Steps to cut stock springs?

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Just curious how you would go about cutting the stock springs? Cause a friend on the forums did it and the stance is amazing. How difficult would it be? Thanks

jt239

Established Member
Gotta do a search man, there are a ton of threads on it. Its not difficult to cut them.

Last edited:

homer302

Banned
I am pretty sure there is not a single original question anywhere on this site at this point. Why don't we just close the Terminator thread and just let people search? :shrug:
Everytime someone asks a question, people who have had them since 2003 just pile on to try to make them feel bad for asking. I say have a mod close this thread and put it to rest. So what if you just got yours in 2009? Too bad for you.

MVD

Established Member
Just curious how you would go about cutting the stock springs? Cause a friend on the forums did it and the stance is amazing. How difficult would it be? Thanks

It is not difficult at all. Remove the springs you want to cut, trim them and reinstall.

If you know how to turn a wrench it's a 2-3 hour job tops.

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Thanks for the help mvd. Someone told me use a grinder. I just wanna cut 1 coil on each spring. I'm just hesitant on my ability cause its my dd and I don't wanna mess it up.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks for the help mvd. Someone told me use a grinder. I just wanna cut 1 coil on each spring. I'm just hesitant on my ability cause its my dd and I don't wanna mess it up.
If it's a DD then I wouldn't go 1 coil. Try 5/8 - 3/4 coil first and see if you like it. Then cut more if you desire. Remember, you can always cut a little more off if you want, you can't add more though. (I would bet you leave it with less than 1 coil)

Also, be sure to drive around a while after you cut them to make sure they settle. (You don't want to cut more and have it settle too low)

I use an air cut off wheel to cut them.
126149.jpg

126151.jpg

Hope this helps.

cbr repsol

Established Member
If it's a DD then I wouldn't go 1 coil. Try 5/8 - 3/4 coil first and see if you like it. Then cut more if you desire. Remember, you can always cut a little more off if you want, you can't add more though. (I would bet you leave it with less than 1 coil)

Also, be sure to drive around a while after you cut them to make sure they settle. (You don't want to cut more and have it settle too low)

126149.jpg

126151.jpg

Hope this helps.
Pics of your car please:burnout:

SLOWBRA

Established Member

126149.jpg

126151.jpg

Hope this helps.

Kevin is absolutely correct. Start with 5/8 and drive on it for a couple of weeks and see if you like it. It will take the huge gap away. 1 coil may be too much for a DD. I cut 5/8 in the rear and 3/4 in the front and am very happy with the outcome.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Here is a car I did for example. 5/8 coil all the way around. (315's with 10.5's on the back)

269190.jpg

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
That looks good man. I think I'll go with 5/8 all the way around and see how that works out. Hopefully my shop teacher will let me use the shop. Lol

C1Sn8k

Established Member
1 coil cut on the front, 3/4 coil rear with stock iso's installed. 10.5" rear wheels. used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel

P3070024.jpg

P3070021.jpg

Last edited:

mustangtw

Established Member
1 coil all the way around with stock iso's. I drive my car everyday, no rubbing or scraping here. You just have to remember you are driving a lowered vehicle so go slow over speed bumps and railroad tracks and take steep inclines at an angle. Also don't pull all the way up in parking lots with the cement block parking stops or raised curbs because you will hit. :beer:

DSCF1624-1.jpg

DSCF1625-1.jpg

DSCF1614-1.jpg

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
Here is a car I did for example. 5/8 coil all the way around. (315's with 10.5's on the back)

269190.jpg

I think you hit it right on the nose, looks great in my opinion. How much is 5/8 of a coil spring. When I lowered my mercury I cut off 2 coils to get it where I wanted.

dubsaks69

Established Member
About how many inches do you think 5/8 will drop? Also does the front tires wear the inside out faster? I dont dont know but it seems like you would need control arms to keep the tires square with the road.

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
I was discussing this with another friend later this evening and the subject of caster camber plates came up. Would I need to get a pair to keep the toe from getting out of line?

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
Save yourself some grief and go rent a good spring compressor and use it on all springs, unless you like wasting time.. And I would do a search and decide on how low you want to go, because trust me, you won't want to be taking the springs out again after you put them back in.. It's kind of a pain in the ass..

Just my $0.02 from last weekend when I cut mine..

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
I was discussing this with another friend later this evening and the subject of caster camber plates came up. Would I need to get a pair to keep the toe from getting out of line?

Yes, you will need them. I was ignorant to this detail before I cut mine, and even if you only take 3/4 of a coil, you'll need them. I took 1 full coil out of my front springs and it reminds me of a pre-runner truck now there is so much negative camber.. Haha!

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I think you hit it right on the nose, looks great in my opinion. How much is 5/8 of a coil spring. When I lowered my mercury I cut off 2 coils to get it where I wanted.
Well, if you look at the picture I posted, that was 3/4 of a coil. 5/8 would be a little less.

About how many inches do you think 5/8 will drop? Also does the front tires wear the inside out faster? I dont dont know but it seems like you would need control arms to keep the tires square with the road.
About 1 1/2 inches aprox. You may need Caster Camber Plates to get the car aligned. (I have seen a handful not need them, but most will)

See above post.

Save yourself some grief and go rent a good spring compressor and use it on all springs, unless you like wasting time.. And I would do a search and decide on how low you want to go, because trust me, you won't want to be taking the springs out again after you put them back in.. It's kind of a pain in the ass..

Just my $0.02 from last weekend when I cut mine..
I have done dozens upon dozens of sets of springs and I never once had to use a springs compressor. It is not needed at all.

If you needed a compressor to do your car then you must have missed a step.

mustangtw

Established Member
Yea, I didn't use a spring compressor when I did mine. Also I didn't have to get it alligned either. No camber/caster plates here. Been about 3K miles since it was done it and tires seem to be wearing even and car is driving straight :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread