170 hybrid thermostat testing and driving impressions.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Here is the data from my preliminary testing and driving impressions of the 170* degree hybrid stat that Jmproductions built.

Info and background on this thermostatstat can be found in the thread below, with specific details on page 3 of that thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510129

My current cooling setup is a follows:
OEM 180* stat with (4) 1/8 in holes drilled in it
Fluidyne radaitor
80% distilled water, 20% coolant and a bottle of Water Wetter.

Fan settings:
190* low on
196* high on
185* high off
180* low off.

The only thing that was changed for these tests was the thermostat.

I started with a warm up test by letting the car idle in my garage until it got up to temp. Then when the fan kicked on at 190* I recorded the time it took for the temp to drop from 190* to 180*

4 hole OEM stat -
80* ambient
82* cold coolant temp at beginning of test.

170* - 10:41
180* - 13:12
190* - 14:50
190* to 180* recovery - 1:08

170 Hybrid stat -
81* ambient
84* cold coolant temp at beginning of test.

170* - 9:13
180* - 13:25
190* - 15:02
190* to 180* recovery - 1:08

The results are about what I expected for the 170* stat. The car stayed at 176* for over 2 minutes until the radiator was heatsoaked, and then the temp began to rise again. To optimize the hybrid stat you will want to adjust the fan settings a bit lower. The higher fan settings are also a disadvantage for the 170 hybrid stat in my warm up tests.

Fan settings you will want to use for the 170 hybrid stat:
184* low on
190* high on
180* high off
183* low off.

These are a good place to start. You can adjust them depending on climate, and how much you are annoyed by the sound of the fan.

Driving impressions:

The car runs 3-5 degrees cooler on the highway, and recovery times in traffic have dropped by roughly 25%. This is hard to quantify scientifically because there are so many variables, but the car did cool down faster when the fan came on in traffic. I drove for about an hour with each stat, taking notes and recording times in city driving. Highway recovery was about the same as with the OEM drilled stat. Also the coolant temp stayed more consistent. The coolant temp with the 170 hybrid was about a 10 degree swing where the drilled OEM was about a 15+ degree swing in city driving.

Why is the 170 degree hybrid better?

The key reason this thermostat works better is because of the bypass block off. The OEM thermostat does not fully open until around 212 degrees. We were fixing this by drilling holes in it to get more coolant flow at lower temps. We still had the problem of the bypass not being fully closed off until 212, which caused the system to let coolant constantly bypass the radiator. Many aftermarket stats that you buy from the auto parts store are not high flow, or do not have the correct sized bypass block off plate. The hybrid is a 100% compatible fitment, and fully opens by 180 degrees.

If you have any questions about the hybrid stat or this testing please let me know.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very nice and helpful write-up. I think this is going to be a popular mod. Nice to see innovative products still emerging for the Terminator.

Phxcobra

Established Member
How was burping the hybrid thermometer compared to the drilled stockers? Was it easier to burp the drilled on?

doubleblack

Established Member
awesome info as usual LOF...one quick question, kinda off topic...but doesn't it take forever to burp the system after you've replaced the thermostat...it seems like you're up and running shortly after you've swapped your thermostats...is there a fast way you're burbing...or is there minimal water lost when swapping the thermostat? I have yet to replace mine...

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
awesome info as usual LOF...one quick question, kinda off topic...but doesn't it take forever to burp the system after you've replaced the thermostat...it seems like you're up and running shortly after you've swapped your thermostats...is there a fast way you're burbing...or is there minimal water lost when swapping the thermostat? I have yet to replace mine...

Thanks! To answer your question, here are a couple tips to get it burped fast.

Make sure you have the burp plug in the crossover tube loose before you start any cooling system work. It also helps to have the car on level ground when you fill it with coolant.

When you are done with the work and ready to refill, have both the cap and the plug off. Fill from the reservoir until it is at the cold full level. Put on the cap at this point.

Continue filling from the burp plug until the crossover tube is full. Then put in the burp plug. the burp plug only need to be FINGER TIGHT, or slightly more.

The car should be filled enough to drive with out over heating. You may still have a small air bubble in the system. Go for a drive to get the thermostat to cycle. When the car cools back down, check the coolant level in the reservoir. If it lower than where you filled it, you probably had an air bubble. Remove the burp plug, and if the water is not at or very close to the top of the crossover tube, top it off and replace the plug finger tight.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks! To answer your question, here are a couple tips to get it burped fast.

Make sure you have the burp plug in the crossover tube loose before you start any cooling system work. It also helps to have the car on level ground when you fill it with coolant.

When you are done with the work and ready to refill, have both the cap and the plug off. Fill from the reservoir until it is at the cold full level. Put on the cap at this point.

Continue filling from the burp plug until the crossover tube is full.
At this point I jam a funnel with some tape wrapped around the bottom to seal it to the tube opening. Keep it 2" full with coolant, air bubbles will escape for about 10 min or so while the car is warm and idling. Replace plug. This will get most of the air out. Drive the car as Ashley says. After the car completely cools down you will need to add just a bit more coolant at the crossover plug.

Repeat fill after cool-down as necessary.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i'm interested in one of these for sure. i'm seeing coolant temps of 210 degrees routinely, down here in tampa. i'm not ready for an aftermarket radiator just yet, though

Cobrinator

Established Member
170 Thermostat

Thank you everyone for the vast amount of information I have harvested from this site regarding the 03-04 Cobras. After reading about these thermostats for a bit I found a 170 degree Stock style thermostat that is available for these cars. No offense Joel but I just could not bring myself to spend ~$70 on any thermostat. The brand of the alternative is Motorad and the part number is 2028-170. They are on ebay for $10 and Kenne Bell includes these in their supercharger kits in the 180* version. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread