Reworking the factory strut tower brace to fit the FRPP/Whipple CAI

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Bored and tired of watching 55mph winds blowing trees down all day, I figured I'd finally take a crack at the STB issue I have had ever since I finished up adding FRPP's 2.9 Whipple kit. This wasn't something I've lost sleep over as the car was fine without it. I just don't like stopping at a perceived dead end when I know there is always another way.

That said, I pondered finding another STB for raw material (if necessary) and found that Shleppy American was selling take-off units for $15 plus shipping. I've had the extra bar for half a year now as well as the original bar laying around for a year or so. So I started yesterday afternoon by laying both out on some horses.

IMAG0351.jpg

So I stood there and stared at them brainstorming as to the best way to come up with one bar that would clear everything, not be compromised, and not look like ass. Cut in the middle...cut each end...splice here...or there...then I knew. After taking some quick measurements, I saw that I could simply cut the end bracket off the driver side, tweak the bar and bracket, then re-weld. The bar would not have as much surface area at the point of fusion when welded to the bracket (it gets effectively shorter when bent more than it already was) but I had an idea there too.

Anyhoo, I picked one of the two and plugged in my cheap ass Dremel, armed with a little zip cutting wheel. The idea was to cut the factory welds off and free the STB of the bracket on the driver side.

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

Big brother stopped by for cleanup duty...

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

To better illustrate the geometry issue the Whipple CAI kit causes with the factory POS brace, I removed the two inner strut tower nuts from their respective studs (on each strut) and laid the bar into place. With the bracket fitting on the passenger side, this is what the driver side looked like...

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

The bar is simply not contoured correctly, necessitating tweakage. The bracket needs to be reworked as well so that it can be more upright.

IMAG0370.jpg

I clamped the bracket to a steel table, made two parallel slices (one on each side of the 'raised' portion where the bar used to be welded to) and started blacksmithing. I reshaped the bar using a number of techniques, taking my time to check fitment on the car with each bend. I found that I needed to narrow down the last inch or so of the bar in order to get the fit I wanted which I accomplished by cutting a slice through the end of the bar, flattening, then re-welding.

IMG_9400.jpg

I took my time welding with some mild steel filler in conjunction with Thoriated Tungsten in my TIG torch and then hit it with a sanding disc. You'd never know...

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

With fit-up mostly complete, I disconnected the battery on the car (as well as the PCM) and laid everything in place and tacked the assembly together.

IMG_9404.jpg

If you look closely at the next shot you can see one of the vertical slices I cut into the bracket so that I could bend it upward. I just wanted to tack at this point then remove everything and weld it up completely up on the table.

IMG_9405.jpg

A clear shot that allows you to see how I had to rework the chromoly tubing to fit around the CAI ducting.

IMG_9406.jpg

IMG_9408.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time welding everything back up. It took a while using a TIG torch (my MIG would have been faster) but I wanted to minimize the heat into the bar near the bend I made. I then laid the welded up piece into place - it fit well.

IMG_9412.jpg

IMG_9415.jpg

I now have ~3/8" clearance between the STB and the intake tube. I primed it up this afternoon, painted it tonight, and will have it in place tomorrow.

Not a total waste of time but I will admit, this was a time consuming pain in the ass. I wanted to get away from stationary table welding with a TIG torch and this project allowed me to at least practice some out of position welding as well as trying to work the Tungsten into some tight spots. It was good practice. I'll follow up with some installed shots when the paint cures.

Tob

Last edited:

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
fantastic as usual :)---my mechanic, Eric, did exactly the same thing two days ago...we decided not to go that route and will fab a custom STB option...I'll share it when it is completed :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Michael. I look forward to seeing what you and your mechanic came up with - yet again.

Tob

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
great work as usual, but seems like a bad time value project. that thin little thing can't offer a lot of structural support.

but it looks good though! lol

pony23

Established Member
Nice TOB!!!! I was looking yesterday at trying to fit my Ford Racing brace on with the Whipple intake. That bar is wayyyy off but can not be reworked as easily as the bar you have. I might be following in your foot steps with this. Copying is the best form of flattery. :)

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
The mind that never rests. Excellent job. I was lazy and just brought the FRPP lol. Nice job. I look forward to reading TOB's how threads rather than looking at HP TV.

scmustangs

Established Member
Nice job Tob! Sure would like to have one of those modified stb's. Put me on the list.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's done and not without caveat. More on that in a bit.

If it'll help anyone else pondering the same, I took some comparison shots of my modified STB next to the stocker. For the flamboyant GT500 owners out there, I used a pink theme just for you.

IMG_9420.jpg

IMG_9422.jpg

IMG_9424.jpg

IMG_9429.jpg

Yeah, the lighting I had going on stunk. What with it snowing pretty good today here, I really wasn't in the mood to pull the car out in search of better natural light (we don't see the sun until late may anyway around here:(). So my apologies if the level of detail isn't up to par.

Again, here's the stock bar in place on the passenger side but resting on the CAI tube on the drivers side...

IMG_9436.jpg

And here's my V1.0 STB in place and fastened...

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg

IMG_9444.jpg

IMG_9449.jpg

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9456.jpg

The bar makes contact with the hood blanket at the driver side far extreme. I could take it off (I've already had it on and off two or three times for various TF vent installs) and not worry about it but I think I'll just trim it carefully and tastefully. Were a V2.0 in the works, I'd probably be able to hug the CAI tube just a little more - I have 1/2" of clearance at the closest point right now.

No biggie. Anyway, its on there for now and all is well.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
nice work

seems as if you have too much time on your hands... LOL

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Was at my brothers doing some final cleaning of the engine bay area and think I have made a discovery. My STB has plenty of clearance and his was hitting, the reason he never ran one. Did a small experiment and this is what we discovered. Using the metal airbox that came with the whipple, he can use the tubular brace that your using with no clearance problems.

It appears that the metal box actually sits lower in the car than the factory plastic box that seals up to the hood. Down side, you have to cut the fender tab to install the metal box. No biggie since nothing is hooked up to it. Hood cable has to be moved back to the previous hole. Other than that it worked. Just installed the plastic air duct from a newer 500 to funnel air into his. To bad the snake is blocking some of the airflow. Just an alternative.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Most don't know that the factory STB will indeed clear the Whipple and that its just the tube from the airbox to the TB that is the issue...

CIMG0040-3.jpg

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Yeah, more in depth to what I was saying. With the metal airbox it puts the tube at greater downward angle since it is sitting lower. Pic of mine, will take some of his if I can get by there tomorrow after work. The tube points downward coming off the TB. I have the whipple and he is jusing the JLT with no clearance issues now.

When it comes off the TB it heads downard.
img0309f.jpg

The whipple is sort of flat where it enters the TB giving more clearance then if it were totally round
img0308zq.jpg

You can actually see where the CAI is below the STB point
img0307c.jpg

The STB will clear with no problem but that is only with the metal box. It doesn't have the 2 inch risers like the stock box does where it bolts to the frame.

img0485srt.jpg

He has the round brace but it fits. After never using it for the last 3 years, it's up there. I told him what ever flexing was happening the damage is done lol

Users who are viewing this thread