on without drilling? Do they push the hood straight up? They look like they hold the hood way up...and when you say they don't lift..meaning you have to push the hood to a certain level..then they kick in?

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Looks good man!

I am curious about the hood shocks. I have the Redline ones...and had them before so, I went with them again. I like them however yours intrigue me. Do they bolt on without drilling? Do they push the hood straight up? They look like they hold the hood way up...and when you say they don't lift..meaning you have to push the hood to a certain level..then they kick in?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Looks good man!

They bolt right on. No muss no fuss no drilling. You have to remove 1-hoseclamp-type clip on the passenger side that holds the washer fluid hose in place.

Once installed, they hold the hood at virtually the same angle as the stock prop rod did. They don't 'cram the hood up' at all. Don't go by the strut angle in the pics, they're actually pretty short compared to the Redlines and install at a different angle as well.

When lifting the hood, if you get it around 80% up and it's a warm day, these would take over (say chin high, I'm 5' 11").

These are hood supports, they hold it up and lift it the last little bit, but they do aid in helping you lift the hood so it's a little easier to lift the hood now than stock.

They do not 'take over' and lift the hood up all the way for you though.

From what I've seen the Redlines actually "lift" the hood for you, which I cared nothing about. I wanted something that looked stock and safely held the hood open, which mine do.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Yeah PM your # and I'll discuss it with you or we can take it to PM's :beer:

Let's see if I can boil it down a little easier.

Break the system down into 3-main sections.

1) Midpipe
2) Tailpipes
3) Axle back

Now, in this case right now we're only dealing with the over-axle Tails and Axleback sections.

Right now I am running: Roush Extreme Tails w/ SLP deletes (same as you) for the axle back. So I have added the Roush Extreme mufflers under the car compared to you just running the SLP's.

The Roush Extreme Exhaust puts the mufflers in front of the axle housing. This gives a deeper/smoother note with less popping than running the stock tails and SLP deletes.

I have NOT run the Roush axle-back delete section. They're included in the Extreme catback system (refer to pic in the link posted previously). I didn't even bolt it on because I didn't like the tips.

If you're not happy with your SLP deletes; you won't like the Roush Deletes any better as far as the sound goes. Deletes are deletes, just pic your tip. Just know that the tip size/design can play with the sound a little bit (not major, just some).

This is a double-walled tip (folded back onto itself and runs the length of the tip).

35123.jpg

This is a rolled-edge tip (a single-wall slash cut tip with only the outer edge rolled inward onto itself)

35136.jpg

The double-walled tip creates a hollow space between the inner and outer walls of the tip; thus acting like a resonator (think pipe inside a pipe, but weld the gap between the two shut on the ends, thus creating an air chamber). A resonator looks like this and would have no louvered or perforated core...

RESONATORS.gif

Now, as far as the SGT vs. 5GT; those have single wall "rolled edge" tips. The 5GT was meant for the regular 3V GT; the SGT was revised and baffled for the GT500; tip length was adjusted between the two for valance/rear bumper covers as well which is why the 5GT's stuck out a little farther.

The video clip links are all I have to refer you to on the Roush system, but I would *expect* them to stick out more similar to the SGT or just a little farther.

What I was trying to explain regarding my current system is that it doesn't "megaphone" the sound out behind the car due to the smaller 3.5" SLP tips. Both the smaller size and double-wall construction reduce the exit volume slightly compared to the standard Roush 4" single wall rolled edge tips. Thus, my current setup is slightly smoother and deeper, with a touch less volume than what is in the video clips I posted.

Now hopefully this is making sense by now...

IF you liked the way your SGT's looked (tips) and you want the overall volume of your SLP LM-deletes but with less popping and a little more depth; just buy the Roush Extreme Catback kit and try it. It will get rid of the crimped tailpipe and give you the 4" rolled-edge tips you liked; they look like the SGT's basically but say "Roush" stamped into them. Your car will sound like the sound clips I posted a previously above (the 2010 GT500 clips are very accurate).

Some of my post was rambling about some other axle backs I have that I will pair up with the Roush Extreme mid-muffler setup once I put the Magnaflow X on the car.

Maybe this clears a few things up :beer:

Excellent thanks a lot!

Only one rebuttle haha

You say a delete is a delete is a delete but yet you say the Roush kit does have a muffler in front of the axle so why would I assume that sounds like my current set up? I am unsure what exactly is done to the Roush cat back as far as muffler goes, I assume it is just a perforated resonator like the pic you posted. Have you found that the Roush muffler/resonator affects the sound of the exhaust at all?

I'm surprised you don't like Roush tips. The SLP tips are nice but I wish they were slash cut. I wonder if there is any power difference between any of these setups. Probably not.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread